• May 1st, 2014 6:19 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 29, 2012
34 posts
3 upvotes
WINNIPEG

I really don't want to work a job but I have too

Hey, i'm 25. I've ran 2 businesses already (1 hot dog cart and one roofing business) and they failed to make me money and ran me in debt each time. My first one was operated in a small city that was very bad for a hot dog cart. I moved to edmonton, canada to start a roofing biz here with a child hood friend. I supplied the tools/truck and he was the roofer. Money and friends don't work i found out and we splited so we would stay friends.

Now i'm broke and the thing thats keeping me alive is my tax return. I still have my dump truck in which i'm going to start picking up junk/trash to keep myself self employed, but it needs repairs and won't be operational for a few more weeks. I'm also starting to import products in china to resell them here locally and through the internet.

I feel so crappy for having to start working for someone again, i really hate working time for dollars. I think i'm sorta depressed as i stay up all nights and sleep all day now, mean while my bills are coming to eat me alive lol, although i'm pretty good at keeping my emotions in line.

So the question is, i have no choice to work and find a job, but what job? I always read that since your spending 8 hours a day on a job, it should at least teach you something (that means warehouse work is out?). I have no schooling (except for high school) and basically have experience with everything but not a master. I can find an easy job (say property maintence where i just pick up trash around properties) or i can find work as a painter (which is a trade i wouldn't mind working). Ive been hitting my head against the wall over this for the past month, meanwhile brain storming ways to make money for myself
18 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
6948 posts
2695 upvotes
CN is hiring like crazy right now. Being on call sucks but you're looking at $100k+ per year. And a $60k pension.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18946 posts
10528 upvotes
Why not work in northern alberta until you can save enough of a nest-egg to start your own business? One advantage would be that many people end up with their own business and make quite a bit of money up there with skills that transfer (bobcat operator, etc).
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2004
3236 posts
1612 upvotes
Some of the best career advice that's come around these days from Mike Rowe, the host of Dirty Jobs: http://chicksontheright.com/posts/item/ ... dvice-ever

Unless you're planning on a long term plan (usually including spending precision resources on education of some sort), don't over think it and just try whatever comes your way. You'd be surprised how sometimes serendipity comes into play and you end up in a field of work/ business that you never thought you would be in or even knew existed.

Also, there's nothing wrong with working for somebody if they pay you well and value your work. Entrepreneurship is great and has lots or pros, but it also has a lot of cons.

Don't give up easily, but eventually, you may have to see that entrepreneurship may not be for you either. Right now, you're young and can take the risk and live off your tax return (I'm going to assume you probably live at home if that is enough for you to live on), but soon you'll probably have a mortgage, a partner, kids, etc. and then financial stability is more important than freedom to do what you want. Though...this doesn't mean you can't try again later in life when you're more financially secure or if your partner's income is enough to sustain the family.

Keep your head up and just see what comes your way...
Dec 6, 2013
15 posts
1 upvote
Toronto, ON
If you don't want to do any job, then you can do your own business. so before starting think about the platform or business which you have to do.
Jan 21, 2011
126 posts
16 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
People will be working their yards soon. How about sending out flyers for fertilizer delivery. Very little upfront cost, use existing equipment. Should be easy to make a few calls and set something up with a yard. Most importantly, the need for this service is now, the market is there, and its a great chance to make a quick buck and takes some financial stress off of you.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
6948 posts
2695 upvotes
ryndrew wrote: If you don't want to do any job, then you can do your own business. so before starting think about the platform or business which you have to do.
That really offered a lot...
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2005
8018 posts
1780 upvotes
Toronto
Construction? Are you willing to relocate?
Jan 6, 2009
82 posts
7 upvotes
Fort McMurray
A lot of people fail trying to run a business and the odds are stacked against you. NOW on the bright side, you are still young enough to make a success business, and if you really want to run your own business in the future, then consider doing an apprenticeship in plumbing, or some other trade, where in a few years you can run your own business.
jacno77 wrote: Hey, i'm 25. I've ran 2 businesses already (1 hot dog cart and one roofing business) and they failed to make me money and ran me in debt each time. My first one was operated in a small city that was very bad for a hot dog cart. I moved to edmonton, canada to start a roofing biz here with a child hood friend. I supplied the tools/truck and he was the roofer. Money and friends don't work i found out and we splited so we would stay friends.

