Personal Finance

I have a TD account in the US other than TD canada what is the best way to transfer money to it.

• Last Updated:
  • May 30th, 2019 10:59 am
[OP]
Feb 22, 2017
171 posts
73 upvotes

I have a TD account in the US other than TD canada what is the best way to transfer money to it.

Hello,
I have a TD Canada account as well as a TD Convenience Checking account with TDBANK.com (its the one they give you when you do the cross border banking thing) because i shop in the US a few times a month.

anyway for a multitude of reasons TD Canada is pissing me off and i also am just wasting money on its fee so i want to close the TD Canada while keeping the US TD Convenience Checking.
I setup a online profile with the US site so i can access it independently of Canada's easy web.
now the last piece of the puzzle is how can i load it with funds while avoiding fee's, anyone have any suggestions?

thanks
10 replies
May 16, 2017
713 posts
693 upvotes
You can always use a money transfer service (I personally use Transferwise, but there are many others discussed here and other methods). You simply need your TD (US) ACH details (routing, account #) and you can add it as a payee in Transferwise. Then add funds from pretty much any Canadian bank account and many credit unions to convert into USD and deposit into your TD account.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
4556 posts
1421 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
As above or cheque, money order, etc.

Do they allow cheque deposit by app?
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
11037 posts
7579 upvotes
Leask
georvu wrote:
May 27th, 2019 4:26 pm
As above or cheque, money order, etc.

Do they allow cheque deposit by app?
I would suspect so, but it may require the check to be issued with US routing credentials. In that case, bank draft in USD should work.
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
4556 posts
1421 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
titaniumtux wrote:
May 27th, 2019 10:14 pm
I would suspect so, but it may require the check to be issued with US routing credentials. In that case, bank draft in USD should work.
I've deposited USD cheques from CDN bank into USD account at USA bank without issues... but this was in person.

Agree, that money order or bank draft would work.
Deal Addict
May 11, 2014
3242 posts
2789 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Open a Scotiabank US Dollar Account, and have at all times minimum $200 US which will make it free. This will allow you to get commission-free drafts. Buy US Dollar via exchange services that are much cheaper such as Knightsbridge or VBCE and have the funds deposited into your Scotia US$ account. Then issue the US $ draft to yourself and deposit it using your TD Bank (US) App. Doing this takes a few steps but should result in fairly cheap way to transfer funds without occurring fees.

Tip: whenever getting a US Dollar cheque or draft issued from a Canadian institution, make sure it has US clearing on it. There should be a 9 digit IBAN number which identifies the bank that clears the cheque/draft. Most Canadian banks have a major US bank that will clear the funds for you. Ordering cheques on a US dollar account does not guarantee that these cheques will clear in the US without it going through collections (which usually means you can't use an app to deposit them). I used to have a US dollar account at my credit union that used to offer chequing with clearing in the US (they cleared via Bank of America). Unfortunately they discontinued the clearing service.
Support your local Credit Union!

Sask Pension Plan Upto $6200/yr in Credit Card spending on RRSP contributions
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/sask-pen ... ns-2167222
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
1129 posts
1011 upvotes
Vancouver
xgbsSS wrote:
May 28th, 2019 2:37 am
Open a Scotiabank US Dollar Account, and have at all times minimum $200 US which will make it free. This will allow you to get commission-free drafts. Buy US Dollar via exchange services that are much cheaper such as Knightsbridge or VBCE and have the funds deposited into your Scotia US$ account. Then issue the US $ draft to yourself and deposit it using your TD Bank (US) App. Doing this takes a few steps but should result in fairly cheap way to transfer funds without occurring fees.
That's a good suggestion, except maybe for the part about it being Scotiabank - the OP said he was pissed off at his bank, so going to Scotiabank is really jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

As others have mentioned, depositing a US$ cheque from a Canadian bank into a U.S. bank can result in long delays and high fees if the cheque is not properly coded for the U.S. banking system through a correspondent bank. I've seen one case where someone was charged a $300 fee to deposit an $800 cheque from a BMO US$ account at the U.S. federal employees credit union. It went through 3 intermediaries, all charging outrageous fees.

My company has accounts set up with a couple of foreign exchange firms to receive payments in other currencies, and they are linked to our U.S.-based bank account. As a courtesy they will do same-currency transfers back and forth for free between our US$ accounts in Canada and the U.S., but that's probably only because we do a lot of exchange business with them.
Deal Addict
May 11, 2014
3242 posts
2789 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Scote64 wrote:
May 28th, 2019 11:11 am
That's a good suggestion, except maybe for the part about it being Scotiabank - the OP said he was pissed off at his bank, so going to Scotiabank is really jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

As others have mentioned, depositing a US$ cheque from a Canadian bank into a U.S. bank can result in long delays and high fees if the cheque is not properly coded for the U.S. banking system through a correspondent bank. I've seen one case where someone was charged a $300 fee to deposit an $800 cheque from a BMO US$ account at the U.S. federal employees credit union. It went through 3 intermediaries, all charging outrageous fees.

My company has accounts set up with a couple of foreign exchange firms to receive payments in other currencies, and they are linked to our U.S.-based bank account. As a courtesy they will do same-currency transfers back and forth for free between our US$ accounts in Canada and the U.S., but that's probably only because we do a lot of exchange business with them.
$200 is easy to have a free account. Additionally the Scotiabank method is good because of the free drafts which do clear from a US bank so the delays shouldn't exist except for it to clear on the Canadian side.
Support your local Credit Union!

Sask Pension Plan Upto $6200/yr in Credit Card spending on RRSP contributions
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/sask-pen ... ns-2167222
Jan 15, 2017
602 posts
280 upvotes
HiddenEmailer wrote:
May 27th, 2019 9:22 am
Hello,
I have a TD Canada account as well as a TD Convenience Checking account with TDBANK.com (its the one they give you when you do the cross border banking thing) because i shop in the US a few times a month.
What's the advantage of using that account vs a CC?
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19036 posts
1494 upvotes
I would argue if you're not using TD Canada then there is little reason to use TD USA since thats the main benefit of them.

There are better and cheaper/easier FinTech-based options for USA banking nowadays, if you really need them.

What do you use your US account for is the question.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings