I need a multi-functional inkjet printer that can be refilled easily

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 10th, 2018 9:51 am
Aug 10, 2008
977 posts
88 upvotes

I need a multi-functional inkjet printer that can be refilled easily

Hi all,

Could you please recommend a multi-functional inkjet printer that is easy to refill with third party ink as I heard some printers out there have a chip built-in the cartridge that prevents from refilling. My budget is around 100-150$

Thanks
19 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3859 posts
2814 upvotes
Unfortunately it is difficult to make reliable recommendations about ink cartridge compatibility based on personal experience. The manufacturers update printer firmware all the time to invalidate third-party manufactured or refilled cartridges. You can often read in the review threads for ink cartridges that they worked with a particular printer up to a certain date, then they stopped working because the manufacturer did a firmware update. Your best bet is to disable firmware updates for your printer (if it has WiFi), then experiment with cartridges that seem to work based on the most current reviews. When you find a brand that works, stick with it, and don't do any firmware updates ever.

Honestly though it's hard to recommend ink-jet printers these days for anything but the lowest budget. The ink remains ridiculously overpriced, they waste most of it on head cleaning, in spite of which they clog up sooner or later.

If you're a light home user, a better strategy may be to buy a really cheap colour laser printer, use up the starter cartridge, and then replace the whole thing when it runs out. At least lasers don't waste ink on head cleaning, and they don't clog up if left sitting unused for too long.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2011
1888 posts
1579 upvotes
Québec
Don't do it, at long term it does not worth it. Go with a laser printer.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
3283 posts
1275 upvotes
elgros4 wrote: Don't do it, at long term it does not worth it. Go with a laser printer.
100% disagree...we have used 3rd party Costco Ink in our Hp 8600 and only replaced 1 or 2 cartridges over time. At $12/refill can't go wrong
Aug 10, 2008
977 posts
88 upvotes
I want to use the inkjet printer to print photos, mostly 4''x6'' family pictures. Correct me if I am wrong but I think inkjet printers give better photos printing vs laser. That is the reason why I want a inkjet printer. I already have a black & white laser printer for document printing.
Aug 23, 2017
299 posts
437 upvotes
pixma mx922. Buying refill cartridges on Amazon for approximately 12-15 $.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
5016 upvotes
Here 'n There
elgros4 wrote: Don't do it, at long term it does not worth it. Go with a laser printer.
+1. I use an Epson Color Laser Jet Pro M452dw and use inkowl.com toner (https://www.inkowl.com/?p=search&q=m452dw) to refill the cartridges for $54.95 for all 4 colour cartridges or $16.95 for the black refill, which is the one that needs refilling the most often. Colours are identical to a set of 4 genuine HP cartridges which cost over $425 for this printer. All you need to buy is the $7.95 tool to make the hole in the cartridge.

Buying a cheap ink jet printer is penny wise and pound foolish. It costs you multiples more than a laser over time.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
20776 posts
6618 upvotes
London
manteiv wrote: Hi all,

Could you please recommend a multi-functional inkjet printer that is easy to refill with third party ink as I heard some printers out there have a chip built-in the cartridge that prevents from refilling. My budget is around 100-150$

Thanks
I thought the big problem for third party ink was specifically photo printing ? I thought 3rd party the ink isn’t as fade resistant as OEM so the photos start fading after a while
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
3688 posts
1227 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
manteiv wrote: I heard some printers out there have a chip built-in the cartridge that prevents from refilling. My budget is around 100-150$

Thanks
That's every cartridge nowadays. This is to ensure quality consistency.
manteiv wrote: Correct me if I am wrong but I think inkjet printers give better photos printing vs laser. That is the reason why I want a inkjet printer. I already have a black & white laser printer for document printing.
What...? Laser is much MUCH sharper than inkjet. If you can't tell this between your laser black and white printer compared to your inkjet, I'd be very concerned.

For the record, ink cartridges are not designed to be refilled, so you won't find any brand openly advertising that.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
5016 upvotes
Here 'n There
redsfan wrote: 100% disagree...we have used 3rd party Costco Ink in our Hp 8600 and only replaced 1 or 2 cartridges over time. At $12/refill can't go wrong
Well obviously you aren't using it much!
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
3283 posts
1275 upvotes
eonibm wrote: Well obviously you aren't using it much!
wrong again...TOTAL REPLACEMENT, NOT REFILLED. Pay attention.
Aug 24, 2016
207 posts
233 upvotes
Montreal, Quebec
kgvaughan wrote: pixma mx922. Buying refill cartridges on Amazon for approximately 12-15 $.

I buy the full XL kit at shoppers+...29.99. No problems printing photos. Very happy with the Canon MX922 bought at 69.99(reg199.99). Comes on sale regularly at Staples and BB.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
5016 upvotes
Here 'n There
redsfan wrote: wrong again...TOTAL REPLACEMENT, NOT REFILLED. Pay attention.
The amount of toner used is based on usage. Whether you refill or replace is absolutely totally irrelevant. Sheesh!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6980 posts
3250 upvotes
If your plan is to use your inkjet to print photos, then be aware to get best results you need the original ink (not 3rd party refills that have inaccurate colored inks designed for dozens of printers), plus special inkjet paper from the manufacturer.

I think you'll find in the long run, years from now, that you wish you just bought a laser printer, color or not, and would have saved over a $100 plus headaches. This is the common route - buy inkjet and save money with color output, then find out ink is expensive so buy 3rd party, only to find it's messy to refill and colors aren't the same as OEM, then after multiple clogs and messy refill accidents buy a laser printer.

I suggest skip this learning cycle and jump straight to laser. The only reason for color inkjet is if you need the color in which case it is a valid reason to buy it, or buy a color laser printer which has come down in price a lot. The cartridges for colored laser printers comes in 3, each one is going to cost a lot to refill or buy brand new. So that you know what to expect
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
3283 posts
1275 upvotes
eonibm wrote: The amount of toner used is based on usage. Whether you refill or replace is absolutely totally irrelevant. Sheesh!
and I print out hundreds of pages per refill colour!! $12./shot gets me tons of pages. Sheesh! lol
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6980 posts
3250 upvotes
You use whatever the inkjet manufacturer suggest you use which would be their own line of photo paper, along with their expensive ink. Not all inkjets can print photos well - there are dedicated inkjets made especially for photos, and do less well for text.

There aren't many people who buy inkjets just for printing photos - most after the research decide to pay the professionals to do that and get a better result for equivalent cost. Don't be the guy who buys an inkjet for printing photos - that is for amateurs. You can do better giving that job to even Walmart.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
5016 upvotes
Here 'n There
redsfan wrote: and I print out hundreds of pages per refill colour!! $12./shot gets me tons of pages. Sheesh! lol
That's the problem. Only hundreds. You'll get thousands for the same cost with laser. Sheesh cubed!
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
3283 posts
1275 upvotes
eonibm wrote: That's the problem. Only hundreds. You'll get thousands for the same cost with laser. Sheesh cubed!
next time I will count from 1 and let you know how many i get (eyes rolling)...stop replying to me now you are too much

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)