• Last Updated:
  • Aug 26th, 2016 2:40 pm
Tags:
Aug 19, 2015
6 posts
2 upvotes
Mississauga, ON

I hate my office job, should I quit?

First, if you are young, offended and unemployed, hell with you. Enjoy you unemployment months/years while it lasts. Your never going to have such time to enjoy and cry about life. Yes, you need money, but hell with money. Enjoy anything free, make friends, enjoy the beautiful world while your still alive.

But anyways, let me continue with my rant.

I. Hate. My. Office. Job.

Haaaated it. Hate. Hate the people. Hate the artificial lighting, the douchebags, the whiners, the gossip whores, is there any hope in humanity?

Sitting down 8 hours a day, breathing in people's flatulence, breathing in people'e ****.

I am 25 but for f**** sake, continue like this for another 40 years.....NO! Hell no!

Im good with helping people, have strong emotional intelligence, can spot when help is needed. Maybe Ill be a social worker, nurse, maybe Ill be a park cleaner for the city.

Is there any hope in me? Is it too late? Wasted $29342.43 on a university education where the only thing I learned was how to scam people. If your wondering, a business/math degree.

Im too young, too tired of hearing people's **** everyday. I'm not an introvert but I just don't give a ***** anymore. There is no meaning to the work.

I don't want to sit my ass staring at JDE all the time. I want to help people. Helping people makes me feel good, staring at statistical models makes me want to jump off a bridge.

And no, if you are wondering, Office Space and Into the Wild did not influence me.

So...what should I do? Get married, have children and become a slave to the job or find something that I love and move forward in life.

I know this is normal in young people (or maybe everybody working like slave) but I am in the extreme end.

So...what should I do? Buy lottery tickets?
61 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
5687 posts
1297 upvotes
Toronto
Be a male gigolo!

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Jul 2, 2009
120 posts
14 upvotes
Montreal
How long have you had this job?
Is this your first job since graduation?

If you've had this job for less than 2 years, give it a little bit more time before making a move.

If you've been there for over 2 years but this is your first job since graduation, change company 100%. It's not because your work for a bad company that all companies in your field are bad or won't fit you...

You can always start looking for an alternative without leaving your job right away.
Nov 15, 2008
754 posts
178 upvotes
Dude, I feel your pain. Office work is hell. The stupid lame generic jokes, the passive aggressive conversations, the endless apologizing for every little slight, the FAKE CHEERINESS, the dumb bosses, the stupid pointless work...god it's really soul sucking. I've only been doing it for five years and I think if I don't get out I'm going to clinically go crazy. It is a completely garbage way to spend the majority of your waking hours.
Oct 29, 2013
283 posts
47 upvotes
Resign.

It will give an opportunity for someone else who is eager to work and make $_$
Dec 30, 1969
113 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
WyantB wrote:
Jun 20th, 2016 10:16 pm
First, if you are young, offended and unemployed, hell with you. Enjoy you unemployment months/years while it lasts. Your never going to have such time to enjoy and cry about life. Yes, you need money, but hell with money. Enjoy anything free, make friends, enjoy the beautiful world while your still alive.

Haaaated it. Hate. Hate the people. Hate the artificial lighting, the douchebags, the whiners, the gossip whores, is there any hope in humanity?

Sitting down 8 hours a day, breathing in people's flatulence, breathing in people'e ****.

I am 25 but for f**** sake, continue like this for another 40 years.....NO! Hell no!

Im good with helping people, have strong emotional intelligence, can spot when help is needed. Maybe Ill be a social worker, nurse, maybe Ill be a park cleaner for the city.

Is there any hope in me? Is it too late? Wasted $29342.43 on a university education where the only thing I learned was how to scam people. If your wondering, a business/math degree.

Im too young, too tired of hearing people's **** everyday. I'm not an introvert but I just don't give a ***** anymore. There is no meaning to the work.

I don't want to sit my ass staring at JDE all the time. I want to help people. Helping people makes me feel good, staring at statistical models makes me want to jump off a bridge.

And no, if you are wondering, Office Space and Into the Wild did not influence me.

So...what should I do? Get married, have children and become a slave to the job or find something that I love and move forward in life.

I know this is normal in young people (or maybe everybody working like slave) but I am in the extreme end.

Oh so you dont like your job, boo effin who.. nobody does.
Suck it up. Your mommy and daddy didnt pay for your education so you can go and live in their basement for a few more years as you like to fight the system a bit more.
Suck it up like the rest of us. Do very well at your job even if it is something demeaning as cleaning toilets. Have pride in it and stop whining. Work hard to get what you wanna achieve and pretty soon you will be in a much better situation.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2013
1176 posts
214 upvotes
Mecca
WyantB wrote:

Join the club brother. Keep applying to places, meet new people, and look forward to it being better one day.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2007
1728 posts
52 upvotes
Mississauga
baijuxp wrote:
Jun 20th, 2016 10:44 pm
Oh so you dont like your job, boo effin who.. nobody does.
Suck it up. Your mommy and daddy didnt pay for your education so you can go and live in their basement for a few more years as you like to fight the system a bit more.
Suck it up like the rest of us. Do very well at your job even if it is something demeaning as cleaning toilets. Have pride in it and stop whining. Work hard to get what you wanna achieve and pretty soon you will be in a much better situation.
OP be careful or you'll end up like this guy ;)
Jun 12, 2008
611 posts
60 upvotes
Ripley
What else do you do? What are your hobbies? What do you do outside of work hours? Find a fulfilling life outside of work. You never know what doors will open.
Dec 30, 1969
113 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
fido1984 wrote:
Jun 20th, 2016 10:48 pm
OP be careful or you'll end up like this guy ;)
Already millenials are being called lazy and unreliable. An attitude like this does not help dispel that myth my friend
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2008
1969 posts
194 upvotes
Montreal
Go find another job. I used to work in a place full of people at my parent's age, and they pissed me off. I switch to a new job and the office is full of young chicks and nice people.

A good environment will help reducing stress and burnouts
Twitter: Twitter Name: Prince_of_Chips
PSN Trophies: PSN
Instagram: prince_of_chips
Jan 28, 2007
839 posts
58 upvotes
I feel that same except I mostly work by myself (barely any interaction with others, no "gossip" time) with my hands (build electro mechanical stuff) in a hot warehouse. It's soul sucking, boring, painful etc etc etc.

Felt the same while painting houses in one summer.

Want to switch?

Ok, on a more serious note: what exactly do you do? What kind of business degree? Why not try applying to other places? Where do you work? Sounds like one of those typical cliche places one should avoid.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2007
1728 posts
52 upvotes
Mississauga
baijuxp wrote:
Jun 20th, 2016 10:55 pm
Already millenials are being called lazy and unreliable. An attitude like this does not help dispel that myth my friend
And working at a job that you absolutely hate isn't exactly motivating. Better he find something he enjoys when he's young and has little to no responsibility. When he's older and priorities change, then he can suck it up and stay at a job that is less than ideal. And every older generation complains about the newer generation, try not to get caught up in it (i'm guilty of it too).
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2008
3932 posts
419 upvotes
Welcome to the real world.

Look for something else but don't quit until you find something. I'll also say that most jobs are boring and an excercise in tolerance. It's a grind. Those who love what they do are few and far between.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2005
3802 posts
1072 upvotes
High River, AB
WyantB wrote:

Sounds like somebody's got a case of the Mondays!
× < >