• Last Updated:
  • Dec 11th, 2018 5:16 pm
Tags:
Nov 4, 2016
679 posts
385 upvotes
BBZero wrote:
Nov 30th, 2018 10:58 am
Welp, the vendor lied about their stock, so I'm not getting a deal on the 22mm f/2 lens. :facepalm:

Playing with the kit lens for the time being.
Ouch. That sucks. Which vendor was it?

Kerrisdale Camera still has that used 22mm F2, but now for $200 instead of $170. You can ask if they would give you that 15% off they had during Black Friday weekend. They might still honor it. Most camera store are not too keen in keeping used stuff.
Best shopping deals I got from here:
Asus Zenfone 3 Zoom $300, ZTE Blade V8 Pro $175, Fluld 55' 4k TV $360
[OP]
Nov 15, 2017
515 posts
333 upvotes
CCHIPSS wrote:
Nov 30th, 2018 12:07 pm
Ouch. That sucks. Which vendor was it?

Kerrisdale Camera still has that used 22mm F2, but now for $200 instead of $170. You can ask if they would give you that 15% off they had during Black Friday weekend. They might still honor it. Most camera store are not too keen in keeping used stuff.
Some grey market online store, which I will not name because they don't deserve the attention.

Kerrisdale Camera has 0 used lens in stock. Their online catalog isn't very up-to-date.

Oh well, there's always boxing day.
Nov 4, 2016
679 posts
385 upvotes
BBZero wrote:
Nov 30th, 2018 12:13 pm
Some grey market online store, which I will not name because they don't deserve the attention.

Kerrisdale Camera has 0 used lens in stock. Their online catalog isn't very up-to-date.

Oh well, there's always boxing day.
It is ok. The kit lens is still usable. It will do good in bright light.

If you are taking night time shots with it, don't be afraid to turn up the ISO. That was my rookie mistake for the longest time back then. I was afraid of noise so I keep the ISO low and set my shutter speed below 1/50. As a result many of my pictures were not sharp, due to hand moment. (As the shutter speed falls below 1/50, you must mount the camera onto something or lean against a wall. And you need to set a delay of 2 seconds so you don't shake the camera by pressing the shutter.) There are special hand holding methods that can make the camera more steady. But if you want to photograph kids running around in a night time house party (like I did), steady hands is not the only problem. Kids move so fast that a shutter speed below 1/50 will make them look very blurry. In fact you probably need like 1/125 if not 1/250.

After I learnt the above, I set the shutter speed above 1/50 while underexposing by selecting a low ISO. This is actually a big no-no. Because when I do post-processing in DarkTable (free), I still have to turn up the shadows anyways and all the noise comes out. My noise would actually be better if I had turn up the ISO higher in the first place. I find out later that ISO is actually not directly the cause of noise. Noise happens because not enough light is hitting the sensor through the lens. So if there are plenty of light, turning down the ISO does reduce noise and avoid overexposure. But when it is dark, there is no choice but to increase the ISO.

Never underexpose your picture (unless you meant to). Keep the shutter speed above 1/50. Use higher the ISO as needed. Learn to get the picture you want before worrying about noise. Else like me you might become a pixel peeper. XD
Best shopping deals I got from here:
Asus Zenfone 3 Zoom $300, ZTE Blade V8 Pro $175, Fluld 55' 4k TV $360
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
4826 posts
267 upvotes
Kurtz7834 wrote:
Nov 20th, 2018 1:56 pm
The Sony cameras are a good choice EXCEPT that they all have terrible battery life. Just get two extra Wasabi batteries on Amazon.ca for around 40 bucks and you're good to go.

It's more like $600 but I would recommend the Sony A6000.
They do not have terrible battery life. I shot a 4 hour event with 1 battery the other night on an a6000, it didn't even finish the battery. Almost 400 pictures.
Aug 20, 2018
49 posts
33 upvotes
OP, sucks that you were not able to get the 22mm from the vendor. Here's to hoping that you will run into some sweet deals after Christmas.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2003
2940 posts
1254 upvotes
Vancouver
I'm looking for a do-everything small camera as well. Leaning towards the Panasonic ZS100 as it at least has decent zoom compared to the older gen Canon Rx100s