Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 16, 2005
2582 posts
71 upvotes

#$#%$ I ran over a nail!

What an expensive nail this is going to be...
This morning I found a fat nail stuck in my tire's trend/sidewall area...Luckily air did not release and I am still able to drive the car around..
But took it into a tire store, and the spot where the nail is at, can't repair the tire.....and eventually the air will be released.

So I am looking around for some deals on a Toyo Proxies R28 W-rated 205/40/17....
went to the mazda dealer, and they want $285 + tax for that 1 tire...
went to some independent tire stores...and the best quote so far is $235 + tax..
Can't find any online stores that carry that particular model, as it was an original equipment made just for that car...(&^*^ MAZDA always does that!)
18 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 28, 2005
6323 posts
40 upvotes
hmm try another tire place?
- Private Investigator...contact me for your surveillance needs.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2005
1051 posts
16 upvotes
What mazda car would come with such a small sidewall tire? Mazda3? I just find it surprising that they would put such a small sidewall on it. Usually it would be a radius of at least 50. But meh i dunno.
Banned
Apr 15, 2006
4572 posts
121 upvotes
Chatham
Its not good to replace just one tire.

Get a pair and keep the other one as spare if this same incident happens.

If you get a pair there is no need to get same brand/model.

Call Tire23, tell him you're from TAC and ask for price quote. They've got best prices in town

www.tires23.com
Banned
Apr 15, 2006
4572 posts
121 upvotes
Chatham
RBK wrote:What mazda car would come with such a small sidewall tire? Mazda3? I just find it surprising that they would put such a small sidewall on it. Usually it would be a radius of at least 50. But meh i dunno.
Newer cars now comes with low profile for sports look and higher cornering speed
Deal Fanatic
Oct 3, 2004
5441 posts
107 upvotes
they can't fix the tire?
that's odd

i had a nail in the tire once and went to some chinese place to get it fixed. cost me only 5 bucks.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 16, 2005
2582 posts
71 upvotes
Spray wrote: hmm try another tire place?.
The problem is not the stores....the problem is with Mazda...they put those stupid odd sizes of tires into their car as OE...and to replace them, its hard to find many stores that carry that particular OE tires.
RBK wrote:What mazda car would come with such a small sidewall tire? Mazda3? I just find it surprising that they would put such a small sidewall on it. Usually it would be a radius of at least 50. But meh i dunno.
The 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

jetway1212 wrote:Its not good to replace just one tire.
Get a pair and keep the other one as spare if this same incident happens.

If you get a pair there is no need to get same brand/model.

Call Tire23, tell him you're from TAC and ask for price quote. They've got best prices in town

www.tires23.com
I know, but those tires are only 1 year old...if they were older, I would've switch all 4 tires to something besides those overpriced Toyos...
Tire23 doesn't carry the Toyo R28s....
and I don't like having 2 different brands/models of tires on a car..
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
20231 posts
1497 upvotes
champ91 wrote:they can't fix the tire?
that's odd

i had a nail in the tire once and went to some chinese place to get it fixed. cost me only 5 bucks.
You cant fix a hole in the side.
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2005
1437 posts
64 upvotes
Calgary
champ91 wrote:they can't fix the tire?
that's odd

:O

are you sure they actually fixed the tire? how long ago was this?
generally tires that get punctured on the sidewall, especially low-profile tires, either cannot be repaired or cost a LOT to repair.

I just finished getting a puncture repaired on my car, but luckily it was on the face of the tire and it was cheap to repair... even tho, THAT was $29.99 to fix.

your place prob just filled it with that puncture-foam stuff and didnt even bother patching it.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2005
3290 posts
123 upvotes
Thornhill
Nuprapture wrote::O

are you sure they actually fixed the tire? how long ago was this?
generally tires that get punctured on the sidewall, especially low-profile tires, either cannot be repaired or cost a LOT to repair.

I just finished getting a puncture repaired on my car, but luckily it was on the face of the tire and it was cheap to repair... even tho, THAT was $29.99 to fix.

your place prob just filled it with that puncture-foam stuff and didnt even bother patching it.

gotta love Costco, free flat repair with purchase of tires from them :P

try active green and ross, their not bad...

http://www.activegreenandross.com/pdf/flyer_june06.pdf

Also try
Deal Fanatic
Jan 13, 2005
7758 posts
151 upvotes
well your lucky you found. last summer i had a nail in my tire and i didnt find out until i was on the 404 going about 140
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2005
3805 posts
4 upvotes
nano wrote:well your lucky you found. last summer i had a nail in my tire and i didnt find out until i was on the 404 going about 140
ouch :!:
"So, what happens when I use Monster cable with Bose speakers? Do two of them cause the multiplied composite effect, creating a sort of fiscal black hole, in which money disappears never to be seen again?"
Banned
Feb 11, 2006
1976 posts
This reminds me of the parking lot dings thread - welcome to the real world.
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and, war is the terrorism of the rich" -- Peter Ustinov
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2004
2835 posts
312 upvotes
GTEH!
commie wrote:The problem is not the stores....the problem is with Mazda...they put those stupid odd sizes of tires into their car as OE...and to replace them, its hard to find many stores that carry that particular OE tires.

I know, but those tires are only 1 year old...if they were older, I would've switch all 4 tires to something besides those overpriced Toyos...
Tire23 doesn't carry the Toyo R28s....
and I don't like having 2 different brands/models of tires on a car..
Correct me if I read your thread wrong.

If the tires are OEM and are only 1 year old, doesn't Mazda offer a road hazard warranty on tires? If they do they would offer to replace the tire on a pro-rated basis of what treadwear is left on the original tire.
i.e. 50% treadwear left - Mazda would give you 50% credit towards purchase of new tire.

I know Costco and my Honda dealer offers this coverage.

Good luck.
😎
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
554 upvotes
Webhead wrote:Correct me if I read your thread wrong.

If the tires are OEM and are only 1 year old, doesn't Mazda offer a road hazard warranty on tires? If they do they would offer to replace the tire on a pro-rated basis of what treadwear is left on the original tire.
i.e. 50% treadwear left - Mazda would give you 50% credit towards purchase of new tire.

I know Costco and my Honda dealer offers this coverage.

Good luck.
prorated is garbage. since it's on the MSRP of the tire that the price is prorated at. ;)
× < >