Computers & Electronics

I love you Teksavvy, but it's time to move on.

• Last Updated:
  • May 13th, 2015 10:22 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2013
2732 posts
277 upvotes
Mississauga, Ontario

I love you Teksavvy, but it's time to move on.

I love Teksavvy cable internet, great customer service, consistent billing, relatively stable (only a few outages in 4 years I can remember), but I feel that they are not competitive anymore on value. The prices are not that great, and the whole 150GB / 400GB cap is really a joke. I tried the "Zap the Cap" feature, and honestly I don't like having to see my internet speed cut by a third during peak times just to have unlimited. By parents watch some streaming so it's an issue.

Seeing all these offers for unlimited from Rogers is really enticing me, even though I despised Rogers back in the day. But to be fair, I have heard that they have been improving. I'm not sure exactly why Teksavvy doesn't seem to be trying to compete anymore? :confused:

I don't like Rogers at all, but at the end of the day, I want to maximize the value of my dollar, and I don't feel like Teksavvy is doing a good job of that anymore. :(

Anyone else feel the same way?
18 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2002
19368 posts
1071 upvotes
Don't feel bad ... You are not alone ....

The upfront cost at TS is simply getting too high and takes too long to break even when the competitors are offering higher speed / no cap / "free" modem rental ...
Feb 24, 2015
5 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto, ON
SuperDuperFox wrote: I love Teksavvy cable internet, great customer service, consistent billing, relatively stable (only a few outages in 4 years I can remember), but I feel that they are not competitive anymore on value. The prices are not that great, and the whole 150GB / 400GB cap is really a joke. I tried the "Zap the Cap" feature, and honestly I don't like having to see my internet speed cut by a third during peak times just to have unlimited. By parents watch some streaming so it's an issue.

Seeing all these offers for unlimited from Rogers is really enticing me, even though I despised Rogers back in the day. But to be fair, I have heard that they have been improving. I'm not sure exactly why Teksavvy doesn't seem to be trying to compete anymore? :confused:

I don't like Rogers at all, but at the end of the day, I want to maximize the value of my dollar, and I don't feel like Teksavvy is doing a good job of that anymore. :(

Anyone else feel the same way?
I do!!
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2006
2925 posts
628 upvotes
Toronto
My retired parents are on a grandfathered plan with Teksavvy. So for their light usage, it's a no brainer to stick with them.

But I agree with you. When I was researching ISPs, I didn't find their prices attractive.

Have you considered Electronic Box? I ended up with them. Check out my thread: pipolchaps-electronic-box-group-buy-2-o ... a-1711927/
Feb 25, 2014
431 posts
113 upvotes
Westeros
At least you have the choice. ;) I'm in a brand new condo and forced to use either Rogers or Bell. I called Teksavvy and they can't even access this new "fibre" infrastructure. I called TSI escalated to a senior rep and they got back to me within 48 hours. Rogers 250/20 unlimited is amazing but the price isn't that great. I hope not too many others are trapped like I am.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12861 posts
1485 upvotes
Pickering
Piraxx wrote: At least you have the choice. ;) I'm in a brand new condo and forced to use either Rogers or Bell. I called Teksavvy and they can't even access this new "fibre" infrastructure. I called TSI escalated to a senior rep and they got back to me within 48 hours. Rogers 250/20 unlimited is amazing but the price isn't that great. I hope not too many others are trapped like I am.
I called it. More on the way. Fibre to the homes. My prediction is that the telcos will install fibre into some existing neighbourhoods and then drop the copper and either give it to the third party at low to no cost. This means the third party will have to install their own facilities and get their own technicians to connect. Then you will see them go under or raise the price sky high.

Verizon is who I am watching because they are at an advanced stage of this game. I heard (but cannot confirm) they swing you a sweet deal on the fibre and when the rates increase and you go third party you can't because the copper was mutilated. If this were ever true, they may have been stopped and I can't see Canadian incumbents doing this as they have no history of such actions like the US telcos do.

Remember the forced access was to existing copper loops in 1996 and the third party people were supposed to have their own installed by 2001-2002. They are currently quadruple extended on that. Technology is changing and the incumbents don't have to maintain things they won't use.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14763 posts
4912 upvotes
Montreal
Piraxx wrote: I hope not too many others are trapped like I am.
one of my friends is in a new housing development, same as you, no dsl option just fibe or rogers - problem is that someone (construction guys probably) cut/damaged the fibre cable so it's rogers only in that neighbourhood.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
8718 posts
1069 upvotes
Scarborough
Is this Rogers "250/20 unlimited deal" only good for 1st 3 months, regular pricing after?
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1338 upvotes
Some people just fall for those tempting BHell and Roger's snares !

Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
19892 posts
4109 upvotes
9347934 downvotes
AudiDude wrote: I called it. More on the way. Fibre to the homes. My prediction is that the telcos will install fibre into some existing neighbourhoods and then drop the copper and either give it to the third party at low to no cost. This means the third party will have to install their own facilities and get their own technicians to connect. Then you will see them go under or raise the price sky high.

Verizon is who I am watching because they are at an advanced stage of this game. I heard (but cannot confirm) they swing you a sweet deal on the fibre and when the rates increase and you go third party you can't because the copper was mutilated. If this were ever true, they may have been stopped and I can't see Canadian incumbents doing this as they have no history of such actions like the US telcos do.

Remember the forced access was to existing copper loops in 1996 and the third party people were supposed to have their own installed by 2001-2002. They are currently quadruple extended on that. Technology is changing and the incumbents don't have to maintain things they won't use.
And now we've got an interesting scenario where people don't want the latest technology because they can't use resellers anymore. I'm sure the government will eventually force discounted access to incumbent fiber.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2013
2732 posts
277 upvotes
Mississauga, Ontario
JackWhyte wrote: one of my friends is in a new housing development, same as you, no dsl option just fibe or rogers - problem is that someone (construction guys probably) cut/damaged the fibre cable so it's rogers only in that neighbourhood.
How suspiciously convenient for Rogers.... :lol:
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2015
1999 posts
158 upvotes
Wood Bridge
JackWhyte wrote: one of my friends is in a new housing development, same as you, no dsl option just fibe or rogers - problem is that someone (construction guys probably) cut/damaged the fibre cable so it's rogers only in that neighbourhood.
well enjoy your "rogers" services but dont ask me if u have issues, im merely a janitor
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38383 posts
12008 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I am sure that both Rogers and Bell pay the developer to have their lines accessible to each new home. If you pay more, then you become the only option.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2004
3309 posts
147 upvotes
All this stuff is fairly cyclical, a new ISP moves in an offers below wholesale prices and gets a whole whack of new users, then starts to push the price, cuts corners and throttles to death. Then the old traditional ISP's see their market shard plummet and they get on the bandwagon with new user deals, special incentives and faster packages that lock in any one service. All have retention departments that talk the earth, say they're giving you heaven and in reality you get hell. Well and good if you're willing to play the game, be on top of the ball all the time, and watch like a hawk for transgressions, you might do better than Teksavvy.

I prefer a solid deal, unwavering support, responsive CS if needed, reliable service that Teksavvy brings.

They were here yesterday, here to-day and will be here tomorrow, if you're only seeing the bottom line on your bill, then you really haven't appreciated Teksavvy.com.
Feb 24, 2009
198 posts
16 upvotes
ah802 wrote: I prefer a solid deal, unwavering support, responsive CS if needed, reliable service that Teksavvy brings.

They were here yesterday, here to-day and will be here tomorrow, if you're only seeing the bottom line on your bill, then you really haven't appreciated Teksavvy.com.
nope
not when Rogers is offering a 100 Mbps ~ Unlimited plan for $84.99 that includes free modem, free NHL package and free Shomi
and Teksavvy offers 100 Mbps ~ Unlimited for $94.95 with no freebies and you have to buy the modem

sorry, but the costs make it a no-brainer to switch
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12861 posts
1485 upvotes
Pickering
Whose fibre cable would have gotten cut?The imaginary third party fibre cable that was never there? Please enlighten the rest of us because I have never seen anybody cough up the bucks to bring their own facilities to a Bell/Rogers neighbourhood except Futureway Communications/FCI broadband.
Gee wrote: I am sure that both Rogers and Bell pay the developer to have their lines accessible to each new home. If you pay more, then you become the only option.

The trench that everybody uses is the same one for hydro. It is a step trench with the hydro at the bottom and a shelf with the communications at the top. Costs are split amongst the companies. So the less companies are in the trench, the more the cost. The builder doesn't give a crap about telecommunications. If they did, they would stop driving over the facilities with their forklifts and backhoes by "accident".
Aug 21, 2012
824 posts
104 upvotes
tdeem1 wrote: nope
not when Rogers is offering a 100 Mbps ~ Unlimited plan for $84.99 that includes free modem, free NHL package and free Shomi
and Teksavvy offers 100 Mbps ~ Unlimited for $94.95 with no freebies and you have to buy the modem

sorry, but the costs make it a no-brainer to switch
Teksavvy says they will likely have something soon to match Rogers ignite service.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r300145 ... ing-for-me

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)