• Last Updated:
  • Dec 11th, 2018 5:16 pm
Tags:
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
12209 posts
2805 upvotes
Toronto
To the OP, for 500 bucks you are better off hitting the used market on Kijiji, way better deals there, especially this time of year. Learn to test and buy used gear and save yourself a ton of money.

You should be able to get a good condition Olympus E-M5 of E-M10 body and a Panasonic 25mm f1.7 lens for under 450 cash. I use that combo all the time with great results. The Olympus 40-150 telephoto lens is $120 on Amazon.ca, great lens for the moeny

The Sigma 19mm f2.8 and 30mm f2.8 lenses are great budget choices as well.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
2708 posts
1381 upvotes
Canadia
andy28 wrote:
Nov 21st, 2018 12:53 am
Kind of surprised no one just saying Stick to your phone... I know this sub is all camera heads hehe... but in my opinion if your budget is so small at 500 and you have such a size constraint ...
Phones don't have optical zoom. That's not an issue when taking snapshots and selfies, but it's a deal breaker when traveling (you can't just take 100 steps forward into thin air when photographing a waterfall, for example). $500 is enough to get a decent mirrorless or point and shoot, as long as you're not hung up on getting the lastest model.
[OP]
Nov 15, 2017
511 posts
331 upvotes
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'll keep an eye out for Canon EOS M100 deals.

Any compact cameras (i.e. not mirrorless) worth considering?
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
12209 posts
2805 upvotes
Toronto
BBZero wrote:
Nov 21st, 2018 12:30 pm
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'll keep an eye out for Canon EOS M100 deals.

All compact cameras are mirrorless. The 'mirror' refers to the mirror box that flaps up and down in traditional DSLRs.
Last edited by Kurtz7834 on Nov 21st, 2018 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
12209 posts
2805 upvotes
Toronto
It's worth pointing out that m100 doesn't have a flash hotshoe. Any interchangable lens camera without a flash hotshoe is stuck in newbie land. This rules it out for most serious photography, or quality video. I would suggest stretching your budget to around $600 and getting the Sony A6000 and 16-50 kit lens. Very good camera that you can grow with. Flash hotshoe, viewfinder, super fast FPS, great image sensor.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2010
1016 posts
311 upvotes
BBZero wrote:
Nov 21st, 2018 12:30 pm

You can check the premium compact category of cameras. It's fixed lens camera with sensor at 1 inch or bigger. I'll list a few models so you can check and I'll let you do the research for the price since I don't know them all on the used market, so some might be above your budget:

-Sony RX100, there's MK I to VI (You can probable get the MK 1 or 2 with your budget)
-Panasonic LX10 or Panasonic LX100 (2 totally different cameras)
-Canon GX7
-Fujifilm X100 (the X100S is still very good)

There's also a lot more compact with 1 inch sensor but with slower lens and at a cheaper price.
Nov 4, 2016
660 posts
375 upvotes
AlphaStar wrote:
Nov 20th, 2018 6:05 pm
Update:

Best Buy seems to be selling out of the M100's. Online, it says stock is now limited. Best Buy also raised the price. The original terms were $429.99 until November 22. Maybe because they are selling out faster than expected, Best Buy raised the price to $449.99 until November 21. They are still cheaper than Henry's, but Wal-Mart has them for $428.
You can still get it at Memory Express for $430.

I have a Canon M1 with the 22mm pancake lens. Very happy with it. If you get the M100 with it, it will be even better.
Best shopping deals I got from here:
Asus Zenfone 3 Zoom $300, ZTE Blade V8 Pro $175, Fluld 55' 4k TV $360
Nov 4, 2016
660 posts
375 upvotes
andy28 wrote:
Nov 21st, 2018 12:53 am
For such a super tight budget... Alot of decent recommendations already put out there...

Kind of surprised no one just saying Stick to your phone... I know this sub is all camera heads hehe... but in my opinion if your budget is so small at 500 and you have such a size constraint ... Just spend that budget on getting one of the better phones pixel 3 ... iphone 8 and up or s9 and up like any flagship phone I think will do you just fine and its the MOST portable. I Do think a sony rx100 mark5 + 4 batteries is the package for you .. but thats like $1250 ish ... -- Like at $500 bucks you dont seem interested in growing a lenses collection... and getting stuff like a5100 is really old and kit lens is super limiting ... Sure its better IQ in Lowlight but barely... atleast cell phone has great 4k video and probably IS

Maybe buy a portable 50 dollar LED light to help shine light to your subjects in low LIGHT LOL--- Idk just putting in another idea in your head
All point and shoot cameras and cellphones suffers from a very small sensor size. In board daylight they will do ok. But in the evening, the noise just goes crazy if you increase the ISO past 400.

