Home & Garden

I hit the reset button on my lawn... next steps?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 21st, 2018 1:22 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
3629 posts
1000 upvotes
Toronto

I hit the reset button on my lawn... next steps?

The weeds were getting ridiculously out of control ever since I bought my house and inherited this mess from the previous owner. No amount of 2-4-D herbicide and overseeding worked.

So, I had my entire lawn (2,000 sq ft) torn out, soil tilled and re-sodded with fresh Kentucky blue grass sod.

I just want to make sure that this sod takes and thrives.... but I have a couple of questions:

1) is it possible to water new sod too much? (so far, I have been watering for about 2 hours per day)
2) Is it better to water during the day (hot sun) or in the cooler evening? (my guess is evening, so that I'm not combating evaporation... but is rot a concern?)
3) I've been told to not cut the grass for 4 weeks, is this true?
4) Should I apply fertilizer now? When?
5) Should I aerate now? When?

Thanks for any/all insight
5 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
8300 posts
1314 upvotes
Toronto
Did they add a couple inches of compost before laying the sod.
This is a step most contractors neglect but can make a big difference.
Did they roll it after to make sure good soil contact?
This would have been a great opportunity to install a sprinkler system.
Generally lawns need only about an inch of water per week but since this is newly laid you'd want to water a bit more.
Key is to water deep so the roots grow deep down into the soil instead of frequently and for shorter periods.
Overwatering can lead to diseases and drowning of roots etc.
Watering just before the sunrise is ideal IMO vs evenings/night when lawn may remian waterlogged and prone to disease.
Aerate in fall maybe once the sod has taken to the soil properly and since the soil was tilled you can even put off aeration this year and wait till next year.
Fertilize every couple weeks and mow at highest level on your mower.
Aerate,Fertilize and overseed in fall.
Enjoy your new lawn.
Jan 23, 2017
64 posts
29 upvotes
GTA
I'm subscribing to this thread as I got new sod installed last week.

I was told by the installer to water 30 minutes in the morning and 30 minutes in the evening (when there is no sun hitting the lawn). Also, ensure the edges are watered as they tend to brown first. I've had to do the edges manually. Do this for 2 weeks. In terms of cutting, he said approx after 2 weeks, see if you can lift the grass (like lifting a corner of a carpet). If you can lift, don't mow. Keep testing thereafter until you can't lift the grass. This is when you can mow as the roots are deep enough. Once the grass is established, you can cut back on the watering. I was not advised to apply fertilizer now. Don't think it makes sense to aerate now as you just tilled the soil and put down fresh sod. My guess is fertilize in Fall before winter and aerate in Spring but I will check with my guy to see what he advises.

I've followed the watering schedule so far and the grass has been growing well and very green. The sod seams are fading away and looks more like a full lawn. Have a few brown areas around the edges, probably cuz I didn't water enough there.

Hope that helps.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
11812 posts
6109 upvotes
Toronto
Subscribed. I'm eventually going to be in the same boat OP.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jul 21, 2017
51 posts
18 upvotes
I did this Victoria day weekend last year. The key is the right amount of water. I watered for half an hour in the morning before going to work. I waited about two weeks before giving it its first cut. Canada day weekend I fertilized with Scotts new sod fertilizer. After that i watered it once a week for half an hour. I have a gorgeous lawn now.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
3629 posts
1000 upvotes
Toronto
gh05t wrote:
Jun 21st, 2018 11:38 am
Did they add a couple inches of compost before laying the sod. YES
This is a step most contractors neglect but can make a big difference.
Did they roll it after to make sure good soil contact? YES
This would have been a great opportunity to install a sprinkler system. Thought about it, but we're on the fence about installing an inground pool, so don't want to undo work down the road
Generally lawns need only about an inch of water per week but since this is newly laid you'd want to water a bit more.
Key is to water deep so the roots grow deep down into the soil instead of frequently and for shorter periods.
Overwatering can lead to diseases and drowning of roots etc.
Watering just before the sunrise is ideal IMO vs evenings/night when lawn may remian waterlogged and prone to disease. NOTED!
Aerate in fall maybe once the sod has taken to the soil properly and since the soil was tilled you can even put off aeration this year and wait till next year. NOTED!
Fertilize every couple weeks and mow at highest level on your mower. NOTED!
Aerate,Fertilize and overseed in fall. NOTED!
Enjoy your new lawn.
Thanks for the detailed reply!!! My contractor did a pretty good job with the prep and install. No complaints there... the ball is really in my court to make sure it takes well.

Before anyone asks, I paid $1/sq ft... all in cash (no tax)... so $2,000 for my front and back yards. $1/sq ft seems to be the going rate, if it includes tearing up old yard and disposing it.