• Apr 22nd, 2016 7:35 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2005
1647 posts
155 upvotes

I missed my court day for a traffic ticket

I missed read the date and missed my hearing. What should i do now? I know there court fees i need to pay cuz i missed it. Is there a way around this. Can i get a retrail?

Thanx

Edit: my appologies its a PARKING TICKET, not a traffic
26 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2007
1332 posts
68 upvotes
Toronto
Most likely your driver's licence is now under suspension, but yes, you can ask for another court date. Once this new date is filed with the Ministry of Transportation, your suspension and reinstatement fee will be rescinded and you will be able to drive again, legally.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2006
3437 posts
1116 upvotes
Toronto
Broli's Mom wrote:
Jun 9th, 2008 3:38 pm
Most likely your driver's licence is now under suspension, but yes, you can ask for another court date. Once this new date is filed with the Ministry of Transportation, your suspension and reinstatement fee will be rescinded and you will be able to drive again, legally.
What?
Where the heck did you get the idea that the OP's driver's licence would be suspended for missing his court date? That is so wrong it made my head hurt.

The worst case scenario for the OP is that he will have been convicted and will receive a notice in the mail advising him to pay his fine plus court costs. If he wants to try and re-open the case, then he needs to go to the courthouse and submit a form asking for a re-opening of the case. This is only granted in certain specific situations, and I'm not sure if misreading the date is a valid reason, but there is no harm in trying.

The only reason his licence would possibly be suspended is if he was charged with drunk driving or speeding 50+ over the limit and had been ordered to appear in court, or his offence carried a penalty of licence suspension upon conviction.
Dec 28, 2002
970 posts
1 upvote
pintobean wrote:
Jun 9th, 2008 3:48 pm
What?
Where the heck did you get the idea that the OP's driver's licence would be suspended for missing his court date? That is so wrong it made my head hurt.
do you know for a fact it cannot be suspended? I know someone who got a ticket for speeding 10 over, never payed his ticket or went for court so it was like having the ticket on that yellow paper after the cop writes it to you, just toss that out and never did anything.

couple months later recieved a letter stating his license is suspended until he pays all the fees
Mar 7, 2006
59 posts
3 upvotes
BladeX wrote:
Jun 9th, 2008 4:00 pm
do you know for a fact it cannot be suspended? I know someone who got a ticket for speeding 10 over, never payed his ticket or went for court so it was like having the ticket on that yellow paper after the cop writes it to you, just toss that out and never did anything.

couple months later recieved a letter stating his license is suspended until he pays all the fees
That mostly likely has to be with him not paying his fine(s) withing the alloted amount of time, not for not appearing in court.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2007
1332 posts
68 upvotes
Toronto
pintobean wrote:
Jun 9th, 2008 3:48 pm
What?

The worst case scenario for the OP is that he will have been convicted and will receive a notice in the mail advising him to pay his fine plus court costs. If he wants to try and re-open the case, then he needs to go to the courthouse and submit a form asking for a re-opening of the case. This is only granted in certain specific situations, and I'm not sure if misreading the date is a valid reason, but there is no harm in trying.

The only reason his licence would possibly be suspended is if he was charged with drunk driving or speeding 50+ over the limit and had been ordered to appear in court, or his offence carried a penalty of licence suspension upon conviction.
Not paying any ticket for a moving violation will suspend a driver's licence, be it speeding or disobeying a legal sign. Drivers have approximately 14 days to pay the fine or file an appeal (apply for a court date). Filing an appeal with the court will stay the suspension. However, if a person does not pay the ticket and/or does not show up for their scheduled court date, the suspension hits the record until either the fine is paid or another appeal is filed.

Of course, this is how it works in Ontario, the OP may be from another jurisdiction.
Dec 27, 2007
644 posts
4 upvotes
Broli's Mom wrote:
Jun 9th, 2008 4:10 pm
Not paying any ticket for a moving violation will suspend a driver's licence, be it speeding or disobeying a legal sign. Filing an appeal with the court will stay the suspension. However, if a person does not pay the ticket and/or does not show up for their scheduled court date, the suspension hits the record until either the fine is paid or another appeal is filed.

Of course, this is how it works in Ontario, the OP may be from another jurisdiction.

