Computers & Electronics

I have a 416 number, is Newmarket local for this area code?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 5th, 2012 11:35 am
Jan 28, 2012
72 posts
2 upvotes
GUELPH

I have a 416 number, is Newmarket local for this area code?

So lets say I move to Newmarket, will TELUS charge me long distance to call a 416 in Toronto/rest of gta or to receive phone calls? What is your experience with other carriers. Thanks,
2 replies
Deal Guru
Sep 6, 2002
11548 posts
5376 upvotes
Moving target
If I am not mistaken, if you take your 416 number to the long distance area of 905. The only call you can make that will use your local minutes is calling to a 905 number thats consider local for New Market or any other local area code (you'd have to look into this). There are also non long distance 905 area codes, like Pickering and Mississauga. However I am certain New Market falls into the long distance category.

If you answer your phone or call 416, you will be billed as a domestic long distance call.

You could "fool" the system by just not answering 905 calls, and calling people back. This is how a lot of people make free calls on Telus while travelling in Canada. ie, when your in Toronto all your montreal friends call you, but you don't answer and call them back. Nobody pays long distance.

LOL I tell Americans about this and there always like "you don't have coast to coast minutes", lol you can be 30 mintues outside of Toronto and be racking up long distance.
Autocorrect sucks
Sep 25, 2011
5 posts
NORTH YORK
Here is information from the Telus website on understanding local and long distance calls:

http://www.telusmobility.com/en/ON/Bill ... eVar6=link

I believe Toronto is not long distance from Newmarket, but I highly recommend you double check this with Telus.
Other parts of the GTA will not necessarily be local though. Like calling Pickering from Toronto is local, but I doubt it is from Newmarket.