Now i'm broke and the thing thats keeping me alive is my tax return. I still have my dump truck in which i'm going to start picking up junk/trash to keep myself self employed, but it needs repairs and won't be operational for a few more weeks. I'm also starting to import products in china to resell them here locally and through the internet.

I feel so crappy for having to start working for someone again, i really hate working time for dollars. I think i'm sorta depressed as i stay up all nights and sleep all day now, mean while my bills are coming to eat me alive lol, although i'm pretty good at keeping my emotions in line.

So the question is, i have no choice to work and find a job, but what job? I always read that since your spending 8 hours a day on a job, it should at least teach you something (that means warehouse work is out?). I have no schooling (except for high school) and basically have experience with everything but not a master. I can find an easy job (say property maintence where i just pick up trash around properties) or i can find work as a painter (which is a trade i wouldn't mind working). Ive been hitting my head against the wall over this for the past month, meanwhile brain storming ways to make money for myself
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
7368 posts
4672 upvotes
Between Countries
Hate to sound harsh but I feel you're starting off with a bad attitude towards your career options. You want to work for yourself but have two failed businesses. Now you're approaching the employee world feeling "crappy" and "hate working time for dollars". With that attitude, ANY job you land will suck big time. First, you have to build a more positive outlook. Then you look for something that interests you.
Aug 29, 2012
34 posts
3 upvotes
WINNIPEG
CensoredByRFD wrote: Some of the best career advice that's come around these days from Mike Rowe, the host of Dirty Jobs: http://chicksontheright.com/posts/item/ ... dvice-ever

Unless you're planning on a long term plan (usually including spending precision resources on education of some sort), don't over think it and just try whatever comes your way. You'd be surprised how sometimes serendipity comes into play and you end up in a field of work/ business that you never thought you would be in or even knew existed.

Also, there's nothing wrong with working for somebody if they pay you well and value your work. Entrepreneurship is great and has lots or pros, but it also has a lot of cons.

Don't give up easily, but eventually, you may have to see that entrepreneurship may not be for you either. Right now, you're young and can take the risk and live off your tax return (I'm going to assume you probably live at home if that is enough for you to live on), but soon you'll probably have a mortgage, a partner, kids, etc. and then financial stability is more important than freedom to do what you want. Though...this doesn't mean you can't try again later in life when you're more financially secure or if your partner's income is enough to sustain the family.

Keep your head up and just see what comes your way...
Thanks alot, one of the best pieces of advice i've heard in along time. Just have to add i live alone lol, parents are back in manitoba

@Jazzario- I'm not to sure about fertilizer but I will take a quick look into it, thanks
@TrixR4kids- I know i'm going to sound selfish and picky, but no I don't want to relocate because the businesses I plan to start again need me to be in a city, Like edmonton. I need a postal office (for importing) and I'm going to remove junk so the city would be the best place.
@trevork/deeper-Thats probably the smartest routes to go, but i'm just to impatient/stubborn.

