• Last Updated:
  • Dec 11th, 2018 5:16 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Nov 15, 2017
515 posts
333 upvotes

I have not bought a camera in 10 years

The last digital camera I bought was a waterproof Sony point-n-shoot. It's like a 12 year old model, and image quality is more or less on par with modern cell phones.

I am interested in getting a better camera for taking travel pictures (day & night). Criteria:

- $500 budget
- Not too bulky
- Durable
- Good battery life

I am not a professional photographer.

Salesperson at Best Buy recommended a Sony a5100. In terms of size, that would be the biggest I would like.

I read that Sony RX100 is also a good budget camera.

Any other suggestions?
50 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
12216 posts
2806 upvotes
Toronto
The Sony cameras are a good choice EXCEPT that they all have terrible battery life. Just get two extra Wasabi batteries on Amazon.ca for around 40 bucks and you're good to go.

It's more like $600 but I would recommend the Sony A6000.
[OP]
Nov 15, 2017
515 posts
333 upvotes
Kurtz7834 wrote:
Nov 20th, 2018 1:56 pm
The Sony cameras are a good choice EXCEPT that they all have terrible battery life. Just get two extra Wasabi batteries on Amazon.ca for around 40 bucks and you're good to go.

It's more like $600 but I would recommend the Sony A6000.
Is A6000 that much better than A5100?

Again, I'm not a professional photographer. I'll still be doing just point-n-shoot Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Last edited by BBZero on Nov 20th, 2018 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 18, 2018
26 posts
4 upvotes
Budget cameras are still great for point and shoot. I was browsing and saw an article about budget digital cameras and found two good models. Nikon COOLPIX L840 is a bit like DSLR but it's not as complicated. It can be a bit bulky for your too. Samsung WB1100f is an okay one too and these are both affordable. I wonder how they're listed as budget coz I looked on Amazon and the Samsung one is still at $995.21.

For your question, A5100 is smaller so it's an advantage for convenience. But specs wise, A6000 offer more like:

1440k dot Electronic viewfinder
11 fps continuous shooting

If you're considering to buy soon, Black Friday deals could give you better cameras for your budget.
[OP]
Nov 15, 2017
515 posts
333 upvotes
TagZoom123 wrote:
Nov 20th, 2018 3:18 pm
Budget cameras are still great for point and shoot. I was browsing and saw an article about budget digital cameras and found two good models. Nikon COOLPIX L840 is a bit like DSLR but it's not as complicated. It can be a bit bulky for your too. Samsung WB1100f is an okay one too and these are both affordable. I wonder how they're listed as budget coz I looked on Amazon and the Samsung one is still at $995.21.

For your question, A5100 is smaller so it's an advantage for convenience. But specs wise, A6000 offer more like:

If you're considering to buy soon, Black Friday deals could give you better cameras for your budget.
I think A5100 would suit better for my needs. It's easier to carry, and I don't do any video recording.

Any comparable cameras from other brands like Nikon, Cannon, of Fuji, etc.?
Oct 18, 2018
26 posts
4 upvotes
BBZero wrote:
Nov 20th, 2018 3:51 pm
I think A5100 would suit better for my needs. It's easier to carry, and I don't do any video recording.

Any comparable cameras from other brands like Nikon, Cannon, of Fuji, etc.?
I see. A5100 is good, but often compared to Canon eos m100 and Nikon D3400. Between the canon and nikon, I'd choose Canon eos m100. Cheaper than A5100 but specs are almost the same. And it's a more recent model.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2010
1021 posts
312 upvotes
TagZoom123 wrote:
Nov 20th, 2018 3:18 pm

Samsung quitted camera business for a couple of years now, in 2014 or 2015 iirc. What you saw on Amazon is probably from a 3rd seller who doesn't know the real price. A refurb from ebay sells for less than $300 shipped, but don't buy that camera. There will be no support at all and the resell value will be extremely low.

To OP, if you like the size of the A5100, it's pretty much the smallest camera other than Micro Four Third you can get, with interchangeable lenses.
I'll suggest you to check the Olympus OMD EM10, whatever MK you can afford. They all have similar image quality. Their lenses are also a lot more affordable. I mean, if you need a fast lens, the cost will be similar for all brands, but for small, a tad slower lenses, MFT is the cheapest.
Aug 20, 2018
49 posts
33 upvotes
BBZero wrote:
Nov 20th, 2018 1:20 pm
The last digital camera I bought was a waterproof Sony point-n-shoot. It's like a 12 year old model, and image quality is more or less on par with modern cell phones.

I am interested in getting a better camera for taking travel pictures (day & night). Criteria:

- $500 budget
- Not too bulky
- Durable
- Good battery life

I am not a professional photographer.

Salesperson at Best Buy recommended a Sony a5100. In terms of size, that would be the biggest I would like.

I read that Sony RX100 is also a good budget camera.

