Scammers and Warnings

I just have a question regarding an old sale (RESOLVED)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 22nd, 2009 11:18 pm
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2006
1109 posts

I just have a question regarding an old sale (RESOLVED)

I am going to explain a situation that was brought to me today however I am going to leave the guys username and the store out of it for now. If I typed it out it would be very long so I'm going to do this in point form.

-I sold a gift card to a RFD member around June 18th
-We met in the store at customer service and verified the balance
-Either that day or a few days later he used the entire balance up
-He says he brought the tools home that same day and was told by his wife that his brother/uncle already had them
-He returned EVERYTHING but didn't do it until 9 days later (June 27th), receipts)
-He was issued store credit when he returned them
-He PM'd me asking if I have another gift card, I said no not the high amount he desired
-He said let me know when you do (accumalate I presume)
-I eventually totaled to an amount he desired so PM'd him back
-He agreed to meet at noon
-He called me at noon when I'm already there waiting saying he is seeing insufficient funds and cannot make it
-I asked if he can go to his branch instead of the ATM he was at and be there within 30mins, he said yes (over $500)
-He called 15mins later stating that he had the funds and he'd be there in 15mins to wait
-I see him approach my vehicle and he obviously took a picture of my vehicle (plates)
-He gets in and doesn't have the money he just made me wait 35mins for him to get
-He accuses me of selling him fradulent gift card
-He tells me the above mentioned story (he used the gift cards fine, decided to return the stuff 9 days later, got store credit, used $130 off of the store credit they issued him now he says that the card doesn't work anymore but has no proof or receipt of a decline or anything :confused :)
-I asked him to kindly stop lying and tell me what he wants because I have lots of feedback and members that can vouch for me that I'm not into fraudulent
-He said sorry for lying where I was and that I was getting the money
-I told him since you lie and asked me to meet you here for a sale and wasted over an hour of my time I find it hard to believe you and I said I'd investigate the matter and get back to him
-I no longer have my paperwork for the gift cards I issued him because it was a month ago issue-free
-I asked him if he was trying to spend less than the amount buying from me, return the items and try to pocket the cash and he declined to answer
-I informed him that I didn't issue him store credit, I issued him gift cards that he already spent in FULL
-I took a picture of his plates too because he was VERY shady and he let me
-I asked him why he didn't call me or PM me and tell me about anything instead of lying to me and making me think he was buying something from me and wasting an hour and a half of my time!!!!!!!!!??? Again, no answer.

Now I just got off the phone with customer service from the store in question. I was told the balance or the history of the store credit can only be verified or looked into in-store only.

Once again I have no proof nor did he provide any that his store credit wasn't working anymore.

I also asked customer service that even if the gift card was obtained fraudulently and the customer made a purchase, returned the items and was issued store credit if that store credit card given would have any ties to the originating gift cards and they said NO. They said that the gentleman would have to give them the store credit card and they can see all the dates etc. of when it was used. For all I know this guy bold-face lying to me or someone in his residence used it up!!!

Now I need some input of what if any role I have in this.
I have nothing but positive, 100% feedback and have NEVER had an issue buying, selling or trading, EVER.

Any help is appreciated.

EDIT: THIS MATTER HAS BEEN CLEARED UP AND RESOLVED.
115 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2008
1263 posts
59 upvotes
Markham
Not that I'm taking sides here, from your point of view it seems you have done nothing wrong. after the buyer verified that the amount was on the card and used it you should have no obligation left. I would say ignore anything that they say to you and if they take legal action that's when it would get interesting to say the least.
Apr 24, 2005
222 posts
7 upvotes
GTA
Not your problem. If the buyer used up the balance of the card you sold upon him returning the items to the store he would of been issued a new/different card.
Dec 31, 1969
If it's true your gift card was not gained through fraudulent procedures then you have nothing to worry about there's nothing you can do and he's probably just trying to scam you. Assuming what you said is true of course.
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2006
1109 posts
Thanks for the input guys. I just needed some verification because I know I didn't screw this guy and I think he knows it too. I also needed customer service to clarify this as well which they did. I guess something like this is bound to happen to everybody but even if he tries to persue something he has no merit or basis as he is totally dishonest. He is the type of person that agrees to a total over the phone and through PM then when we met face to face he was intentionally short of the total money! It was $20 short but its the principle.
Jan 23, 2008
534 posts
That guy sounds shady, you SHOULD post his user name here so the rest of the community will be aware and avoid future dealings with this individual.
Jul 11, 2003
142 posts
44 upvotes
OK. Here's my story about this issue. I'm the buyer of his GC.

