Cell Phones

I need a new cell carrier, any ideas?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 5th, 2011 9:24 am
Sep 1, 2003
17 posts
7 upvotes

I need a new cell carrier, any ideas?

I need an opinion. I am trying to find a cell phone company that is worthy of not only my patronage but also my money. Both my wife and I are currently with Rogers and have been for quite a number of years. I know – why. As such they started to charge “off contract” fees. They actually removed all credits from my wife’s account, which is now almost doubled. And are charging me another $25.

So I need to find another company. Any ideas?
10 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 13, 2005
5147 posts
5846 upvotes
Montreal
You should at least tell us what kind of plan you need like voice, text message, data, etc... and what area are you living?
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2011
3885 posts
666 upvotes
Have a look at Koodo... No need to sign a contract and all plans are canada wide calling no long distance..Koodo is owned by Telus.. They use telus and bell towers
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4059 posts
452 upvotes
Toronto
If you choose wind or mobilicity, make sure you check the coverage maps. Also spotty reception and data is common. And good luck getting signal inside a building because its a hit or miss.
Sep 1, 2003
17 posts
7 upvotes
X360 wrote: You should at least tell us what kind of plan you need like voice, text message, data, etc... and what area are you living?

I am in the Greater Vancouver Area (GVA). I am looking for a voice and text plan.
My current plan, with Rogers, is :

250 minutes + evening and weekends after 1800hrs
Call forwarding/ call transfer
Rogers to Rogers calling
Unlimited text
Voice mail
Call display
and the usual access and 911 fee

Before the contract expired I was paying $36.62 (taxes included)
After the contract expired I am paying $70.22 (taxes included)

I need to get something soon, I refuse to give those B@####ds any more than I have to.

Thanks for the responses.
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2004
1651 posts
448 upvotes
rhinodriver wrote: I am in the Greater Vancouver Area (GVA). I am looking for a voice and text plan.

Rogers to Rogers calling
Unlimited text
Voice mail
Call display

I need to get something soon, I refuse to give those B@####ds any more than I have to.

Depending on which areas you frequent and how often you leave Vancouver, Mobilicity's Vancouver coverage has been very good for me for the past 4 months. The drawback is that you'll very likely have to buy a new phone for full price since there are no term contracts. If you work it out, it ends up being cheaper in the long run.

Coverage gaps do exist. Are you willing to pay the extra dollars per month for a Rogers/Telus/Bell plan so that you can call/text/data unlimited from those areas? For me, no, because I don't go to uncovered areas more than once every few months or less. Your opinion may differ if you live, work or shop in a dead zone... and that's a valid reason. Mobilicity roams on Rogers' 2G network for 20c/min, so you'll still be able to receive/make calls, just not unlimited.
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2011
3885 posts
666 upvotes
Go with Koodo if you live in Van....

City Koodo Unlimited
Monthly Fee $35
Unlimited Local Calling
Unlimited Messaging (Text and Picture)
Unlimited Local Family Calling
NO ZONES
With koodo you dont have to worry about the dead spots that wind or mobi has... You get what you pay for with the new providers...
Deal Fanatic
May 13, 2005
5147 posts
5846 upvotes
Montreal
rhinodriver wrote: I am in the Greater Vancouver Area (GVA). I am looking for a voice and text plan.

Rogers to Rogers calling
Unlimited text
Voice mail
Call display

With this plan, if you call Rogers and say cancel, probably Rogers retention will give you credits and you probably will pay the similar price $36. However, you might have to sign another 3 years contract.

If you only need voice + text, live in Vancouver Chatr zone. You can use your existing Rogers phone with Chatr. Chatr use Rogers network, so you will have the same reception as before.

You might save another $10/month for the next six months if use auto pay feature.

http://www.chatrwireless.com/web/chatr. ... PlanBrowse
Sep 27, 2003
11122 posts
3367 upvotes
Newmarket
If anyone requires a national carrier / coverage (aka, not the new guys), PM me. I have some aggressive offerings with Bell that I may be able to assist with!
RFD Forums Moderator

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)