• Last Updated:
  • Jun 21st, 2005 5:00 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2004
1956 posts
2 upvotes
Smack Dab In the Mid…

I find This Amazing

Google and Time Warner market cap is the same now $80 BILLION
Of course Time Warner is a good business with all those cable customers
etc etc etc
Google's barely turning a profit for the first time :twisted: :lol:
Life is not about the number of breaths you take,
rather the moments that take your breath away.
10 replies
Member
Jan 24, 2004
400 posts
Ottawa, Ontario
That's how the market works! That's why you need to look at stuff with a microscope and not just the headlines and stock price.

You want another funny one, look at XM and Sirius.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jul 27, 2004
7557 posts
61 upvotes
Spent wrote:Google's barely turning a profit for the first time :twisted: :lol:
i disagree but i'm too tired to look up numbers
Back for a limited engagement.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
183 upvotes
15-20_God wrote:i disagree but i'm too tired to look up numbers
Yes, Google has been earning money since 2001.

2001: $6,985,000
2002: $99,656,000
2003: $105,648,000
2004: $339,199,999

Oh! These are also estimated after-tax income.

http://investor.google.com/pdf/2004_AnnualReport.pdf
Member
User avatar
Jul 15, 2003
246 posts
BC
Spent wrote: Google's barely turning a profit for the first time :twisted: :lol:
What do you mean??

Google's net income for the 05Q1 was $443M, compared to like $125M year ago same time.

Time Warner isn't that great either, look at their IPO troubles. Market Cap isn't a good comparison because of the different industries they compete in.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
1061 posts
35 upvotes
pardon me, but im jus a bit over noob in finance & stocks

im just wondering.. why wont Google split its stock at such high price per share ?
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
183 upvotes
manho wrote:pardon me, but im jus a bit over noob in finance & stocks

im just wondering.. why wont Google split its stock at such high price per share ?
Because there is no advantage and cost money to do such arrangement?
Sr. Member
Nov 15, 2004
764 posts
2 upvotes
Spent wrote:Google and Time Warner market cap is the same now $80 BILLION
Of course Time Warner is a good business with all those cable customers
etc etc etc
Google's barely turning a profit for the first time :twisted: :lol:
They are difff market and indsutry. In any IT company, it can grow fast very very quickly. However, it can also die off very very quickly.

The best way to compare is look at its growth compare to its market for a period of time (5-10 years at least). Those companies that are great are usually not just a bit over the 2nd place, they are dominating the whole market.

If u want to learn more, i suggest read "From Good to Great" by Jim Collins. Truly "great" book.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 20, 2002
1292 posts
107 upvotes
What's so amazing about Google?

Take a look at JDS Uniphase, they are carrying around minus 67 Billion in retained earnings. A company that can lose that much money and still be in business, that's amazing.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 19, 2001
5086 posts
28 upvotes
Vancouver
manho wrote:pardon me, but im jus a bit over noob in finance & stocks

im just wondering.. why wont Google split its stock at such high price per share ?
Google founders have decided never to split the stock.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Apr 8, 2001
5275 posts
30 upvotes
15-20_God wrote:i disagree but i'm too tired to look up numbers
They r turning a good profit....with good future prospects.
Going after [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=79]ebay's[/rfdlink] ad biz.
******************************************
:twisted:

Top