Careers

I got a test with Service Canada as a Citizen Service Officer

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 1:36 pm
Mar 6, 2021
17 posts
3 upvotes
Hello,

I received a phone call from a hiring manager that i am hired (with condition i get a C in my oral assessment) and that the training will start on March 8th. I had the oral assessment on friday the 5th. I was wondering if there was any delay or did they forget about me ?

Thank you
Mar 1, 2021
47 posts
22 upvotes
Thisismai wrote: Hello,

I received a phone call from a hiring manager that i am hired (with condition i get a C in my oral assessment) and that the training will start on March 8th. I had the oral assessment on friday the 5th. I was wondering if there was any delay or did they forget about me ?

Thank you
You did the interview on Friday and when did you get the call for the training? 2 days is quite fast! Which location did you apply for?

I am sure you will recieve the email for training details today or tomorrow!
Mar 1, 2021
47 posts
22 upvotes
newhereCAN wrote: @arieas
I thought the interviews were pretty straightforward. Maybe spend some time reading the attachments and the breakdown of all the things you will be assessed for? Personally, I found the those to be really useful and gave me an idea what will be questioned. Good Luck tomorrow!
Thanks. Yes i familarized myself with criteria. Interview went great. I loved my interviewers! I interviewed for PM-01 for Scarborough. Anyone else?

Wondering how long after the interview they will contact references and how long it will take to hear back from them?
Mar 1, 2021
47 posts
22 upvotes
I was reading through this thread and I see that some people had to do the written test?

I was never notified about a written evaluation. Does that come after the Oral Interview?

I interviewed yesterday for PM-01. How long do we have to wait for confirmation that we have been entered in the pool?
Feb 25, 2021
41 posts
28 upvotes
@[arieas] That's good to hear! I did my written assessment approximately a week after the oral one.
Mar 1, 2021
47 posts
22 upvotes
newhereCAN wrote: @arieas That's good to hear! I did my written assessment approximately a week after the oral one.
Did they send you a seperate e-mail for the written test? Or was it in the same e-mail in which they sent you for the oral test?
Mar 6, 2021
17 posts
3 upvotes
Let me explain the process ive been through :

Beginning november : i applied to the pm-01/ cr04 position
Mid november : asked to do some exams online : behavior and solving problems (multiple choices answers)
Mid December : Ask for references and background check
January 8th : received an invitation for fingerprints
NO NEWS UNTIL ..... Feb 5th : received a call from hiring manager passport canada telling me i was hired (condition i pass the english oral exam with a C ) she then told me training will start March 8th. As for the English Oral Test, she told me i will receive an invitation soon enough...
WAITING UNTIL Feb 23th : received an invitation for the english oral exam ( DATE OF EXAM MARCH 5H)
So i just did my exam this friday, but the hiring manager told me there was a training starting march 8th....
I find that there arent any communication between RH and candidates. Im feeling a bit anxious since i havent heard from then since the FIRST CALL.
Mar 6, 2021
17 posts
3 upvotes
arieas wrote: I was reading through this thread and I see that some people had to do the written test?

I was never notified about a written evaluation. Does that come after the Oral Interview?

I interviewed yesterday for PM-01. How long do we have to wait for confirmation that we have been entered in the pool?
There should be 2 written tests of your second language evaluation + an oral test.
Mar 1, 2021
47 posts
22 upvotes
Thisismai wrote: Let me explain the process ive been through :

Beginning november : i applied to the pm-01/ cr04 position
Mid november : asked to do some exams online : behavior and solving problems (multiple choices answers)
Mid December : Ask for references and background check
January 8th : received an invitation for fingerprints
NO NEWS UNTIL ..... Feb 5th : received a call from hiring manager passport canada telling me i was hired (condition i pass the english oral exam with a C ) she then told me training will start March 8th. As for the English Oral Test, she told me i will receive an invitation soon enough...
WAITING UNTIL Feb 23th : received an invitation for the english oral exam ( DATE OF EXAM MARCH 5H)
So i just did my exam this friday, but the hiring manager told me there was a training starting march 8th....
I find that there arent any communication between RH and candidates. Im feeling a bit anxious since i havent heard from then since the FIRST CALL.

I don't think you have anything to worry about. If someone already gave you a conditional offer pending the oral test and you just did the oral test... then don't worry. They are probably waiting on your evaluation and you will probably get an e-mail this week confirming your training dates. I am sure they are having more than one training group.

Were the written tests for your second language?

I applied for English essential only. I just had my oral interview yesterday for PM-01.

Wondering if i should be applying for other positions while awaiting a follow up email...what do you think?
Mar 6, 2021
17 posts
3 upvotes
arieas wrote: I don't think you have anything to worry about. If someone already gave you a conditional offer pending the oral test and you just did the oral test... then don't worry. They are probably waiting on your evaluation and you will probably get an e-mail this week confirming your training dates. I am sure they are having more than one training group.

Were the written tests for your second language?

I applied for English essential only. I just had my oral interview yesterday for PM-01.

Wondering if i should be applying for other positions while awaiting a follow up email...what do you think?
Yes my written tests were for my second language (english).

What tests did you do other than the interview ? Did they ask you for the fingerprints ? Background check ?

What department interviewed you?