The OP asked about failure to appear, not failure to pay. The probable consequence of a failure to appear is a judgment in absence.

If he doesn't pay, then his license is suspended.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2006
3437 posts
1116 upvotes
Toronto
Broli's Mom wrote:
Jun 9th, 2008 4:10 pm
Not paying any ticket for a moving violation will suspend a driver's licence, be it speeding or disobeying a legal sign. Drivers have approximately 14 days to pay the fine or file an appeal (apply for a court date). Filing an appeal with the court will stay the suspension. However, if a person does not pay the ticket and/or does not show up for their scheduled court date, the suspension hits the record until either the fine is paid or another appeal is filed.

Wow...I am in Ontario, and all I can say is that you are so misinformed it's scary.

While it is true that failing to pay a ticket can result in a licence suspension, it actually takes a lot more for that to happen than simply missing the trial. When you miss your trial date you are convicted in your absence and will then receive a notice in the mail ordering you to pay the fine plus costs. If you ignore that notice, you will get at least two more notices before any suspension proceedings are even started against you.

So you are blatantly wrong to be telling the OP that his licence has most likely already been suspended, as he only said that he missed his trial...he never said anything about ignoring subsequent court notices to pay the fine.

And by the way, I am speaking from first hand knowledge and experience in this exact same situation (with my wife)...
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2007
1332 posts
68 upvotes
Toronto
pintobean wrote:
Jun 9th, 2008 5:04 pm
Wow...I am in Ontario, and all I can say is that you are so misinformed it's scary.

While it is true that failing to pay a ticket can result in a licence suspension, it actually takes a lot more for that to happen than simply missing the trial. When you miss your trial date you are convicted in your absence and will then receive a notice in the mail ordering you to pay the fine plus costs. If you ignore that notice, you will get at least two more notices before any suspension proceedings are even started against you.

So you are blatantly wrong to be telling the OP that his licence has most likely already been suspended, as he only said that he missed his trial...he never said anything about ignoring subsequent court notices to pay the fine.

And by the way, I am speaking from first hand knowledge and experience in this exact same situation (with my wife)...
Fair enough.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2005
1647 posts
155 upvotes
Thanx pintobean.
From what i got, it seems reasonable (ticket + court fees). Reading about my license being suspended freaked me. I never intended to miss it and i never intended to not pay, just that I wanted fight my rediculous parking ticket. Didnt know it would cause me all these problems!

I shoulda put that it was a parking ticket. Nothing serious, and no points deducted. Im in Toronto.
So still going with the orginal question, can i still re open the case (get a new court date)?
Sep 16, 2004
178 posts
Toronto
Please help me. Looks like I missed my court date because i received this in the mail. Notice of suspension of Driver's license. My licence is suspended as of sept 9 for not paying my fine!
I am supposed to go to court not get this. I moved about a year ago and my mails were all over the place. I researched it if i pay my ticket it takes 4 days to get it back. Does anybody know if I reopen my case do I get my license back right away?
Any suggestions what I should do?

help me

Thanks
Alex
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2006
6861 posts
1064 upvotes
Richmond Hill
LOL

Man you screwed up HUGE. You KNEW you missed your court date yet you still neglected to take care of it. Sorry to say but you deserve this.

You WILL NOT be able to get your license reinstated any faster then what they have told you. I believe it costs $200 to reinstate + fine.

Have fun!
Sep 16, 2004
178 posts
Toronto
EP32k2 wrote:
Sep 15th, 2009 11:23 pm
LOL

Man you screwed up HUGE. You KNEW you missed your court date yet you still neglected to take care of it. Sorry to say but you deserve this.

You WILL NOT be able to get your license reinstated any faster then what they have told you. I believe it costs $200 to reinstate + fine.

Have fun!
You are not helping me you making me feel worse :-(
I didn
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2009
2402 posts
55 upvotes
Thornhill
Run to Mexico.

But seriously, just call the court and go from there. Cops aren't on the way to you're house to seize your car and license...don't worry....yet. (Joking)

Edit: Oh its a PARKING TICKET?!? All you have to do is pay the fine.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2006
6861 posts
1064 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Yes he has to pay the fine, but he still has to deal with the suspended license.

I don't think there's anyway around it. Even if he contacts the court to re-open the file his license will still be suspended probably.
× < >