• Last Updated:
  • Dec 4th, 2018 1:54 pm
Tags:
Aug 20, 2018
47 posts
33 upvotes
BBZero wrote:
Nov 26th, 2018 9:08 am
Thanks for the insight. I think I'll play with the original lens kit a bit more before going for further upgrades Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes

I'm assuming any EF-M lens would fit the M100 without additional accessories? How about other Canon lenses?
The M-series Canon's are meant to be more compact overall compared to the standard EOS variants due to not having a mirror or pentaprism/pentamirror. The M lens (EF-M mount) are designed to be compact as well, so for the M100, M10, M, M6, M50, etc... Canon designed EF-M lens for it that would have a dark grey colour. Any EF-M lens would work with the M100, EF-M 22mm, EF-M 32mm, EF-M 10-22mm, etc...

If you wanted to use the EF 50mm f1.8 lens or any EF-S (Canon Rebel) lens, you would need one adapter, the EF/EF-S to EF-M adapter which is $200. If you go that route, you could get away with a Canon EF-M 22mm and adapter and EF 50mm f1.8 lens which works out to be cheaper than the EF-M 32mm lens alone. The only ones would be the EF-R or R lens which is only a handful that only work with the EOS R. If you wanted an EOS R lens, you could find an equivalent in the standard EF series.

A lot of people will tout the Canon M100 as an entry-level camera, but I consider it a prosumer and even low-budget professional camera. Get a nice lens, and good lighting and you can take stunning photos.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
23705 posts
10132 upvotes
Ottawa
Hoping to piggyback on this thread, as I am currently looking for a camera or video recorder for low light atmosphere.
Now that my kid is in school, there are plenty of concerts and my wife is nagging me to capture each event and my phone is obviously not good enough.
Nov 4, 2016
660 posts
373 upvotes
BBZero wrote:
Nov 25th, 2018 5:15 pm
I went to a brick and mortar camera store to get a feel of all the cameras.

Sony RX100 is so expensive!

I was intrigued by the Olympus Tough TG-5. It seems like an indestructible camera that I could whip out and shoot anywhere, anytime. Price-to-performance (outside of underwater application) ratio is not very good, according to the salesman.

I ended up with a Canon EOS M100 (got it price-matched at $428). Now I'm intrigued by this whole pancake lens thing Face Screaming In Fear. Would something like that be the best solution to travel photography?
My M with the 22mm pancake is doing great. It can do Bokah no problem IMO. The lens is like 1/2 or even 1/3 the length of other lens.

You can get the 22mm pancake lens used for pretty cheap. Kerrasdale Cameras has one for $170.

https://kerrisdalecameras.com/shop/Cano ... on=1852784

Btw Memory Express has the M100 with IS kit for $400. Maybe buy that one and refund yours?

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX68410
Best shopping deals I got from here:
Asus Zenfone 3 Zoom $300, ZTE Blade V8 Pro $175, Fluld 55' 4k TV $360
Aug 20, 2018
47 posts
33 upvotes
vkizzle wrote:
Nov 26th, 2018 11:31 am
Hoping to piggyback on this thread, as I am currently looking for a camera or video recorder for low light atmosphere.
Now that my kid is in school, there are plenty of concerts and my wife is nagging me to capture each event and my phone is obviously not good enough.
The Canon M100 would probably do a good job of this. However, you need the pancake lens or security might stop you. Some concert venues have security guards that won't allow you to bring in a "nice" camera. So, if you had a Canon Rebel T7i with zoom lens, you may not be able to get in. If you have a Canon M100 with pancake lens, it has the form factor of a typical point-and-shoot camera and you should be able to get past security easily. The pancake lens has an aperture of f2, so it is good for low light. The downside is that it doesn't have 4k, although the 1080p has been great and it does 60fps. You can get the M100 now, so that you don't miss any photos and videos from this day forward. Then you can wait until 4k becomes cheaper (and better than 24fps), then get the next Canon mirrorless in a couple of years. You can then use the M100 as a backup or spare camera or a pocket cam or winter cam.

