• Oct 12th, 2016 8:30 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11417 posts
2392 upvotes
Montreal

I need snow boots + 2 piece ski suit: I want to avoid shopping around

This is more of a "man needs physical labor clothes" advice request.

I'm willing to go up to $150 USD for the boots and maybe $200 for the ski suit.

I live in Montreal, so we get a ton of snow, slush and salt. I already own leather boots for "urban" winter, but I also need long snow boots for the worst part of winter, and for going to play with my kids in deep snow, and passing the snow blower around the driveway.

Criteria for boots:
- Not too thick soles. I don't like the feeling of thick soles, especially if I drive my car.
- Grippy soles that remain grippy at 0 fahrenheit (-18 celsius)
- Must be tied by laces (No velcro, no zipper)
- The last 3-4 rows for the laces are made of open hooks instead of holes.
- Durable yet flexible back so that it does not crack after years of being squished when I slip in my foot while standing.
- Warm for the toes. I always have cold toes.

I need a 2 piece ski suit, but it doesn't need to be as rugged as the boots. That ski suit will only be worn when I go play with my kids, pass the snow blower, or to go to work on the worst snow days.

Criteria for the ski suit:

- High collar to keep my neck warm without the need for a neck warmer.
- No hoodie, I hate hoodies
- Not too exagerated swish-swish noise when walking with the snow pants.
- No through-hole buttons. I prefer zippers and push-in buttons for such a coat.
- No need to be the warmest coat of all, I prefer to wear layers underneath.
- Reflector patches or something bright color to be visible at night.
7 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11805 posts
1702 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Why don't u search the internet first?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11417 posts
2392 upvotes
Montreal
Becks wrote:
Oct 6th, 2016 1:34 pm
Why don't u search the internet first?
I'm browsing around, and I'm asking around (not just here).

More opinions = more chances of finding the right choice

Googling for a product recommendation is hit&miss.
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
6718 posts
1156 upvotes
Try Mark's Warehouse basically a Canadian Tire's clothing division, they have good prices for boots and stuff when they are on special.
https://www.marks.com
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11417 posts
2392 upvotes
Montreal
EdT586 wrote:
Oct 6th, 2016 7:37 pm
Try Mark's Warehouse basically a Canadian Tire's clothing division, they have good prices for boots and stuff when they are on special.
Are those Mark's Warehouse boots first valued for their style and function? or their durability? Canadian Tire isn't exactly the store where I buy durable things, but then again they do own Altitude where good stuff can be bought.

I'll check it out for the ski suit, though I settled on the Columbia Bugaboot Plus III Omni for the boots. I can get them from a local sport store for around $140, tax in.
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
6718 posts
1156 upvotes
alkizmo wrote:
Oct 11th, 2016 9:18 am
EdT586 wrote:
Oct 6th, 2016 7:37 pm
Are those Mark's Warehouse boots first valued for their style and function? or their durability? Canadian Tire isn't exactly the store where I buy durable things, but then again they do own Altitude where good stuff can be bought.

I'll check it out for the ski suit, though I settled on the Columbia Bugaboot Plus III Omni for the boots. I can get them from a local sport store for around $140, tax in.
Mark's has clothing for both the fashion and the work side of things. I find them both good quality when their stuff is on special.
If it is Columbia boots then it is more fashion than work tough, for me any work boots worth it's weight needs to have steel toes.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2009
3829 posts
616 upvotes
Aurora
Fwiw, I love my tall Bogs. I wear them barefoot to snow plow my driveway, not even a hint of cold. Aesthetics aside (though I don't mind the look at all), just awesome.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky