• Sep 2nd, 2005 10:39 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2005
3813 posts
25 upvotes

I need a alternator!! damn

i need a High Output alternator for my 97 civic CX, my sound system cant go in until i get atleast a 180-200 AMP alternator.

anyone know a place online or in GTA where i can buy this? i tried hard on [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=78]ebay[/rfdlink] but most of them are for accord and some for civics but the LX.

anyone can help me?
18 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2005
1686 posts
109 upvotes
are you sure you need a new alternator? pretty much every moderate system I've ever seen that was setup right did not need a higher output alternator

unless your going for a few thousand rms and up you're probably going to be ok with just upgrading the wiring
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2005
3813 posts
25 upvotes
yes i am going with a few thousand watts :) 2 500 watt subs and a 1600 watt amp.

i NEED the alt or else i will need a new battry every other day lol.

Anyone?
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2005
1686 posts
109 upvotes
what amp is it and what is it's current draw?
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2005
3813 posts
25 upvotes
its a hifonics 1600D mono amp, its drawing 160 amps max, since its got 2 80 amp fuse's.

basically i need 200A Alternator, i just need a place to buy.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
9294 posts
415 upvotes
masterballer wrote:its a hifonics 1600D mono amp, its drawing 160 amps max, since its got 2 80 amp fuse's.

Ask whereever you're buying the amps from, they would know for sure.
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2005
1686 posts
109 upvotes
160amps is the point where the fuses will blow protecting the amp, I would say a more reasonable number would probably be 80-100amps of actual current draw through normal use, and that's pounding the subs. I don't know what the Civics alternator is rated at but I assume it's probably in the 80-100 amp range. Will that be enough to support the amp and the rest of the electrical system? Beats me, but before you go out and start throwing money out the window, you might want to try it out first. What's the worst thing that will happen? You'll have to replace the alternator?

as for a replacement, just do a search on Google for Ohio Generators, it's one of the better known companies for upgraded alternators. You can also try getting your current alternator rewound by any number of alternator shops. Realistcally the most you're ever going to need with that setup is 130-140amps which shouldn't be a problem getting out of a stock bodied alternator
masterballer wrote:its a hifonics 1600D mono amp, its drawing 160 amps max, since its got 2 80 amp fuse's.

Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2005
1686 posts
109 upvotes
caps are a sales gimmick, just search through any one of the numerous car audio sites for tests that prove that. If your charging system can't support the amps, a cap isn't going to do anything for you
phillbert wrote:look for a capicator too.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12861 posts
1485 upvotes
Pickering
phillbert wrote:look for a capicator too.
A cap is only good for transients, if installed properly.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2004
1040 posts
do you really need that much sound. arent you cool enough?
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2004
1480 posts
135 upvotes
bunga wrote:caps are a sales gimmick, just search through any one of the numerous car audio sites for tests that prove that. If your charging system can't support the amps, a cap isn't going to do anything for you
hence "too"
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2005
3813 posts
25 upvotes
ait guys thanks for the help, i bought the amp on [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=78]ebay[/rfdlink] so cant ask them lol.

i ll try the shop thats doing the install they MUST know.
Mar 17, 2004
497 posts
63 upvotes

I think you need to look at the nominal output value and not the max. Thats the amount of power your amp will be drawing 95% of the time.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2005
1735 posts
243 upvotes
BC
woudnt a deepcycle battery be more efficent?
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2005
1705 posts
61 upvotes
Windsor
masterballer wrote:i need a High Output alternator for my 97 civic CX, my sound system cant go in until i get atleast a 180-200 AMP alternator.
Don't forget your hearing protection. Believe me, you'll miss being able to hear in 5 years when it's gone.

(I'm deaf myself, but born that way)
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2005
3813 posts
25 upvotes
yes a deep cycle is going to help, i am getting one of those aswell, you need those for ANY setup.

i dont really care what the max / min is of the amp, all i know is that this amp + all the other electornics will need atleast a 160A alt.

anyone?
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12861 posts
1485 upvotes
Pickering
oldsnail wrote:woudnt a deepcycle battery be more efficent?
A deep cycle battery wants to be trickle charged, not rapid charged like with an alternator. Usually rapid charging kills these batteries sooner.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)