Even in the day, these cameras cannot capture as rich of the colours as a mirrorless or DSLR.
Best shopping deals I got from here:
Asus Zenfone 3 Zoom $300, ZTE Blade V8 Pro $175, Fluld 55' 4k TV $360
Aug 20, 2018
47 posts
33 upvotes
CCHIPSS wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2018 3:43 am
All point and shoot cameras and cellphones suffers from a very small sensor size. In board daylight they will do ok. But in the evening, the noise just goes crazy if you increase the ISO past 400.

Even in the day, these cameras cannot capture as rich of the colours as a mirrorless or DSLR.
I would definitely get a mirrorless or DSLR for the last point you mentioned. Canon is better for colour rendition than Sony. I don't have the pancake lens, but the 32mm 1.4 and it is excellent. The bokeh is beautiful. I am contemplating picking up a second Canon M100 and getting pancake lens on that.
Aug 20, 2018
47 posts
33 upvotes
Kurtz7834 wrote:
Nov 21st, 2018 10:15 am
The 32mm f1.4 is $600... for the lens alone. The guy stated that his budget was $500..
lol, photography will do that to you. I had previously only allowed myself as small a budget as possible down from $6,000. I said I would buy a camera only and keep with a light box, basically shell out $429 plus extra for a memory card (and no more). I ended up getting an M100 and the $600 lens. I am contemplating getting the $300 pancake lens and an additional M100 or an M50 or M5.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2010
1016 posts
311 upvotes
AlphaStar wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2018 6:31 pm
lol, photography will do that to you. I had previously only allowed myself as small a budget as possible down from $6,000. I said I would buy a camera only and keep with a light box, basically shell out $429 plus extra for a memory card (and no more). I ended up getting an M100 and the $600 lens. I am contemplating getting the $300 pancake lens and an additional M100 or an M50 or M5.
Why would you get another same camera? I hate changing lenses when I'm outdoor but I hate even more carrying twice the same camera. And if you plan on using your initial budget minus the $1000 on your current equipment, get a Leica Q instead. It's way better than those Canon APS-C mirrorless cameras. Leica's F1.7 Summilux will produce a better bokeh and contrast than your current gears. Or get an used Fujifilm GFX 50S, I have seen it at $5000 and Mitakon will release soon the 65mm F1.4 for it, which is like equivalent to a F0.8 (just a guess, didn't do the math exactly) on your Canon M100.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4029 posts
474 upvotes
never heard of people carrying two bodies unless event photog
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

[OP]
Nov 15, 2017
511 posts
331 upvotes
I went to a brick and mortar camera store to get a feel of all the cameras.

Sony RX100 is so expensive!

I was intrigued by the Olympus Tough TG-5. It seems like an indestructible camera that I could whip out and shoot anywhere, anytime. Price-to-performance (outside of underwater application) ratio is not very good, according to the salesman.

I ended up with a Canon EOS M100 (got it price-matched at $428). Now I'm intrigued by this whole pancake lens thing Face Screaming In Fear. Would something like that be the best solution to travel photography?
Aug 20, 2018
47 posts
33 upvotes
BBZero wrote:
Nov 25th, 2018 5:15 pm
I went to a brick and mortar camera store to get a feel of all the cameras.

Sony RX100 is so expensive!

I was intrigued by the Olympus Tough TG-5. It seems like an indestructible camera that I could whip out and shoot anywhere, anytime. Price-to-performance (outside of underwater application) ratio is not very good, according to the salesman.

I ended up with a Canon EOS M100 (got it price-matched at $428). Now I'm intrigued by this whole pancake lens thing Face Screaming In Fear. Would something like that be the best solution to travel photography?
Excellent choice. The pancake lens is really nice because it has a large aperture f/2.0 then apply the 1.6 factor, but still good. It makes the camera really small compared with the kit lens. It is great to travel with. Some people call the M100 + 22mm set up the "pocketable" set up, but I still think it is too bulky for a standard pocket. You may be able to get away with a jacket pocket.

The downside is that the 22mm has little to no bokeh. I went with the 32mm f1.4 to get the bokeh. Trust me, once you get bokeh, you will find it hard to ever go back. I found that most people can get away with the 32mm lens. If compactness is really important, I would go with the 22mm, but I liked the bokeh too much and went with the more expensive 32mm. An expensive option, but a good one is to go with both the 22mm and the 32mm, that way you can have a pocketable camera for family events, travel, what have you, and you can use 32mm for everything else, portraits, macro shots. One of the features of the M100 over the G7x or G9x is the ability to use interchangeable lenses.
[OP]
Nov 15, 2017
511 posts
331 upvotes
Thanks for the insight. I think I'll play with the original lens kit a bit more before going for further upgrades Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes

I'm assuming any EF-M lens would fit the M100 without additional accessories? How about other Canon lenses?