- Letsgetit sold me 3 gift cards @ $400 each. We met at Woodbridge HD and he allowed me to check out the balance at the cashier before I made the payment.

- I used the gift cards right away to buy some tools for my father and uncles.

- When I got home my wife told me to return them because she said they had them already. I went to the closest HD (Markham) and they refused to take them because of the inventory issues, I gotta to take back to the original store which is in Woodbridge and they said I have 90 days to return them.

- On June 27 (Saturday), I went to Woodbridge to return all the tools. I waited until weekend since I work downtown and don't get home until 7pm. I got a store credit with the value of the original gift cards ($1200). I used the store credit @HD Woodbridge that day to purchase few stuff ($130.69) and the receipt said that I still have the balance of $ 1,069.31 on my card.

- On June 28, I went to another HD close to my home in Markham to purchase few things and when I tried to use my store credit via self checkout and got an error. The cashier told me that there's $0 balance on my card and she threw it to the garbage. I told her that I'm supposed to have $1,069.31 remaining on the card and she pulled a history of the store credit. The system showed that a purchase I made a day earlier ($130.69) and just 2 minutes after the transaction, my store credit was flagged.

- She recommended me to contact the Store Manager of HD Woodbridge for further explaination.

- I went to HD Woodbridge the following day and managed to meet the person in charge (Ms. Tanya G.). I explained everything and she photocopied all the receipts I had and promised to call me after she made her investigation.

- That week, I got a call from HD Woodbridge and he (Peter?) told me that my store credit was flagged because of the original gift cards that I used earlier were purchased using a fraudulent credit card. There's nothing he can do especially since I purchased the cards from third party.

- I never purchased anything from BST forum and the reason I chose to buy from him (Letsgeit) because of the number of positive feedbacks he has. So, I pm'ed him and 'pretend' that I was gonna buy more cards from him. The reason was I didn't want to lose contact of him and just want to see him in person and I think that's the only way to do it, instead of emailing him about the issue and he can easily ignore me. It is my fault not to tell him the issue right away.

- Long story short, we met at Woodbridge. I took a picture of his license plate. I met him in his car and told him that the story above. I didn't accuse him a fraud! I just told him that HD flagged my store credit because the GC I bought from him were purchased using a fraudulent credit card, I just stated the fact!

- He started to accuse me that I'm trying to pocket the store credit which is ridiculous. The store credit is just store credit, it's not CASH and I never intend to get the cash from the GC I bought. The reason I bought GC for discounted price is the same as anybody in this forum, to get a better deal than paying full price if you buy it from the store.

- I even asked him to come to HD store to talk to the Store Manager but he refused.

- He promised me to investigate on his own. I also contacted the Customer Service, twice and got the same answer that the store credit I got links to the original gift cards and since they're bogus, my store credit is flagged. It's not about the actions I did (purchase tools, refund the tools and got the store credit, etc).

- I called Peter one more time and he ask me and the seller to come to his store. I PM'ed Letsgetit to meet him at HD Woodbridge and he kept calling me a name.

Sorry for long post, but I have to clarify the matter. I spent $1000 for the GC and if Letsgetit isn't guilty, he won't be afraid to go to HD store and meet me and the store manager there and explain everything. Anyway, I will scan all my receipts and post them on this thread.

I even told him since he got the cards from other party, that he may be scammed by his source.

