Page 1 of 1

I Know I am Not Going Crazy - Remeber the Priazzo @ Pizza Hut?

Posted: Mar 9th, 2007 5:05 pm
by thegazelle
They had this in the mid-80s, at least in the Toronto area. I swear, no one I know (or have met) in the last 10 or 15 years, remembers that Pizza Hut used to have the Priazzo. It was like a thick pan pizza that was more like a pie - you can have meat, veggie, etc. I guess it was even like a lasagne, but there was a crust on bottom (not sure about top) - but it was as thick as a lasagne or meat pie, just full of cheese and goodies. I cannot believe no one I know or has met remembers it. I know I am not nuts, because it was my favourite meal at Pizza Hut. Someone on this forum PLEASE tell me you remember the Priazzo?

Re: I Know I am Not Going Crazy - Remeber the Priazzo @ Pizza Hut?

Posted: Mar 9th, 2007 5:16 pm
by pintobean

Posted: Mar 9th, 2007 5:42 pm
by duckdown
Never heard of this

Posted: Mar 9th, 2007 6:18 pm
by ferkel
it was good.. a bit labour intensive to make, thats probably why they got rid of it.

Posted: Mar 9th, 2007 6:26 pm
by iamfat

Posted: Mar 9th, 2007 9:08 pm
by Ogata
It looks like Chicago Deep dish with another layer on top. Anyone know where in the GTA I can get some/ prefably family owned?

Posted: Mar 9th, 2007 9:23 pm
by Ojam
I liked the insider pizza.

Posted: Mar 9th, 2007 10:55 pm
by UrbanPoet
ferkel wrote: it was good.. a bit labour intensive to make, thats probably why they got rid of it.
kinda like the pizza with the built in garlic cheese bread?
I remember ordering that and waiting 30 minutes!!
I dont blame em tho... Those things look very nice... for fast food its awesome presentation. Theres something impressive with pizza that has BUILT in garlic cheese bread :P

Anyways... to the OP, that sounds like a Chicago Deep Dish pizza... I heard that in chicago theres actually deep dish pizza thats really exagerated like that...
http://www.patxispizza.com/images/deepdish.jpg
Some places make it DEEP. Depends on regional differences i guess...
typical heart attack inducing food.

Posted: Mar 10th, 2007 8:22 am
by thegazelle
Ogata wrote: It looks like Chicago Deep dish with another layer on top. Anyone know where in the GTA I can get some/ prefably family owned?
Yes, that's right. The only downside was the tremendously long wait. Guess that's why they may have gotten rid of it. I was trying to explain it to my 4-year-old and he didn't quite get it...

Those were the days...

Posted: Mar 10th, 2007 3:01 pm
by doobievibes
I've been wishing they would bring it back for years. I use to get the one with meatballs in it - I think it was called the Roma or something.

Edit: I just watched the youtube video, and realized the Roma isn't the one with the meatballs.

Posted: Mar 10th, 2007 3:43 pm
by ccdude
mmmmm priazzo

Posted: Mar 10th, 2007 5:28 pm
by callitasicit
thegazelle wrote: They had this in the mid-80s, at least in the Toronto area. I swear, no one I know (or have met) in the last 10 or 15 years, remembers that Pizza Hut used to have the Priazzo. It was like a thick pan pizza that was more like a pie - you can have meat, veggie, etc. I guess it was even like a lasagne, but there was a crust on bottom (not sure about top) - but it was as thick as a lasagne or meat pie, just full of cheese and goodies. I cannot believe no one I know or has met remembers it. I know I am not nuts, because it was my favourite meal at Pizza Hut. Someone on this forum PLEASE tell me you remember the Priazzo?
You are not nuts, I do remember it vaguely.

Priazza Types and my recipe for it

Posted: Oct 30th, 2007 5:28 am
by slackshanger
Priazzo Falso Deep Dish Recipe
By Daniel Slack

In 1985, Pizza Hut unveiled a pizza that was flavorful and filling. 4 years later none of their restaurants were serving them anymore. Over the years, I have experimented diligently to find a reasonable facsimile there of. I believe I have found it.

