Food & Drink

I feel like McDonald's is getting too expensive.

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 31st, 2018 2:21 am
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2009
3798 posts
5513 upvotes
Ontario
I paid $7.49 for the Mighty Angus Range burger--that was some price shock. However, i did not miss the pop and fries at all.
2019-roll out the gold carpet!
Jul 14, 2017
8 posts
1 upvote
yah! mcd is getting too exp.
especially when it's the customers order the food themselves... it's like we're working, and paying for it :S
Mar 6, 2015
244 posts
96 upvotes
Alert, Nunavut
I pretty much only go there for free stuff and dollar coffee. Their junk food is overpriced when A&W always has coupons that offer better food for around the cost as McD+coupon.

Maybe that's why I won like monopoly only once with 30 cups of coffee lol.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13582 posts
2305 upvotes
Toronto
HEY? Wages are higher in Australlia, yet they can do "30 days 30 deals". One of the deals is a $1.50 (their money) chicken burger.
$1.50 in their money is approximately $1.43 Canadian. Where is our Canadian version of that? 30 days, 30 deals $1.45 each maybe? (rounded up, but some daily deals are only $1 there on their app)

There is also a $6 dinner deal in the States. (no app required) Surely Canada can afford to offer a similar deal for a slightly higher price.
Last edited by playnicee1 on Nov 7th, 2018 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13582 posts
2305 upvotes
Toronto
A McCafe is now open @ College & Spadina (No Burgers, just over priced grilled cheese and other fancy sandwiches)
They'll offer a good promotional price on select hot beverages, but the food prices are insane.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18115 posts
2802 upvotes
GTA West
My local McD's is a super-packed zoo every morning, filled with university students.
As for myself, I generally only go in when I have a coupon.
I'm working full time yet it seems it's just these poor students who have money to burn. Face With Tears Of Joy
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
Sep 21, 2017
89 posts
35 upvotes
Vancouver
I know a lot of Mcdonald's are franchises but whats the biggest difference in price between locations. Using the mobile order makes it so much easier to compare prices.
For instance West Vancouver the egg McMuffin is $4.49 vs $3.79 downtown Vancouver or Mcdouble is $2.29 vs $1.99, double cheeseburger is $3.09 vs $2.49. I know it's a rich suburb but the prices seem too high there.

But Mcdonalds is almost always packed so it seems their higher prices aren't driving too many customers away.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 29, 2008
6371 posts
1820 upvotes
funcanuck wrote:
Dec 24th, 2018 3:41 pm
I know a lot of Mcdonald's are franchises but whats the biggest difference in price between locations. Using the mobile order makes it so much easier to compare prices.
For instance West Vancouver the egg McMuffin is $4.49 vs $3.79 downtown Vancouver or Mcdouble is $2.29 vs $1.99, double cheeseburger is $3.09 vs $2.49. I know it's a rich suburb but the prices seem too high there.

But Mcdonalds is almost always packed so it seems their higher prices aren't driving too many customers away.
They are hooked.

After not eating McDonald's for like 5-6 years I started eating it again recently. It only started with ordering the fries, then slowly started ordering other stuff. I was hooked. Things were getting out of hand so I stopped going completely. It's been a month and I'm OK now. Don't yearn for it, but the food is addictive. It's probably the salt in it. I used to think about it when I was eating it regularly.

McDonald's doesn't necessarily taste good but people eat it....the food is crack.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
11430 posts
1481 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
funcanuck wrote:
Dec 24th, 2018 3:41 pm