If I were you, yes i would keep applying for other positions! Never stop until you get an offer !
Mar 6, 2021
17 posts
3 upvotes
hachib wrote: That was me! I haven't heard back since mid Feb either, please keep me updated :) all I heard was that they are hiring for training in the spring, so IF we're chosen I'm assuming we should be getting contacted soon... fingers crossed!
I wish you guys luck. But i heard or read somewhere that once you are in a pool, the wait can actually be 1-2 years. Basically in the pool, everybody has the qualifications required. Some never get called...
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
7571 posts
3145 upvotes
Canada
dazz wrote: I received a notice from one of my contacts that Toronto is planning to start training around mid March for pm01. That means they are in the hiring phase right now.
Got an update from a contact in Toronto. Scarborough positions( pensions office ) will start training on March 18th. From what it sounded like, they haven't offered it officially to anyone as they don't have contracts ready.
My acquaintance in Edmonton is quiet even though fingers, security,etc were passed many months ago.

On a side note...those that haven't received any notice, it just means you either did not pass one of your tests or of you are in the pool then you are still there and will be there until they decide to pull your name. It could be tomorrow or it very well could be NEVER. Just because you are in the pool, doesn't mean you are guaranteed to be offered anything. They also may end up pulling people's names who had the highest scores( I believe they mention that either on the job description or during the selection process) . If you got 95% on a test and someone got 96% then the 96% person gets pulled while you sit and wait. So, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, don't put your life on hold because you got into a pool for 1 job.
This is why it is a numbers game and the key is to get to as many of these fully assessed pools as possible to increase your chances. 10,000s apply and 100s if not 1000s compete at times for a single opening. I know a person who was in 8 pools( fully assessed, with interviews,etc) before getting an offer after more than 2 years of waiting and already getting another job. Pools always have way more people than they need as they know some refuse positions due to various reasons and other people fail the training. Same goes for training. You will start the training and will be tested. Some will fired, some may quit. This is why they hire more than they need for these "general" positions.

On a totally weird note, I just noticed some people here have ethnic male names. There's that thing with the government...where...they can't just hire everyone of say South Asian descent(example only). There's more... Same goes if you are a female or male. They have to make sure it's a group of people of various ethnic backgrounds, etc...they may have to add some minorities, LGBTQ and disabled folks too to the list of people they have to hire. It's not something that is actively being discussed, but it is what they have to do to create a fair inclusion and equality. It may be easier to get a position in Saskatoon if you are of a background they need, while in a multicultral city such as Toronto it may be harder if you are competing with the folks who have the same background( again, this is an example only). If you just want a government job and you are either have disability or you may be considered a minority or have another background, you may have much higher chances getting into the pool/hired in other cities.
I use voice typing, expect mistakes...
Feb 25, 2021
41 posts
28 upvotes
Wow, thank you @dazz , that's a lot of great info to take into consideration! Yes, it seems like from reading previous posts in the thread, just because we get placed into the pool, doesn't mean we get an offer. It's unfortunate but I guess it's reality as well. I think more people are in need of employment now than ever. GOOD LUCK to everyone who is waiting on an offer!
Mar 1, 2021
47 posts
22 upvotes
Thisismai wrote: Yes my written tests were for my second language (english).

What tests did you do other than the interview ? Did they ask you for the fingerprints ? Background check ?

What department interviewed you?

If I were you, yes i would keep applying for other positions! Never stop until you get an offer !

Hey i am fairly new. I just got the e-mail today for my written evaluation coming up next week.

I had the Oral Interview last week. Doing the written next week.

This is for Scarborough.

Is the written test done on the spot virtually? In the instructions I received, it asked me to e-mail my responses?

Also, do we only get selected for the written test only if we pass the Oral? Or do they just make us do both regardless of score?
Mar 1, 2021
47 posts
22 upvotes
IDchanel wrote: Hope we get pulled from this so called pool soon.
I hope so too! Good luck to you! Did you do your oral and written exams yet?
Mar 6, 2021
17 posts
3 upvotes
arieas wrote: Hey i am fairly new. I just got the e-mail today for my written evaluation coming up next week.

I had the Oral Interview last week. Doing the written next week.

This is for Scarborough.

Is the written test done on the spot virtually? In the instructions I received, it asked me to e-mail my responses?

Also, do we only get selected for the written test only if we pass the Oral? Or do they just make us do both regardless of score?
Hi there,

I dont know if its different depending which location you are in. But as for me, I had the online behavior test, then, online english written tests, background check and fingerprint, then the english oral evaluation (on Teams) in that order.

Also, for your written test, is it the english comprehension test or the behavior test ?

For all my tests, it was online and they send me an invitation with a link and the date/hour that i need to do the tests.

If they sent you an invitation for the writing assessment, it probably means you are good to go to the next step.

Good luck :)
Mar 8, 2021
22 posts
2 upvotes
arieas wrote: I hope so too! Good luck to you! Did you do your oral and written exams yet?
This is all over the place. I only did written exam, interview, references were contacted. Then received an email for background check. Another email telling me that I was in the pool 2 weeks ago. Today, I received an email telling me to go do the fingerprints. Is the oral exam next? I don't know.
Mar 1, 2021
47 posts
22 upvotes
IDchanel wrote: This is all over the place. I only did written exam, interview, references were contacted. Then received an email for background check. Another email telling me that I was in the pool 2 weeks ago. Today, I received an email telling me to go do the fingerprints. Is the oral exam next? I don't know.

I think you are good. Oral exam is the interview! Could you confirm if the written exam is done within one day? And do they make you email them?
Mar 6, 2021
17 posts
3 upvotes
IDchanel wrote: This is all over the place. I only did written exam, interview, references were contacted. Then received an email for background check. Another email telling me that I was in the pool 2 weeks ago. Today, I received an email telling me to go do the fingerprints. Is the oral exam next? I don't know.
Yes, you are right. Its all over the place. Difference process for different area. Its great thing to hear that you got some news back after being placed in a pool. Maybe a hiring manager wants to go forward with you, thats why they asked you to do the fingerprints ?

Good luck !

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)