• Dec 10th, 2008 9:25 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Oct 28, 2008
35 posts
Toronto

i need help~a cable was linked across my driveway

i jus moved into a new house for 3 weeks, n i found a cable was linked to the street light on my lawn to my next neighbor's house. i cant remember if the cable was there b4 i brought the house or after, but its prety of anoying to me, i've upload the video, can somone tell me can the(my neighbor)legally do tat?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbv9cMAQ2Nc
16 replies
Banned
Sep 11, 2008
404 posts
3 upvotes
GTA West
Appears to be for service provisioned by Rogers Cablesystems.
Mortgage Agent Licence M08006899
Mortgage Brokerage Licence 11157
Deal Fanatic
Aug 22, 2005
7399 posts
685 upvotes
Cut it down and see what happens :)

Then put up a sign, no-fly zone. See what Rogers does then.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
20366 posts
1594 upvotes
jason9945 wrote:
Dec 9th, 2008 4:43 pm
If thats the case they will probably come bury it in the spring... At some point...
Spring 2012 to be specific.
Deal Fanatic
May 12, 2004
8346 posts
2505 upvotes
Ottawa
Same happened to me last winter...cable went from 1 neighbour accross my yard a few feet from my house to the next neighbour.

I called Rogers about 25 times and was told it would be done next week every time. When the snow melted some 3rd party wiring company appeared in my yard. I thanked them for coming over to bury the cable...to which they told me they were simply putting in a longer one which would still run accross my yard but about 20 feet further from the house. Gee thanks.

I got so fed up...during lawnmowing season I 'accidently' ran the mower over the wire every week. The next day a Rogers van would pull up on the street, lay a new cable accross the yard and leave.

After a few months they sent me a letter saying I would get billed every time I cut the cable going accross MY YARD!! I called the city and was told they have a right of passage on anyone's property and I was SOL.

I had them come mark the underground wires before I dug to install a fence. They gave me the written go ahead even though I still had a cable accross my yard. So obviously I won't build a fence around a cable, so once again I cut it so I could work on my yard. They threatened to bill me again...so I sent then the letter they sent me saying it was ok to dig. Repeat a few months later when I decided to build a deck.

Then suddenly this past October (After about 10 months) I come home and the cable has dissapeared. I check my yard to see if there's an digging marks and nothing.

Moral of the story:
-Your land for which you pay municipal taxes is not really your land...it belongs to a faceless corporation who could not care less about you.
-If it really is a Rogers cable...be VERY patient (and get yourself a good pair of wire-cutters in case you need access to your land ;) ).
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
25442 posts
2675 upvotes
Ottawa
Cas77 wrote:
Dec 9th, 2008 5:25 pm
Same happened to me last winter...cable went from 1 neighbour accross my yard a few feet from my house to the next neighbour.
.........blah blah
I got so fed up...during lawnmowing season I 'accidently' ran the mower over the wire every week. The next day a Rogers van would pull up on the street, lay a new cable accross the yard and leave.

After.............blah blah

........ ;) ).
It would be kinda tough to get the lawnmower up there. :(
Did ya look at the video?
Deal Fanatic
May 12, 2004
8346 posts
2505 upvotes
Ottawa
Pete_Coach wrote:
Dec 9th, 2008 5:37 pm
It would be kinda tough to get the lawnmower up there. :(
Did ya look at the video?
Yeah I did...maybe he has a hedge or bushes nearby that need trimming? It's a use your imagination drill...I'm just providing inspiration. :D
Deal Fanatic
Jun 30, 2007
7982 posts
452 upvotes
Toronto
HBP wrote:
Dec 9th, 2008 4:41 pm
Cut it down and see what happens :)

Then put up a sign, no-fly zone. See what Rogers does then.

ty I'll be lol'ing all night :cheesygri
Deal Addict
May 8, 2008
4025 posts
16 upvotes
Cas77 wrote:
Dec 9th, 2008 5:25 pm

I called Rogers about 25 times and was told it would be done next week every time. When the snow melted some 3rd party wiring company appeared in my yard. I thanked them for coming over to bury the cable...to which they told me they were simply putting in a longer one which would still run accross my yard but about 20 feet further from the house. Gee thanks.

After a few months they sent me a letter saying I would get billed every time I cut the cable going accross MY YARD!! I called the city and was told they have a right of passage on anyone's property and I was SOL.

I had them come mark the underground wires before I dug to install a fence. They gave me the written go ahead even though I still had a cable accross my yard. So obviously I won't build a fence around a cable, so once again I cut it so I could work on my yard. They threatened to bill me again...so I sent then the letter they sent me saying it was ok to dig. Repeat a few months later when I decided to build a deck.

Then suddenly this past October (After about 10 months) I come home and the cable has dissapeared. I check my yard to see if there's an digging marks and nothing.

Moral of the story:
-Your land for which you pay municipal taxes is not really your land...it belongs to a faceless corporation who could not care less about you.
-If it really is a Rogers cable...be VERY patient (and get yourself a good pair of wire-cutters in case you need access to your land ;) ).
a helicopter will be more like it :/
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3356 posts
60 upvotes
Ontario
Sue his ass...after all, your neighbours business is your business.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4184 posts
280 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
I could tell one sentence in that you were in Markham. This is typical up there for some reason. A lot of Rogers connections are sliced underground.

How high up is this cable? Would it get in the way of a tall vehicle driving into your driveway?

It is something they will eventually come to bury, but you will need to keep reminding them of that.
Audio - Video - Data - Security - This is what I do
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
1148 posts
73 upvotes
Brampton
I think this is just a temporary measure until the spring. Bell does the same thing with their phone lines, but you do need to remind them because they seem to 'forget'.

As ugly as these temporary cables are, they are necessary sometimes. If you find something happens underground to your cables, hopefully your neighbour will be understanding enough to not keep cutting your cables and interrupting your services until the crew arrives to bury the cables.
× < >