If you are really concerned about low light, you might need the 32mm f1.4, but it is more expensive and bulkier. I have that set up and I would not change it for my purposes.
[OP]
Nov 15, 2017
510 posts
328 upvotes
Welp, the more I read about lenses, the more interesting they sound. I also realize this is a deeeeeeeep rabbit hole.

How big of a jump is a prime lens (EF-m 22mm) vs. the kit lens that came with the M100 in terms of "image quality"?
Aug 20, 2018
47 posts
33 upvotes
BBZero wrote:
Nov 26th, 2018 3:07 pm
Welp, the more I read about lenses, the more interesting they sound. I also realize this is a deeeeeeeep rabbit hole.

How big of a jump is a prime lens (EF-m 22mm) vs. the kit lens that came with the M100 in terms of "image quality"?
I didn't do a lot of extensive testing between my EF-M prime lens 32mm against the kit lens (I don't own the 22mm). It is in some cases about the same in good lighting. However, the 32mm (and 22mm) will destroy the kit lens in low lighting. You also get a much shallower depth of field with the 22mm versus the kit lens (background blur, and much more intense blur in the 32mm). If I owned just the 22mm and kit lens, I would leave the 22mm on my camera 100% of the time, I would never go back to the kit lens. One little annoying quirk about the kit lens is that you have to push the lens unlock/open button, then twist the lens to the "on" mode. You don't need to do this with the EF-M 22 or EF-M 32. The 22mm could possibly be a wee bit sharper and autofocus a wee bit faster than the kit lens.

If you bought just the 22mm, and kept that, you can pretty much cover the entire gamut, landscape, macro, portrait, family shots, street photography, architecture, pet photography. The only thing you may not be able to do very well is F1 racing and bird watching, although, you can still get some decent shots and zoom in (crop) because you are at 24 MP. Me, personally, I am extremely happy with the 32mm lens. I do not regret buying it. If I only bought the 22mm lens, I would not regret buying it. YMMV.
Nov 4, 2016
660 posts
373 upvotes
BBZero wrote:
Nov 26th, 2018 3:07 pm

People spent a lot of money on lens with high aparture. Many of these guys are professional hard core photographers. So it does make a difference.

It makes a huge difference in low light. The aparture is displayed as a fraction. So F/2 allows more light in than F/3.5. It also allows for a shallower depth of field, which is great for Bokah.

Some may say "but F/2 is only like twice as bright as F/3.5. That isn't much difference." Actually the difference is huge. 100% brighter is 100% brighter (roughly). It could mean the difference between you having to use ISO 1600 and ISO3200 in a night shot. And the noise level difference is very noticible.

The only advantage of the lens kit is its zoom. At 45mm it can zoom twice as much as the 22mm prime lens' FOV. However because it has such a low aparture (F6.3 at the max 45mm zoom), it literally make little difference. You can just take a picture with the 22mm F/2 and chop it to fit, to get the same picture as the 45mm. Now of course it won't be quite as good exactly. But it is true that if you have the 22mm F2, there is little reason to use that F3.5 15-45mm zoom lens.

So the 22mm F2 lens is small and cover everything in close range. Great for landscape, protraits and night time. The only thing missing is of course the zoom. You will need zoom for bird watching and football games. But unless you plan to take those photos you don't need to worry.

You can sell that F3.5 15-45mm. It is still worth some money. So you don't have to pay the full price for the 22mm F2.

But what you said it true. This hobby of photography can be a bottomless pit. There is always the next better camera body with even better lens. And they cost a ton of money. You have to know what you need and just have fun with what you have.
[OP]
Nov 15, 2017
510 posts
328 upvotes
RIP my wallet.
I think I would have my bases covered. EF-M 22mm for typical shots. The kit lens has its uses for certain scenarios involving zoom :)
Aug 20, 2018
47 posts
33 upvotes
BBZero wrote:
Nov 26th, 2018 7:17 pm
RIP my wallet.
I think I would have my bases covered. EF-M 22mm for typical shots. The kit lens has its uses for certain scenarios involving zoom :)
Just to give you an idea of how cool your Canon M100 really is, here is an example.

You can slap on the 22mm lens and take a picture of an F1 race. You use max resolution, 24 MP. If you did a magnification of the image 3x, that would be the equivalent of a 66mm lens running at 6 MP. 6MP is plenty already for 99.99% of the population. 6 MP is overkill for a 1080p 24" monitor. 24 MP combined with the 22mm gives you a lot of flexibility as long as you are not using your images to print billboards or enlarged wall posters or to sell to the National Geographic.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2010
1016 posts
310 upvotes
@BBZero,

Congrats on your new purchase & have fun shooting. I have an advice for you and it is to experience photography yourself by doing your own tests and researches, starting with your kit lens.

Oh and remember one more thing, there is a reason all kind of lenses exist and if they keep making and selling them, someone is buying because there is a need. 1 prime lens can do a lot of things, but there's a lot it cannot do as well. You should check lenses distortion & compression, as well as depth of field factors and you'll see why there's a need for every kind of focal length.
Aug 20, 2018
47 posts
33 upvotes
BBZero, looking back over your initial requirements, you may exceed the $500 budget since you wanted something not too bulky and good for travel (day & night).

The 22mm lens would be good for "not too bulky" and "travel day and night" (because of the f2 aperture). It is about the size of a hockey puck, so if you have one on hand you can try placing it on the camera with the dust cover to get a sense of the smaller form factor.

My suggestion would be to try to get a hold of the 22mm lens somehow, either borrow from a friend or you can head over to Henry's with your camera and try it out in person to get a feel for the form factor gathering more information on whether the compactness and excellent low light quality are worth it to you to exceed your budget by $300. If not that, then an SD card and walk around the Henry's store taking pictures with the 22mm lens then take the card home and compare the images. You might need to bring your own kit lens if you want to do a side-by-side comparison, although the Henry's store should have them on location for demos.
[OP]
Nov 15, 2017
510 posts
328 upvotes
AlphaStar wrote:
Nov 27th, 2018 12:43 pm
BBZero, looking back over your initial requirements, you may exceed the $500 budget since you wanted something not too bulky and good for travel (day & night).

The 22mm lens would be good for "not too bulky" and "travel day and night" (because of the f2 aperture). It is about the size of a hockey puck, so if you have one on hand you can try placing it on the camera with the dust cover to get a sense of the smaller form factor.

My suggestion would be to try to get a hold of the 22mm lens somehow, either borrow from a friend or you can head over to Henry's with your camera and try it out in person to get a feel for the form factor gathering more information on whether the compactness and excellent low light quality are worth it to you to exceed your budget by $300. If not that, then an SD card and walk around the Henry's store taking pictures with the 22mm lens then take the card home and compare the images. You might need to bring your own kit lens if you want to do a side-by-side comparison, although the Henry's store should have them on location for demos.
I actually ordered a new Canon 22mm lens online for $129 USD. Worthy investment I think. I could always return or sell it if it doesn't work out :)
In the end I went over-budget by $100 Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3464 posts
772 upvotes
Toronto
BBZero wrote:
Nov 26th, 2018 7:17 pm
RIP my wallet.
LOL welcome to the wacky world of Photography. I'll introduce a term you might not have heard before: GAS = Gear Acquisition Syndrome. Don't let it take over your life. There may be times when you are in a photo slump, and you may think the best way to get out of it is to buy new gear. Don't fall for this, and try to challenge yourself instead with the gear you have.

(Unless you really do need that nice Macro lens or telephoto zoom or fisheye or wideangle or bokeh monster or super sharp prime or.....)

Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
Games: XBox Live: M1GO

Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Nov 4, 2016
660 posts
373 upvotes
Some tips. When you are learning, use aperture priority and auto ISO. Set explosure composition to 1/3 below middle. Your aperture should be somewhere between the highest (F2) or F8.

Half press the shutter and see what is your shutter speed. Be sure to keep it above 50 when you are handholding, although ideally you want it above 60.

If the shutter speed falls below 50, manually increase your ISO until the shutter speed reaches 50 or above. Don't worry about high ISOs like 3200 or above for now.
[OP]
Nov 15, 2017
510 posts
328 upvotes
Welp, the vendor lied about their stock, so I'm not getting a deal on the 22mm f/2 lens. :facepalm:

Playing with the kit lens for the time being.