Automotive

I Laugh At People Trying To Get OUT Of Leases

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 10th, 2018 1:12 am
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
46749 posts
12720 upvotes
OP, how's the fight with the red light traffic camera?

I think that's more stupid than people who leased a vehicle, no matter if the agreement was lopsided in favor of the manufacturer.
[OP]
Dec 15, 2017
678 posts
141 upvotes
Toronto
Anikiri wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 3:37 pm
I think the biggest takeaway here is that people still buy Infinitis.

I am surprised these dealerships arent bankrupt.
Am I a basement feak or something? Since when is Infinity on the verge of bankruptcy or not a wanted product?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
5687 posts
4030 upvotes
North York
MusicBox wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 3:21 pm
I believe it. Because if I have to give this guy 9k cash to take over his headache what do I get in return? Nothing! The vehicle has been degraded and is a used vehicle now. In that case I would just go to the dealership and get the same car brand new myself.
Well, can you get lease for $450 a month and have similar buy-out at lease-end? If you can't, shut up
Mar 21, 2013
913 posts
622 upvotes
EDMONTON
People who need to get out of leases make up the dumbest segment of new car 'buyers'. So it's not surprising.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
46749 posts
12720 upvotes
Blubbs wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 4:28 pm
People who need to get out of leases make up the dumbest segment of new car 'buyers'. So it's not surprising.
Some are smart enough to offer minor incentives (1-2 month payments) and admin fee when they know there are excess wears and tears on the vehicles.

Sort of like Jim Carrey in Dumb and Dumber.
Last edited by alanbrenton on Dec 5th, 2018 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jun 14, 2017
492 posts
377 upvotes
MusicBox wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 1:57 pm
I always thought that people that wanted to give up car lease payments were doing it because they felt under pressure and were desperate but that's not the case. I just contacted this place where you can take over leases from people that want to get rid of them. Guess what? They want to make a profit out of you.

This guy wants to get out of a $450/month lease for an Infinity sedan. But he wants me to give him cash up front (about $9k) that he has given the lender over the years and for me to keep paying the rest of the lease. * LOL.

I thought the way this worked was that you just kept paying the lease after taking it over, and nothing more.
No, but he probably thinks you are tho. Glad you didn't fall for this scam
Last edited by MrDisco on Dec 8th, 2018 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quote edited
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2007
5637 posts
1109 upvotes
???
nasa25 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 2:51 pm
I sees what yous done there

Ragusayku would be proud
I loled
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
1489 posts
697 upvotes
, ON
Anikiri wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 3:37 pm
I think the biggest takeaway here is that people still buy Infinitis.

I am surprised these dealerships arent bankrupt.
This is one of many examples of “don’t believe on everything that you read on public forum” advice
Nov 10, 2018
198 posts
71 upvotes
Thread renamed to

"I laugh at people when they're down on their luck and about to go broke"

It's not nice. This is a dumb and mean thread.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2813 posts
1545 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
Well it all depends on the market value of the car. Say car is worth $35k. lease payments remaining is $500x16 months = $16,000 plus buyback of $14000. If straight take over, you came out ahead $5,000. This sometimes happens if someone puts a huge down payment. Even if they ask for $2500, you still ahead $2500. So it's not stupid.

Also, some people may pay a security deposit to lower down the interest rate. This amount you get back and is reasonable for the seller to ask for it back.
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2002
1794 posts
630 upvotes
It ain't easy getting a good used car that's a good deal nowadays.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
6723 posts
1280 upvotes
Mississauga
You dont know why people are trying to get out of their leases. It could be bad luck, a divorce, job change and many other reasons. Take each lease as you see it, some good deals and some not so good deals.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
9397 posts
1929 upvotes
Markham
pinkdonut wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 3:33 pm
OP do you also make a post and complain about every ads and products you think are overpriced out there?

If you don't like it, just walk away...
No one force you to buy and look at it...a canada goose jacket for $1.5K might be ret*rded to you or some, but bargain for others.

Stop whining about stuffs that doesn't even affect you
Well said.

OP, I agree that the deal you posted is bad, but not all lease taker over deal is bad. You just have to look and pick the right one.
Don't judge on the whole tree if only one leaf is yellow.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
23262 posts
3573 upvotes
angryaudifanatic wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 8:24 pm
Thread renamed to

"I laugh at people when they're down on their luck and about to go broke"

It's not nice. This is a dumb and mean thread.
That's not what's happening at all here. OP's example is of a guy that leased a car for a while and then somehow wants someone else to pay for what he already paid for and take over the rest of the lease.

Doesn't work like that. When you lease, you are paying to use the car for a specified amount of time. If the guy used the car for xx months then guess what? He should have paid for those months. Anything after that is simply trying to get out of the car before the lease comes to the end. In that case, if the guy were really "down on his luck" he'd just glad to pay the transfer fee, and let the car go so he's not financially burdened by the payments any longer. Not ask for someone else to pay for the time he used the car already.

In fact most people that try to get rid of their leases put in a cash incentive to the person that takes over the lease. I.e. they pay them to take the lease off their hands. Not the other way around.

I mean there are exceptions to this such as when the original lessee placed multiple security deposits, or if they put in a downpayment. In this case the original lessee may want to get some or all of that money back by asking the person taking over to pay them, however this does not seem like that kind of thing.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
2820 posts
641 upvotes
Edmonton
dantey wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 11:16 pm
It ain't easy getting a good used car that's a good deal nowadays.
Uhhh yes it is. Very easy. Maybe your not looking at the right spots or are limiting what your looking for.

Every vehicle I buy I drive for a while (up to 3 years even) and then sell AND make a profit off it.
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8