Personal Finance

I need a void cheque for my workplace... I have a TD chequing account.

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 14th, 2010 10:04 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2010
3124 posts
90 upvotes

I need a void cheque for my workplace... I have a TD chequing account.

I was requested to give a void cheque from work agency...I received 4 of them when I signed up for a chequing account with TD bank.

Is there a fee to get more void cheques? Do I get them instantly or have to wait?
6 replies
Nov 24, 2007
440 posts
25 upvotes
You could just take a standard cheque and write VOID on it if you have a pack of cheques.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
6665 posts
348 upvotes
Toronto
Joshray wrote:
Sep 14th, 2010 7:46 pm
I was requested to give a void cheque from work agency...I received 4 of them when I signed up for a chequing account with TD bank.

Is there a fee to get more void cheques? Do I get them instantly or have to wait?

There is no such thing as a pre-voided cheque. You have cheques, you write VOID on them, you have a VOID cheque.

TD will not print cheques on demand.

Your employer doesn't really need a void cheque to begin with. They just want to see the MICR encoded line at the bottom for bank number/transit/account. If you know which is which (this isn't rocket science) you can just give them that info or have TD print you up a direct deposit slip thing. I forget what they call it exactly.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2009
2573 posts
123 upvotes
You don't need a void cheque. Go in to the bank and tell them that your employer is asking for your banking information so that they can do direct deposit. TD will print you out a sheet and you can then give that sheet in to your employer and that's that.

Edit: Well played Drew. :D
Jesus saves, I spend
Jul 29, 2009
895 posts
14 upvotes
Yup .. they just think you'll screw it up if you write the numbers down yourself.

Now if you had one of ING's new chequing accounts, you could just log in and print yourself a nice void cheque from the website. ;)
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2006
5148 posts
97 upvotes
YYC27 wrote:
Sep 14th, 2010 8:50 pm
Yup .. they just think you'll screw it up if you write the numbers down yourself.

Now if you had one of ING's new chequing accounts, you could just log in and print yourself a nice void cheque from the website. ;)

Photocopy the cheque and write VOID on it.
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2005
4758 posts
404 upvotes
Drew_W wrote:
Sep 14th, 2010 8:11 pm
There is no such thing as a pre-voided cheque. You have cheques, you write VOID on them, you have a VOID cheque.

TD will not print cheques on demand.

Your employer doesn't really need a void cheque to begin with. They just want to see the MICR encoded line at the bottom for bank number/transit/account. If you know which is which (this isn't rocket science) you can just give them that info or have TD print you up a direct deposit slip thing. I forget what they call it exactly.

It pretty much is called a Direct Deposit Form ;) So ya just ask for that, no charge.

The bank can stamp the form to verify it was done by the branch.
× < >