Your thoughts? Reporting to the police is my last resort, I just want my money back (minus the purchase I made).

Edited to embed some scans of my receipts:

The first receipt where I used all the GC to purchase tools:
[IMG]http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/8341/receipt2.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/rece ... 1/w290.png[/IMG]

Second receipt showing the refund I got in store credit.
[IMG]http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/4489/receipt3.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/rece ... 1/w244.png[/IMG]

Last one, showing the balance remaining on my card just before the sytem flagged me for suspicious GC cards.
[IMG]http://img56.imageshack.us/img56/856/receipt1.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://img56.imageshack.us/img56/receip ... 1/w214.png[/IMG]

Letsgetit wrote: I am going to explain a situation that was brought to me today however I am going to leave the guys username and the store out of it for now. If I typed it out it would be very long so I'm going to do this in point form.

-I sold a gift card to a RFD member around June 18th
-We met in the store at customer service and verified the balance
-Either that day or a few days later he used the entire balance up
-He says he brought the tools home that same day and was told by his wife that his brother/uncle already had them
-He returned EVERYTHING but didn't do it until 9 days later (June 27th), receipts)
-He was issued store credit when he returned them
-He PM'd me asking if I have another gift card, I said no not the high amount he desired
-He said let me know when you do (accumalate I presume)
-I eventually totaled to an amount he desired so PM'd him back
-He agreed to meet at noon
-He called me at noon when I'm already there waiting saying he is seeing insufficient funds and cannot make it
-I asked if he can go to his branch instead of the ATM he was at and be there within 30mins, he said yes (over $500)
-He called 15mins later stating that he had the funds and he'd be there in 15mins to wait
-I see him approach my vehicle and he obviously took a picture of my vehicle (plates)
-He gets in and doesn't have the money he just made me wait 35mins for him to get
-He accuses me of selling him fradulent gift card
-He tells me the above mentioned story (he used the gift cards fine, decided to return the stuff 9 days later, got store credit, used $130 off of the store credit they issued him now he says that the card doesn't work anymore but has no proof or receipt of a decline or anything :confused :)
-I asked him to kindly stop lying and tell me what he wants because I have lots of feedback and members that can vouch for me that I'm not into fraudulent
-He said sorry for lying where I was and that I was getting the money
-I told him since you lie and asked me to meet you here for a sale and wasted over an hour of my time I find it hard to believe you and I said I'd investigate the matter and get back to him
-I no longer have my paperwork for the gift cards I issued him because it was a month ago issue-free
-I asked him if he was trying to spend less than the amount buying from me, return the items and try to pocket the cash and he declined to answer
-I informed him that I didn't issue him store credit, I issued him gift cards that he already spent in FULL
-I took a picture of his plates too because he was VERY shady and he let me
-I asked him why he didn't call me or PM me and tell me about anything instead of lying to me and making me think he was buying something from me and wasting an hour and a half of my time!!!!!!!!!??? Again, no answer.

Now I just got off the phone with customer service from the store in question. I was told the balance or the history of the store credit can only be verified or looked into in-store only.

Once again I have no proof nor did he provide any that his store credit wasn't working anymore.

I also asked customer service that even if the gift card was obtained fraudulently and the customer made a purchase, returned the items and was issued store credit if that store credit card given would have any ties to the originating gift cards and they said NO. They said that the gentleman would have to give them the store credit card and they can see all the dates etc. of when it was used. For all I know this guy bold-face lying to me or someone in his residence used it up!!!

Now I need some input of what if any role I have in this.
I have nothing but positive, 100% feedback and have NEVER had an issue buying, selling or trading, EVER.

Any help is appreciated.
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2006
1109 posts
Well for those of you who wanted to know his username it is clearly: "mickola"

Stay away from dealing with people with ZERO feedback is the lesson here.

This guy admitted to lying to me and pretending to purchase something.
No matter what anyone who has an issue with something they purchased would PM, email or call not lie to the person and set them up to meet somewhere and waste an hour and a half of their time talking about nonsense. I don't have time to meet with you considering what you did last time buddy.

This guy agreed to buy $1200 worth gift cards for $1020 (15% off when you do the math). This guy verified everything with me and pulled out $1000 and refused to give me the $20 he agreed upon (cheapskate). Then he maxes out the gift card plus $60.** dollars from his own credit card to buy stuff (hmmm). Then he waits 9 days and returns EVERYTHING. Uses the store credit he was issued and thinks I must address it even though I didn't sell him store credit. As far as your claim that the gift card was obtained through fraudulent purposes, I did my own investigation into that. I spoke with a store employee, a store manager and called their customer service line and spoke with three different individuals and they all stated that if you buy something with a gift card, return what you bought and are given store credit that that store credit does not have any link to the gift card. So basically if you had an issue with the gift card and you couldn't buy anything then I'd investigate the matter and issue you a full refund but you had NO issue with the gift card. You spent all the money on it, mickola.

Your story has so many holes. I have already informed the administrator about this. As far as the names I called you I called you a liar and accused you of trying to extort people.

Ryan has been aware of you for over a week.
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2006
1109 posts
Also notice that I have stated nothing but facts. You cannot contest anything I have stated in this thread as not the truth yet I find many statements in your post that is not the truth similar to the lies you told me over the phone, over PM and to my face!

You posted using $130 of your store credit, where is the voided transaction receipt that your store credit does not work? You said it was flagged because of the gift card but you bought it with store credit? You are drawing conclusions now. You are going to look mighty silly if you go to the store and they tell you that it was flagged for other reasons and you go on and use it without issue, aren't you?
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2006
1109 posts
"if Letsgetit isn't afraid"
"he kept calling me a name"
"I 'pretend' I was going to buy something"
"Long story short..."

You keep trying to bait people into doing what you want to do. Why didn't you have the full payment when we met? Why don't you tell the full story about how we agreed to meet at noon and you called me at noon saying lets meet in two days instead because your bank said insufficient funds then 15 minutes later you call back saying you have the money. Then 15 more mintues later (while I was waiting) you show up with no money. YOU ARE A LIAR and I don't believe you. I'm not going to waste any more of my time. I have been told by multiple people that I have nothing to do with this and just like the PM I sent you, its not about having anything to prove its about you potentially trying to pull a fast one and for whatever reason it is blowing up in your face and you said you didn't even tell your wife what you tried to do so don't come here and lie to the members as well buddy.
Jul 11, 2003
142 posts
44 upvotes
Tell me, is it hard for you to settle this dispute in more civilized way?
I just want you to come to the store, explain it to the store manager that told me that the GC were purchased using a fraudulent credit card. As simple as that. I won't call you liar or anything, but if you refuse to do so, I'll escalate this issue to the police.

When I posted WTB: Home Depot GC, I got PM from prestige45 and Letsgetit. It's funny that I chose to buy the HD GC from Letsgetit, rather than from prestige45, see this thread about prestige45
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=762742

I was supposed to be lucky, wasn't I? :(

It's interesting that we see so many posts about Home Depot scam lately.

Letsgetit wrote: "if Letsgetit isn't afraid"
"he kept calling me a name"
"I 'pretend' I was going to buy something"
"Long story short..."

You keep trying to bait people into doing what you want to do. Why didn't you have the full payment when we met? Why don't you tell the full story about how we agreed to meet at noon and you called me at noon saying lets meet in two days instead because your bank said insufficient funds then 15 minutes later you call back saying you have the money. Then 15 more mintues later (while I was waiting) you show up with no money. YOU ARE A LIAR and I don't believe you. I'm not going to waste any more of my time. I have been told by multiple people that I have nothing to do with this and just like the PM I sent you, its not about having anything to prove its about you potentially trying to pull a fast one and for whatever reason it is blowing up in your face and you said you didn't even tell your wife what you tried to do so don't come here and lie to the members as well buddy.
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2006
1109 posts
Dude. You are a liar. I met with you twice, once for a sale and once for a total of 2 hours of wasted time. I cannot take time out of my day to meet with liars. You PM'd me and said you required $1000 and I didn't have $1000.

Why is it that you're the only one out of about 4 gentlemen I've sold this gift card to that has a problem huh? Other people I meet with are very nice people and they are on time. You've been on RFD for 6 years and have zero positive feedback. I've been for roughly 3 years and have 15 positive. Three years of no complaints then comes you. I've done enough back and forth PMs with you no more back and forth here. Do what you have to do but I'm just telling you that if you do what you were supposed to do which is physically go to the store and bring up a history of your Store credit they can tell you all the dates etc and if they happen to clear that up for you, you are going to look mighty silly infront of other members and nobody will deal with you.
Jul 11, 2003
142 posts
44 upvotes
IF I spent the GC for the tools and didn't return them all, YES I'll give you a good feedback and my impression to you is gonna be good.

The issue happened after I returned the items after a week.
Can you elaborate if all your buyers spent the GC right away after they got them from you? Why are you so afraid to see the Store Manager of Home Depot and kept calling me LIAR? If you're not doing anything wrong, just come and discuss this matter in adult manner and don't just be an ONLINE THUG.

The second meeting we had, YES I lied to you. I just wanted to meet you in person. This is exactly what I'm afraid of. If I PM you about the issue, you can easily refuse to meet me. It just like what I'm having now. When I told you about the fraudulent cards and asked you to meet me & the SM, you REFUSE to come.

You asked about my ZERO feedback? Ask anyone in this forum if they have ever had any transactions with me! As I mentioned to you earlier, I NEVER make any transactions with anyone in this forum, you're the first one... and maybe the last one. :(
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2006
1109 posts
Look, I stated that I spoke with customer service, a store employee and a store manager. How do you know that the manager I spoke to isn't the same one you want me to meet with? You assume and lie. Bad combination. How are you going to accuse me of being an online thug when you're the one that is trying to bully people??? That is comical. I have a card that was originally $200 that currently has $84.13 on it that I have had since May and it still works Einstein (I told you about this when we met) this is not some hurry use it quick thing like you're trying to imply. Normally people who buy gift cards actually intend to use them and not return the items 9 days later and try to pull a fast one on the store. I don't think anyone would meet with you considering what you've already put me through the last two times. So stop trying to make it seem like it is fear. I am not going to defend myself about store credit that I did not give you. As a matter of fact can some other members chime in here and state your thoughts. We've got an admitted liar here that is looking mighty suspect right now. Stop trying to threaten people when you have no merit. Like I said do what you have to do, I have nothing to hide and nothing to prove so follow through on your threats buddy.
Jul 11, 2003
142 posts
44 upvotes
I spoke with Peter & Tanya from Woodbridge HD. Peter is the one who wants to meet you personally and he's the one who called & informed me that the GCs were bogus.

I called HD Customer Service and spoke with a lady, Melissa. She gave me her direct number and she made a call to Woodbridge HD to investigate the issue. She even called me back to inform me the same thing.

So, who's the liar now?

Anyone want to share their thoughts? HD reps? Derek? Ryan?

Letsgetit wrote: Look, I stated that I spoke with customer service, a store employee and a store manager. How do you know that the manager I spoke to isn't the same one you want me to meet with? You assume and lie. Bad combination. How are you going to accuse me of being an online thug when you're the one that is trying to bully people??? That is comical. I have a card that was originally $200 that currently has $84.13 on it that I have had since May and it still works Einstein (I told you about this when we met) this is not some hurry use it quick thing like you're trying to imply. Normally people who buy gift cards actually intend to use them and not return the items 9 days later and try to pull a fast one on the store. I don't think anyone would meet with you considering what you've already put me through the last two times. So stop trying to make it seem like it is fear. I am not going to defend myself about store credit that I did not give you. As a matter of fact can some other members chime in here and state your thoughts. We've got an admitted liar here that is looking mighty suspect right now. Stop trying to threaten people when you have no merit. Like I said do what you have to do, I have nothing to hide and nothing to prove so follow through on your threats buddy.
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2006
1109 posts
mickola wrote: IF I spent the GC for the tools and didn't return them all, YES I'll give you a good feedback and my impression to you is gonna be good.