Thanks guys, prob take censoredbyrfd advice right away and get a regular job and stop being so picky. I just got to fix my days and nights again, which is the most/biggest pain in the ***** and has to be a constant pattern in my life to fix
Aug 29, 2012
34 posts
3 upvotes
WINNIPEG
DiceMan wrote: Hate to sound harsh but I feel you're starting off with a bad attitude towards your career options. You want to work for yourself but have two failed businesses. Now you're approaching the employee world feeling "crappy" and "hate working time for dollars". With that attitude, ANY job you land will suck big time. First, you have to build a more positive outlook. Then you look for something that interests you.
lol i Know, no don't worry no offense taken. I remember working in the winter roofing, it was -30 and really terrible/slow. My friends fuel pump broke down on the road and we had to fix it right by the house we were shingling. After all that I still loved working, because knowing the harder i worked the more money i'd make. And with the hot dog cart, i bought the biggest piece of ***** cart (because it was prob on the cheap side) where it was a push cart (most carts are now trailer kind, where you can easily attach a cart to ur car and go). The push cart weight alot and i had to push it on my van (which was a rusty, 1980 rapist vans!) and i chipped part of my tooth because i pushed so hard, but eventually got smart and installed a cheap wench to help me. I believe my attitude is fine, but I have this belief that if i'm working for someone, its like a prison for 8 hours, where i'm constintally checking my watch and feeling like a machine at the end of the day.
Not trying to sound like i'm a hard worker and bragging, i'm actually very lazy and i make alot of stupid mistakes. Oh and for the 2 failed businesses, i'm in debt big time, but my goal is to create 10 business, so that one of them is bound to make me money
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2004
3236 posts
1612 upvotes
Hey, good luck! If i hadn't already (luckily) found my calling (rather serendipitously, as I "fell" into my field when I thought I'd just give something a try), I would definitely take Mike Rowe's advice seriously as well.

And if you're lviing alone and living off your tax return, then you better hurry!

If you like the thought of working harder meaning making more money, then make sure you get a job that's not salary based and is hourly based. Or better yet, something commission based.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
6651 posts
995 upvotes
GTA
baz5 wrote: CN is hiring like crazy right now. Being on call sucks but you're looking at $100k+ per year. And a $60k pension.
CN? Just drive trains or something? Apply on the website?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18946 posts
10528 upvotes
jacno77 wrote: @trevork/deeper-Thats probably the smartest routes to go, but i'm just to impatient/stubborn.
While I really do not think you should be jumping into all these businesses, the absolute quickest way to get enough money to start up your own businesses (and give yourself some money until they become profitable) is to work in a labour intensive job in the resource sector. You get all the hours you could possibly want and able to work in an area that will allow you to focus on work (if you can keep your mind from wandering), and potentially open up your eyes to some very lucrative business opportunities (as a contractor there).

It seems like if you want the money now, that's the best option. Especially if you are impatient and just want it now. I really do not know anywhere else where someone with your skillset could make that kind of money in that period of time.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
6948 posts
2695 upvotes
greg123 wrote: CN? Just drive trains or something? Apply on the website?
Yep. Not sure what's going on in Toronto, but Winnipeg is hiring a ton as is Saskatoon/Regina. Heard Saskatchewan needs about 150.
You do like six months training at $20/hour, then you're on full conductor pay.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2808 posts
940 upvotes
Newmarket
jacno77 wrote: So the question is, i have no choice to work and find a job, but what job? I always read that since your spending 8 hours a day on a job, it should at least teach you something (that means warehouse work is out?). I have no schooling (except for high school) and basically have experience with everything but not a master. I can find an easy job (say property maintence where i just pick up trash around properties) or i can find work as a painter (which is a trade i wouldn't mind working). Ive been hitting my head against the wall over this for the past month, meanwhile brain storming ways to make money for myself
If you want to learn something I suggest the following:

1) find a job you want that is in the business you want to be in, while you are earning some money it will also teach you how to run it (or how not to run, or how to run it better) and it you will learn from ground up the tasks required.
2) go back to school, get a trade diploma, master in trades and so on, work for others for few years making good money since the trades are hot, and then work for yourself and make even more money.
May 28, 2013
68 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
You seem to have the drive to be a small business owner, but fail because (based on what you've said) you don't seem to do any proper preparation or research before jumping in. A hot dog cart being a waste of money would have been something basic research would have revealed for instance. If you have any more good ideas for a business, I'd say try it again, but use a business plan to force you to do the proper ground work this time. Work for someone else in the meanwhile, and the knowledge being your own boss again is around the corner should pull you through.
Sep 2, 2013
152 posts
18 upvotes
Sell your stuff on eBay to pay the bills in the meantime while you are looking for work. Don't worry about what job you get, you won't be there for long anyways. When you get home after work, work on your business instead of watching TV. When your business starts to gain momentum, quit your job and work the business full time.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)