I made it one night for dinner to unveil it, and everyone was impressed. Some had never had a Priazzo, some had it years ago, and everyone said it was the best pizza they ever had (those included people from Philadelphia, Boston, New York, and Chicago). I named the recipe Priazzo Falso, Falso being Italian for imitation.

I have included a type list of Priazzo ingredients for reproduction of favorites. I have also improved on the sauces and dough, so my version may even surpass the original in flavor and texture.

FYI: There is an intermediate layer of dough in the Priazzo Torte that I count toward the total layers.

It is also important to note that layering is strictly important. Separating the cheese layers with meat before adding the wet ingredients (i.e. peppers, mushrooms, or what have you) will improve texture. Try to use fresh vegetables too. It prevents hydration of dry ingredients that can occur. For added flavor try fire roasting any vegetable that will be used. Also, an improvement to the sauce is to make a big batch and let it cook for six hrs or more. GOOD SAUCE TAKES TIME, and if stored properly, lasts for months.

I prefer the 6 Cheese Medium blend on average. I include various cheese blends that I deemed successful.

I do a Greek style Priazzo I call Romioi. Its filler mixture has Feta cheese, Gyro meat (a kind of meat roasted on a vertical rotisserie typically lamb or beef marinated in garlic, onion, marjoram, rosemary, salt and black pepper), tabouli (finely chopped parsley, mint, tomato, scallion, lemon juice, black pepper, cinnamon, and allspice), and olives. It uses a special green sauce consisting of green tomatoes, tzatziki (made of strained yogurt, seeded and finely diced cucumbers, garlic, salt, vinegar, dill, and parsley), and olive oil sauce. It is very enjoyable both cold and hot. The name is derived from the Turkish word Rumelia or Rumeli, meaning the land of Romioi (the land of Greeks)

Also, I use a heatsink, you will want to experiment with the technique without one. Maybe try pre-baking the vegetables and meat and then layering them while still warm, adding the cold cheese in-between the layers.

Priazzo
Types of Priazzo

Priazzo (classic 2-decker - 1 inner layer of fillings)
Priazzo Torte (3-5 decker - 3 inner layers of fillings)

Deutsche (sliced knockwurst and sauerkraut)
Roma (pepperoni, beef, pork, onions, mushrooms, Italian sausage)
Milano (pepperoni, beef, pork, Italian sausage, bacon bits)
Verona (sliced meatballs, onions, green peppers)
Florentine (five cheeses, regular Cheddar, Mozzarella, Ricotta, Romano, and Parmesan - combined with ham and spinach)
Napoli (four cheeses: Mozzarella, Cheddar, Romano, and Parmesan - topped off with a layer of freshly sliced tomatoes)
Portofino (Italian sausage links, onions, green peppers)
Romioi (Gyro meat, tabouli, olives, onions, garlic)(unique variant: green tomatoes, tzatziki and olive oil sauce)

Various Cheese Blends

Classic 3-Blend (Mozzarella, regular Cheddar, Monterrey Jack)
Mild 3-Blend (Mozzarella, American, Loraine Swiss)
Medium 6-Blend (Mozzarella, Monterey Jack, Cheddar, Provolone, Parmesan, Romano)
Sharp 4-Blend (sharp Cheddar, Edam, Romano, Parmesan)

Priazzo Equipment for Priazzo:

(Purchased from http://www.chefsplanet.com/)
1 Chefs Planet #598 Deep Dish Pizza Pan 2 Piece Set - Rustica (traditional Italian) Pan w/ Trimming Lid
(Purchased from http://www.amnow.com/pizzaSupplies/heatSinks.html)
1 AmNow #HS-999 Baking Heat sinks 40 pins 9" (22.9 cm) Point to Point. For 14" - 16" pizzas

