Food & Drink

I feel like McDonald's is getting too expensive.

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 8th, 2018 9:25 pm
Jan 16, 2016
10 posts
7 upvotes
Don't go to McDonald's unless you have coupons. If you have no choice but to eat there, order off the value menu. Also get their app for deals and save the stickers from the coffee cups for free hot drinks.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
1002 posts
334 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
yvrtobli wrote:
Oct 6th, 2018 5:52 pm
Don't go to McDonald's unless you have coupons. If you have no choice but to eat there, order off the value menu. Also get their app for deals and save the stickers from the coffee cups for free hot drinks.
Sad (or good) thing is, even with coupons, I haven't eaten there in over a year. I will admit to pulling stickers I find on discarded cups. Even so I still have a stash of them. Did a cross-country RV trip last year with the intention of stopping to have a coffee, and didn't even redeem one.
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2010
4931 posts
1170 upvotes
Aurora
thriftshopper wrote:
Oct 6th, 2018 6:03 pm
I will admit to pulling stickers I find on discarded cups.
LOL. Your signature line befits you!
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
3358 posts
1219 upvotes
Love their coffee. Tell them to add some cream or milk in there, let it cool then stick it in the fridge over night and now you got mcd iced coffee without the ice. Tastes amazing.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
31146 posts
5890 upvotes
Ottawa
badOne wrote:
Oct 7th, 2018 12:06 am
Love their coffee. Tell them to add some cream or milk in there, let it cool then stick it in the fridge over night and now you got mcd iced coffee without the ice. Tastes amazing.
Geez, that used to be called left over cold coffee...:)
In the 21st Century deleting history has become far more important than making it. Anonymous
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
5076 posts
497 upvotes
Scarborough
Even a footlong sub is like >$10 now with tax.......same thing with Mcdz......this hike in min. wage has increased prices on everything everywhere
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13393 posts
2206 upvotes
Toronto
apnayloags wrote:
Oct 7th, 2018 12:54 pm
Even a footlong sub is like >$10 now with tax.......same thing with Mcdz......this hike in min. wage has increased prices on everything everywhere
It's a total miracle that you can still go to dollarama and get a nice cold bottle (591ml) of pepsi for only $1!
Either Pepsi is merely promoting their products or Dollarama is deliberately losing money to get you in the door.
Fast food places sometimes do that.
99 cent burger when you agree to pay full price for a large drink and large fries (even if you really only want a small fries and small refillable cup)
OR
You can always do the survey on the back of the receipt. That allows you to order medium sized pop and fries to get a free burger.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
1002 posts
334 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
lennyandcarl wrote:
Oct 7th, 2018 6:31 pm
and still nobody orders off the value menu in the US except for broke kids!
That's why their savings rate is so low, or negative. Not that ours is much better.
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
3397 posts
1087 upvotes
Mississauga
Prices were going up on fast food long before the minimum wage hike.
Jan 13, 2017
92 posts
25 upvotes
Yeah price for a combo is rising too fast.

In a few years down the road, a combo will cost $20 - big mac + fries + drink Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes

But salary is not rising as fast.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
8175 posts
997 upvotes
Victoria
Shark828 wrote:
Oct 8th, 2018 10:33 am
Yeah price for a combo is rising too fast.

In a few years down the road, a combo will cost $20 - big mac + fries + drink Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes

But salary is not rising as fast.
Plus, McDonald's advantage used to be it was cheaper than the competition. Cheaper than A&W, Wendy's and BK. Now it's not. At the same price point I'd much rather have A&W. They're more consistent across the board and their burgers are better.
Jun 11, 2010
860 posts
447 upvotes
ottawa
zod wrote:
Oct 8th, 2018 11:59 am
Plus, McDonald's advantage used to be it was cheaper than the competition. Cheaper than A&W, Wendy's and BK. Now it's not. At the same price point I'd much rather have A&W. They're more consistent across the board and their burgers are better.
Agree with this - went to McD to get a 'value' meal and was shocked to see $1.99 for the value menu. Used to be like $1.29, then $1.49, $1.69, but now $1.99 it's hardly a value.

A&W prices are the same, but also places like five guys doesn't seem that much more expensive anymore.
Oct 2, 2018
16 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
I seldom go to McDonald any longer for anything other than perhaps a breakfast combo. I find regular combo's fairly expensive, especially with a family of four.

I have instead channeled my energy into A&W, have coupons on-line all the time so you get a bit of a healthier alternative (no hormones) and i find the burgers taste better. I know some forum members might have a few different log-ins for the A&W coupons, i found that if i open up the coupon i can take a screen shot of it and use the same coupon over and over. Each coupon is the same bar code, so i quickly check to see the coupons are still live but use my screenshots for scanning. When new coupons come out i delete the old and screenshot the new.

A&W has the family combo (4 combo's for $21.99), mama burger combo ($4.49)....and a host of other combo's with coupons you access on-line through your cell phone. Upgrade fries to onions rings for a nominal increase and it suits us well.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
31952 posts
8266 upvotes
GTHA
Ballroomblitz1 wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2018 5:56 pm
I seldom go to McDonald any longer for anything other than perhaps a breakfast combo. I find regular combo's fairly expensive, especially with a family of four.

I have instead channeled my energy into A&W, have coupons on-line all the time so you get a bit of a healthier alternative (no hormones) and i find the burgers taste better. I know some forum members might have a few different log-ins for the A&W coupons, i found that if i open up the coupon i can take a screen shot of it and use the same coupon over and over. Each coupon is the same bar code, so i quickly check to see the coupons are still live but use my screenshots for scanning. When new coupons come out i delete the old and screenshot the new.

A&W has the family combo (4 combo's for $21.99), mama burger combo ($4.49)....and a host of other combo's with coupons you access on-line through your cell phone. Upgrade fries to onions rings for a nominal increase and it suits us well.
Hormones occur naturally in all animals, people and plants. There is no hormone-free beef.

A&W serves beef raised without the use of hormones or steroids.

from https://awguarantee.ca/en/faq/beef/