McD's profits have been slowly declining over the last few years. Prices have been driving folks away. They claim the drop has been "refranchising costs" aka renovations but doubt it. Stateside MD's has been losing several hundred mil each year.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
3998 posts
615 upvotes
aznnorth wrote:
Dec 25th, 2018 3:04 pm
McD's profits have been slowly declining over the last few years. Prices have been driving folks away. They claim the drop has been "refranchising costs" aka renovations but doubt it. Stateside MD's has been losing several hundred mil each year.
As of McDonald's Corporation's (this is global) 2018 Q3 earnings report which covers the quarter ending September 30, 2018, global sales increased by 4.2%.
In the U.S., quarterly sales increased by 2.4%, while income increased by 3%.
Internationally outside the U.S., sales increased by 5.4%, while income was flat. However, this takes into account McDonald's having sold its businesses in China, Hong Kong and parts of Australia in 2017 and 2018.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
11430 posts
1481 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Mulder and Scully wrote:
Dec 26th, 2018 1:11 pm
As of McDonald's Corporation's (this is global) 2018 Q3 earnings report which covers the quarter ending September 30, 2018, global sales increased by 4.2%.
In the U.S., quarterly sales increased by 2.4%, while income increased by 3%.
Internationally outside the U.S., sales increased by 5.4%, while income was flat. However, this takes into account McDonald's having sold its businesses in China, Hong Kong and parts of Australia in 2017 and 2018.
I doubt it. Adjusted real earnings will show a decline. Yea when you increases prices, transfer wage costs, and inflation... sure it goes up. My paraphrase was from the WSJ. And adjusted for the sale of businesses it wud even be worse. *welp*
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
3998 posts
615 upvotes
aznnorth wrote:
Dec 26th, 2018 6:31 pm
I doubt it.
Not sure what you're doubting. McDonald's Corporation is a publicly traded company. Their earnings are reported to the SEC. You think McD Corp is intentionally lying to shareholders and the SEC on their filed earnings reports?
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
11430 posts
1481 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Mulder and Scully wrote:
Dec 27th, 2018 8:43 am
Not sure what you're doubting. McDonald's Corporation is a publicly traded company. Their earnings are reported to the SEC. You think McD Corp is intentionally lying to shareholders and the SEC on their filed earnings reports?
AGAIN, earnings are reported at market rates not real rates adjusted. AGAIN, you said urself the grossed up figures include sales of businesses. AGAIN, these reports are legit (by reporting standards... only). If everything "reported" to the SEC is correct there would be no need for analysts who cut thru the BS and interpret the truth. Audited statements are signed off as audited properly under industry financial accounting guidelines - that's all it means. It doesnt mean by analysis that the firm is doing well or not. That's where analysts come in and interpret the data. In fact MANY companies have been charged for corruption under SEC, FTC, and even RICO who have soundly audited statements. Obviously Wall Street Journal, Bloomberg, et al can cut through the BS which you seem to fail at. If WSJ and others are lying wouldnt MD sue for slander and defamation?? And they havent. Next.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
3998 posts
615 upvotes
aznnorth wrote:
Dec 27th, 2018 8:56 am
you said urself the grossed up figures include sales of businesses. AGAIN, these reports are legit (by reporting standards... only). If everything "reported" to the SEC is correct there would be no need for analysts who cut thru the BS and interpret the truth. Audited statements are signed off as audited properly under industry financial accounting guidelines - that's all it means. It doesnt mean by analysis that the firm is doing well or not. That's where analysts come in and interpret the data.
- McD's income is lower due to having sold their businesses in China, Hong Kong and Australia. Those businesses were profitable.
- Analysts, the WSJ and Bloomberg can be as wrong as anyone else. Don't know why you're putting all your faith there. Bloomberg's credibility took a huge hit when they got the story wrong on China and Super Micro infiltrating Amazon and Apple.
- McDonald's did have decreased sales and income, specifically in the U.S. market, during 2014 and 2015. Its international markets, specifically Western Europe, East Asia and Canada, have otherwise continued to perform well during those same years and through to the present.
- You got called out on making a wrong assumption about the present. It could be that the WSJ article you read was from 2014-2015 and that's where you got your info. But McD is profitable today.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
9897 posts
4337 upvotes
Toronto
You guys know if coupons are out today?
aznnorth wrote:
Dec 27th, 2018 8:56 am
AGAIN, earnings are reported at market rates not real rates adjusted. AGAIN, you said urself the grossed up figures include sales of businesses. AGAIN, these reports are legit (by reporting standards... only). If everything "reported" to the SEC is correct there would be no need for analysts who cut thru the BS and interpret the truth. Audited statements are signed off as audited properly under industry financial accounting guidelines - that's all it means. It doesnt mean by analysis that the firm is doing well or not. That's where analysts come in and interpret the data. In fact MANY companies have been charged for corruption under SEC, FTC, and even RICO who have soundly audited statements. Obviously Wall Street Journal, Bloomberg, et al can cut through the BS which you seem to fail at. If WSJ and others are lying wouldnt MD sue for slander and defamation?? And they havent. Next.
Mulder and Scully wrote:
Dec 27th, 2018 9:40 am
- McD's income is lower due to having sold their businesses in China, Hong Kong and Australia. Those businesses were profitable.
- Analysts, the WSJ and Bloomberg can be as wrong as anyone else. Don't know why you're putting all your faith there. Bloomberg's credibility took a huge hit when they got the story wrong on China and Super Micro infiltrating Amazon and Apple.
- McDonald's did have decreased sales and income, specifically in the U.S. market, during 2014 and 2015. Its international markets, specifically Western Europe, East Asia and Canada, have otherwise continued to perform well during those same years and through to the present.
- You got called out on making a wrong assumption about the present. It could be that the WSJ article you read was from 2014-2015 and that's where you got your info. But McD is profitable today.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!