Any other suggestions?
Another vote for the Canon EOS M100. It doesn't have a grip, so it has a more sleek and futuristic design. For my purposes, it can do what the Canon EOS M6 can do, but the price difference was $300. You can use the $300 that you save by getting the M100 instead of the M6 and buy a pancake lens, EF-M 22mm f/2.0. This is a very good combination that a lot of people are happy with for travel. They consider this a pocketable format, though it would stretch your pockets out and may not fit in that way. For travel and battery life, a second battery is recommended with any mirrorless camera because it doesn't have an optical viewfinder. The salesman at Best Buy also told me to get the Sony A5100 or A6000, but I like Canon better. If you get a nice lens like the 22mm f/2.0, the camera works like a dream. (f/2.0 or f/1.4 are needed for low light situations)

If you want a bokeh monster, get the M100 + 32mm f/1.4 EF-M. That is the combination that I have. You can use the kit lens, but once you get the pancake lens or the bokeh monster lens, you won't ever go back to the kit lens.

Here's a gallery for the 32mm (bokeh monster):
https://www.flickr.com/groups/3962735@N23/

This gallery showcases the 22mm (pancake):
https://www.flickr.com/groups/efm22f2/

A lot of Canon mirrorless users report that once they get a 22 or a 32, it stays on their camera 90% of the time. They like those lenses that much, and they are versatile being useful in many photographic situations.

Lastly, the M100 goes for $469.99 as a sale price. It is on sale for $429.99 at Best Buy, but sale ends in two days. It was on sale at Shopper's Drug Mart for $399.99, but that flash sale has ended.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
15958 posts
2182 upvotes
Toronto
An Olympus TG-5 would be a good replacement. There are no interchangeable lenses, but it's durable, waterproof, has good image quality, built-in GPS tagging, and all the modern features like available wireless control through apps. It's also right around your price range and not too big. It would be considered a durable point-and-shoot and not a match for the other cameras suggested here when it comes to manual controls and the like, though.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Aug 20, 2018
49 posts
33 upvotes
Update:

Best Buy seems to be selling out of the M100's. Online, it says stock is now limited. Best Buy also raised the price. The original terms were $429.99 until November 22. Maybe because they are selling out faster than expected, Best Buy raised the price to $449.99 until November 21. They are still cheaper than Henry's, but Wal-Mart has them for $428.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2011
2373 posts
930 upvotes
GTA
AlphaStar wrote:
Nov 20th, 2018 6:05 pm
Update:

Best Buy seems to be selling out of the M100's. Online, it says stock is now limited. Best Buy also raised the price. The original terms were $429.99 until November 22. Maybe because they are selling out faster than expected, Best Buy raised the price to $449.99 until November 21. They are still cheaper than Henry's, but Wal-Mart has them for $428.
Don't forget Henry's will price match. Here is a quote from their website:

"If you find a better price in the market give us a chance to see what we can do to make you happy. If you find a lower advertised price on an item from an authorized Canadian retailer at time of purchase we will beat the advertised price by 10% of the difference
Have a Question? Don't be afraid to ask.
Aug 20, 2018
49 posts
33 upvotes
bvit6667 wrote:
Nov 20th, 2018 6:47 pm
Don't forget Henry's will price match. Here is a quote from their website:

"If you find a better price in the market give us a chance to see what we can do to make you happy. If you find a lower advertised price on an item from an authorized Canadian retailer at time of purchase we will beat the advertised price by 10% of the difference
Cool, that is good to know.
Jul 12, 2010
428 posts
66 upvotes
For such a super tight budget... Alot of decent recommendations already put out there...

Kind of surprised no one just saying Stick to your phone... I know this sub is all camera heads hehe... but in my opinion if your budget is so small at 500 and you have such a size constraint ... Just spend that budget on getting one of the better phones pixel 3 ... iphone 8 and up or s9 and up like any flagship phone I think will do you just fine and its the MOST portable. I Do think a sony rx100 mark5 + 4 batteries is the package for you .. but thats like $1250 ish ... -- Like at $500 bucks you dont seem interested in growing a lenses collection... and getting stuff like a5100 is really old and kit lens is super limiting ... Sure its better IQ in Lowlight but barely... atleast cell phone has great 4k video and probably IS

Maybe buy a portable 50 dollar LED light to help shine light to your subjects in low LIGHT LOL--- Idk just putting in another idea in your head
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4030 posts
474 upvotes
how many threads do we need asking for a new camera ~350 USD? expect major compromises.

a5100 does decent job for an older camera, but factoring a decent lens and tossing the kit lens into the garbage will kill your budget

to which just get a Pixel 3 on the BF promo
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
12216 posts
2806 upvotes
Toronto
AlphaStar wrote:
Nov 20th, 2018 5:27 pm

If you want a bokeh monster, get the M100 + 32mm f/1.4 EF-M. That is the combination that I have. You can use the kit lens, but once you get the pancake lens or the bokeh monster lens, you won't ever go back to the kit lens.
The 32mm f1.4 is $600... for the lens alone. The guy stated that his budget was $500..