Beauty & Wellness

I have sleeping problem, what kind of medicine should I buy?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 6th, 2017 5:42 pm
[OP]
Jan 4, 2013
317 posts
59 upvotes
TORONTO

I have sleeping problem, what kind of medicine should I buy?

I mean in shoppers drug mart
8 replies
Jul 26, 2016
107 posts
34 upvotes
My recommendation for sleeping problem is Melatonin, which is a natural non-habitual hormone that helps regulate sleep. You can start with small portion like 3 mg or 5 mg per pill. Many health brands has it and you can find it in Shoppers, Walmart basically all big stores that sells health supplements.

Please make sure you speak to your family doctor before taking any pill though, as your doctor is the one who knows your health history well and can provide best advice.
Jul 12, 2015
97 posts
12 upvotes
Brampton, ON
In addition to taking melatonin, do you end up using your electronic devices up to right before bed? TV, computer, phones or tablets? Your biological clock gets messed by these and your own melatonin production goes wonky.

I have a program called f.lux on my desktop that manages my monitor's tone to be gentler on the eyes at night.
Feb 10, 2010
740 posts
235 upvotes
Ajax, ON
OP go and see your doctor and ask for complete sleep study test, the results will help you underestand better your sleep problems from simple stress to severe sleeping apnea and your doctor will prescribed the right medication for you.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2007
1679 posts
75 upvotes
Mississauga
I've had good success with sleeping apps that essentially help you relax and meditate before bed.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13191 posts
666 upvotes
Don't treat the symptom. Treat the cause.

As a kids and early in my adult life I had trouble sleeping. Used various medications. Malatonin was could not be bought in Canada at the time. Sure the would work, but it didn't solve the problem of why I wasn't sleeping.

If it is an issue, talk to your doctor. Setting up better routines, figuring out if exercise or eating enhance or detract from your ability to sleep. Typically it is suggest not to use electronics up to 1 hour before bed...and even then don't use a blue based display. Stress too can be a big issue.

Consider the wakeup light from Philips. It also works a sleep light. It gradually progresses from warm yellow light and dims and changes colour until it goes out. Ours does this over 30 minutes. Also will wake you up the same way (but opposite). Far more rested and better sleep using it .
Nov 10, 2010
357 posts
129 upvotes
Hamilton
From my experience, most sleep clinics focus on sleep apnea....Some only sleep apnea. If that's not your problem, ensure you speak with your doc beforehand and try to get a referral to a better clinic.

Melatonin, and magnesium help me fall asleep, but not stay asleep. I would suggest you try both though.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4523 posts
246 upvotes
What's the cause of the problem? I'd start by exploring what's causing the issue and try and deal with the cause itself.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
3832 posts
482 upvotes
Toronto
Vitamin B12 can also help but seek out a naturopath first
BST meeting place:
Monday-Fri (9am-5pm): Queen Station or Eaton Centre
Monday-Thurs (after 5:30pm): Sheppard & Yonge
Saturday and Sunday: n/a