Pizza Sauce for Priazzo

4 (6 oz) cans tomato paste
1/2 cup Italian Chianti or any other dry red wine heated to 100 degrees
1/2 cup water
4 Tblsp grated Parmesan cheese
2 tsp minced garlic
1 Tblsp honey
1 Tblsp anchovy paste (optional)
1 Tblsp onion powder
2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried marjoram
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
Salt to taste

Mix all ingredients and let sit at least 30 minutes and up to 1 day before using, stirring occasionally, and refrigerated if allowed to sit more than 1 hour. Makes enough sauce for two 12"-14" Priazzo
Cheese Mix for Priazzo

3 3/4 cups shredded Mozzarella
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack
3/4 cup shredded Cheddar
1 cup shredded Provolone
3/4 cup tablespoons grated Parmesan
3/4 cup grated Romano

Store mixture in air-tight container until used

Italian Herb Mix for Priazzo Crust

2 tsp Dried oregano
1 tsp Dried basil
1 tsp Dried rosemary
1 tsp Dried thyme
1 tsp Dried sage
2 tsp Dried parsley or cilantro

Store mixture in air-tight container until used

Priazzo Crust

2 pkt dry yeast
1 2/3 cups warm water
2 tsp sugar
2 1/2 cups cold water
3 Tblsp corn oil
1/3 tsp garlic salt
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup Dry Italian herb mix
6 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups corn meal

Soak corn meal in separate bowl 20 minutes in 1 cup of warm water prior to use.
Soak Italian herb mix in 1/8 cup of water prior to use
Sprinkle yeast over warm water and stir in the sugar. Let stand about 5 minutes or until very bubbly.

Combine the remaining ingredients with about half of the flour, beating to a smooth batter.

Combine yeast mixture, cornmeal mixture and the Italian herb mixture.

Beat in the yeast mixture. Then with a sturdy spoon work in remaining flour until you can toss it lightly on a floured surface and knead it until it feels elastic in texture.

The kneading may require about 3/4 cup additional flour, which you will be coating your hand with as you knead the dough. Don't let the dough become too stiff.

Place it in a large plastic food bag or bowl. Be sure to spray inside with a cooking spray or wipe the inside of it with oil and place the ball of kneaded dough to rise until doubled in bulk. Be sure the plastic bag or bowl is large enough that it will permit the dough to double. You can place the bag or bowl of dough on a warm, sunny spot on the table or kitchen counter which helps it to rise.

When dough has doubled, punch it down and shape it. Form the dough into a ball about six to eight inches wide.
Using both hands, one on top of the other, press from the center outwards on it to start stretching it out, turning the dough a bit on each push. You can also pick up the dough and squeeze the edges of it while turning it like a steering wheel. This allows the weight of the dough to stretch it.

Once the dough is about 1/2" thick all the way around, use a rolling pin to flatten it out to about 1/4" thick. Run the pin over once or twice, flip the dough over and give it a quarter turn and roll it again to make it even. Roll it till there is approximately 1/4 inch over lapping the pizza pan edge

Take a fork and put puncture holes all over the dough. This keeps it from bubbling up while cooking. Transfer dough to the Deep Dish Pizza Pan that has been greased and dusted in cornmeal. Press over the bottom and up the sides of the pan.

In a frying pan, brown any meat and vegetables you will be using in the Priazzo.

Start stacking the ingredients starting with a layer of meat, sauce, then vegetable, then cheese, then meat, etc. Midway you can add a thin layer of crust half the size of the outside crust, being sure to coat it lightly with oil to limit moisture absorption. Proceed to continue the layering process until you reach the top of the pie. Cover each pie with dough that has also been punctured all over with a fork; crimp edges to seal.

Add the sauce and topping ingredients, spreading each ingredient evenly over the dough. Let this rise about 20 minutes in a warm place and then bake at 350, about 45 to 60 minutes, til brown and crisp. I cook one Priazzo at a time on center rack of the preheated oven for consistency of product.