Entertainment

I have a petition to save Canadian reality shows and game shows. Please sign it!

  • Last Updated:
  • May 22nd, 2013 3:34 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Newbie
Aug 4, 2010
52 posts
FourThree wrote:
May 1st, 2013 10:27 am
These idiotic shows just clog up the channels. They should get rid of all of them and start investing in quality shows like they used to.

These reality/game shows are cheap to produce and require minimal talent. It's the ultimate dumbing down of the medium that appeals to the lowest common denominator
I don't know if you read my last post, but if you don't like reality shows, then don't post here! I don't need this topic clogged with posts of people who disagree.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 19, 2001
28322 posts
823 upvotes
Maniaxe, get a blog. This is a forum.
[OP]
Newbie
Aug 4, 2010
52 posts
I have a blog and I know this is a forum. Since this is a forum, I decided to come here to share my idea with others. After all, that's what forums are for.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Feb 7, 2008
5673 posts
633 upvotes
Ottawa
Maniaxe wrote:
May 2nd, 2013 12:11 am
I have a blog and I know this is a forum. Since this is a forum, I decided to come here to share my idea with others. After all, that's what forums are for.
Forums also serve as a forum for open discussion.

You posted about Canadian reality shows and people are posting their opinions on them. Don't see anything wrong with how people are posting in this thread.
Jr. Member
User avatar
Jan 17, 2013
180 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
Maniaxe wrote:
May 2nd, 2013 12:11 am
I have a blog and I know this is a forum. Since this is a forum, I decided to come here to share my idea with others. After all, that's what forums are for.
You posted on an open forum about a topic and people are commenting on it. If you don't want open dialogue, keep it on your blog (which I am sure if fascinating and has a ton of traffic) and any negative comment you receive can be easily moderated out.

You came here to share your ideas and people are sharing their opinions with you

YEA!!! SHARING IS FUN!!!!
[OP]
Newbie
Aug 4, 2010
52 posts
LonesomeDove wrote:
Apr 29th, 2013 2:07 pm
Amazing Race Canada is coming this summer. You only get a $100,000 vs 1 million grand prize in the US.QUOTE]


Yesterday on eTalk Daily they said that the cash prize was $250,000. Same as the Aussie version.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 14, 2003
13365 posts
695 upvotes
Reality of TV is the scourge of television. It takes a very small budget to run and they make buttloads of cash from all the dullard putzes that watch them eating their cheesy puffs. It takes time and money away from scripted television which the cable channels have shown can be of much higher quality.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2012
2252 posts
219 upvotes
Toronto
Canadian version? Please, most things "Canadian version" is just the dumbed down ripped off version of the original thing. No. No more Canadian version.
[OP]
Newbie
Aug 4, 2010
52 posts
garyhudson wrote:
May 8th, 2013 6:11 pm
Canadian version? Please, most things "Canadian version" is just the dumbed down ripped off version of the original thing. No. No more Canadian version.
That is anything but true. It is in fact it's own international version just like how every other country has it's own version. Do your research.
Member
Apr 16, 2012
330 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto
Canadian reality shows are a disgrace. Let Americans produce them. They know how it's done.
[OP]
Newbie
Aug 4, 2010
52 posts
How is it a "disgrace" when every other first-world country has them?
Sr. Member
Oct 20, 2012
946 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto
Who exactly are you trying to petition? And what exactly could that accomplish?

Airing of TV shows is all based on money. Not enough viewers = show gets pulled. Companies aren't going to pay to have their advertisements shown to a non-existent audience.

If there was enough demand for these shows they would exist. The ones that do exist is because people do watch them. Fact is there isn't enough people in Canada who care enough to watch Canadian only versions (and sustain good enough ratings), and most are content with watching the American versions.

Signing some petition won't change anything. Money talks, if the viewership is there that's the only signal a network needs to start a show or keep it afloat.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Apr 16, 2001
14339 posts
1292 upvotes
Oshawa
I wouldn't urinate on this petition if it were on fire.

Actually, yes, I would. I'd light it on fire, then urinate on the ashes.
Blacklisted brands: Sony, Lenovo, Dell, Vizio
Member
Apr 16, 2012
330 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto
Maniaxe wrote:
May 8th, 2013 11:01 pm
How is it a "disgrace" when every other first-world country has them?
Because other countries do a better job than we do.
[OP]
Newbie
Aug 4, 2010
52 posts
MeasureTheory wrote:
May 9th, 2013 12:40 am
Because other countries do a better job than we do.
I disagree. We do as good as a job as other countries. Have you ever seen reality shows from Sweden, Australia, Ukraine, Italy, Brazil, etc.?
× < >

Top