Can you elaborate if all your buyers spent the GC right away after they got them from you? Why are you so afraid to see the Store Manager of Home Depot and kept calling me LIAR? If you're not doing anything wrong, just come and discuss this matter in adult manner and don't just be an ONLINE THUG.

The second meeting we had, YES I lied to you. I just wanted to meet you in person. This is exactly what I'm afraid of. If I PM you about the issue, you can easily refuse to meet me. It just like what I'm having now. When I told you about the fraudulent cards and asked you to meet me & the SM, you REFUSE to come.

You asked about my ZERO feedback? Ask anyone in this forum if they have ever had any transactions with me! As I mentioned to you earlier, I NEVER make any transactions with anyone in this forum, you're the first one... and maybe the last one. :(
The proof is in the pudding. That is why.
Jul 11, 2003
142 posts
44 upvotes
Bold the whole part, mister!

I apologized for trying to bargain $20 from the original price (which apparently gave you a nightmare that you kept brought this up over and over again...)

I also apologized for misleading you on the second meeting, crushing your wish to score some money from me.

See my reasoning and I don't think the main issue is the part when I tried to lure you to see me and talk in person.

Stick to the main issue. The GIFT CARDs you sold were tagged by HOME DEPOT, purchased using the fraudulent credit card..

You need to defend yourself and not accusing your victim as a liar. It's a serious issue and if you think you're not guilty, come to the store like a man and resolve the issue with me.

[QUOTE] Originally Posted by mickola View Post
IF I spent the GC for the tools and didn't return them all, YES I'll give you a good feedback and my impression to you is gonna be good.

You asked about my ZERO feedback? Ask anyone in this forum if they have ever had any transactions with me! As I mentioned to you earlier, I NEVER make any transactions with anyone in this forum, you're the first one... and maybe the last one. [/QUOTE]
Jan 16, 2005
567 posts
50 upvotes
Hello Letsgetit and Mickola,

Long thread you guys...I still actually don't understand the case here... HOWEVER,

I wonder what's the number of the kind manager who looked at the issue and wanted to speak with you two?
I wonder what's the number of the HD customer service line that you called to get those card history and info?
I have been trying all over at the Home Depot where my incident took place but I am having no luck with it:
The cashiers didn't seem to care they said they don't have rights to pull data.
I searched online for a number but couldn't find it.
There's no number printed on the gift card that I have...

Much appreciated if you don't mind posting the contact information -- THANKS.

I'm definitely the super poor girl > :( here though-- and Prestige45 is definitely A SCAMMER!! :evil:
*New Blog* One-Touch Kitchen ... http://www.onetouchkitchen.co.nr/
Married with Mortgage ... http://www.marriedwithmortgage.co.nr/
Feb 8, 2009
235 posts
7 upvotes
Vancouver
Is there proof that the gift cards were fraudulent?
Is there proof that the buyer lost money?
What credit card was used to purchase the gift cards?
Where was it used?
Who did the seller buy the gift cards from?
Where is a copy of the transaction (credit card company) pulling money from the store credit? (I knew they could do this with gift cards, but never knew they could track store credit)

Help find out the real culprit, the person who used the fraudulent credit card.

Why did the buyer make the seller wait when meeting up - and showing up with less money then agreed upon is bad etiquette. Boo. That doesn't make the buyer a scammer, just.. not someone I'd want to deal with.

Both should go in together and resolve the issue. The buyer should buy the seller a fancy coffee drink for his time (you saved $20 remember?). The seller has nothing to gain from doing all this but should be understanding that if it happened to him he'd want the same thing.