Automotive

I lease a car, can someone else insure it?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 30th, 2011 9:46 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Apr 18, 2008
64 posts

I lease a car, can someone else insure it?

My wife's parents are both on government pensions and their car bit the dust. They cannot afford to buy another one. My question is, can I lease a car under my name for them and they put the auto insurance under their names?

TIA!
21 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2007
2167 posts
67 upvotes
why don't you insure it and put them on occasional driver instead of primary?
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2008
8984 posts
238 upvotes
Whomever the car is registered to is the one who can get insurance on it.
[OP]
Apr 18, 2008
64 posts
I could insure it and have them as occasional, yes. The thing is, they'll be doing 90% of the driving. Not sure how closely insurance companies track that stuff.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2008
8984 posts
238 upvotes
nem5325 wrote:
Jun 29th, 2011 2:58 pm
I could insure it and have them as occasional, yes. The thing is, they'll be doing 90% of the driving. Not sure how closely insurance companies track that stuff.

Are they living with you? If so, do you own other vehicles (how many?)
[OP]
Apr 18, 2008
64 posts
They are not living with us (10 minutes away) and we have only one car.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
15936 posts
2492 upvotes
Toronto
I doubt any insurance companies will provide such policy even with full disclosure. Then you have the leasing company to deal with too. You sign the lease and yet it's somebody else is driving the car almost exclusively.
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2006
4150 posts
151 upvotes
North York
Forget leasing. Buy them a new or used reasonably priced car for them so they can drive for it an indefinite amount of time. Leasing only solves the problem for a few years.
Korean girlfriends? Learn to Google? Save money?
What RFD can do for you?

If you drive dangerously I hope you get caught and lose your license/car/dignity! :twisted: :twisted:
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2008
8984 posts
238 upvotes
nem5325 wrote:
Jun 29th, 2011 3:38 pm
They are not living with us (10 minutes away) and we have only one car.

Technically, you're allowed to lend your car to people who don't live with you (and not listed on the policy) and they'll be covered under your policy.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
19892 posts
1520 upvotes
JAGpilot wrote:
Jun 29th, 2011 3:43 pm
Forget leasing. Buy them a new or used reasonably priced car for them so they can drive for it an indefinite amount of time. Leasing only solves the problem for a few years.
Well they are elderly, lol.
rems wrote:
Jun 29th, 2011 2:49 pm
Whomever the car is registered to is the one who can get insurance on it.
In a lease that would be the lessor though and surely they don't get the insurance on the car; you do, as the registered plate holder.
Banned
Nov 23, 2006
748 posts
44 upvotes
nem5325 wrote:
Jun 29th, 2011 2:43 pm
My wife's parents are both on government pensions and their car bit the dust. They cannot afford to buy another one. My question is, can I lease a car under my name for them and they put the auto insurance under their names?

TIA!

You can buy the car; ownership goes in your name and you become named insured on the insurance policy. They'll get added as primary / secondary drivers.

Also you can have the car added to your existing policy and the postal code where your in-laws live can be used for rating (premium) purposes.

The biggest risk with putting a car in your name and letting someone else drive it is that if there is an accident it will follow the registered owner of the car. If they have an accident and remain on the policy then they'll be rated for it; but lets say they don't want the car or insurance anymore that accident will follow you and will cause your rate to go up for each car you're insured with.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
3755 posts
299 upvotes
Toronto
rems wrote:
Jun 29th, 2011 3:46 pm
Technically, you're allowed to lend your car to people who don't live with you (and not listed on the policy) and they'll be covered under your policy.

There are risks associated to this: it is misrepresentation to insure it in someone's name and have another drive it 90%.

Also if the info on the ownership and insurance slip dont match you can get a ticket. If it is leased or financed, the dealer wont let you drive the car off the lot until they see proof of insurance and will likely deny you if the info does not match. Just play it safe and have it insured under their own names. If they cant afford insurance they should not be driving.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
10986 posts
1342 upvotes
nem5325 wrote:
Jun 29th, 2011 2:43 pm
..My question is, can I lease a car under my name for them and they put the auto insurance under their names?TIA!

No, the leasing company won't release the car to you unless the ins docs are in order. They will check

Leave the lease in the parents name as the ins will likely be cheaper. You might have to cosign the lease
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2008
8984 posts
238 upvotes
NEMESIS_2008 wrote:
Jun 29th, 2011 4:03 pm
There are risks associated to this: it is misrepresentation to insure it in someone's name and have another drive it 90%.

Also if the info on the ownership and insurance slip dont match you can get a ticket. If it is leased or financed, the dealer wont let you drive the car off the lot until they see proof of insurance and will likely deny you if the info does not match. Just play it safe and have it insured under their own names. If they cant afford insurance they should not be driving.

Yea it's a loop hole. One that's hard to verify. Cuz how many teens are occasional under their parents but are actually the ones driving the vehicle most of the time?

And the OP said the parents can afford the insurance...just not the car :-P
× < >