Page 1 of 2

I really want to go to Schulich!

Posted: Jan 22nd, 2013 4:47 pm
by stressedsenior
Hey! I would really like to be a part of Schulich's BBA program this year although, I'm extremely worried that I might not make it.

The biggest issue that I have right now is Advanced Functions. I'm getting a mark in the seventies, although I'm repeating it again in private school. Now I know that all of my other marks really wouldn't be a problem and also that Schulich does look at the higher mark of a repeated course. I'm aiming to get a 93.5 - 94% avg. (top six courses) WITH the private school mark. Do you think that there is a possibility of it working out?

I'm performing so poorly because we have completely different standards of teachers at our school and I, unfortunately ended up with the hardest one. Also because I was working this semester due to some problems. Oh, and if it makes any difference at all, my class average is ranging from high fifties to low sixties.

I also emailed Schulich and they replied back saying that they will accept the mark from the private school as long as its accredited by the Ministry of Education, which it is!

But i'm just really really really stressed about this! :(

Re: I really want to go to Schulich!

Posted: Jan 23rd, 2013 8:16 am
by Kasakato
stressedsenior wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2013 4:47 pm
Hey! I would really like to be a part of Schulich's BBA program this year although, I'm extremely worried that I might not make it.

The biggest issue that I have right now is Advanced Functions. I'm getting a mark in the seventies, although I'm repeating it again in private school. Now I know that all of my other marks really wouldn't be a problem and also that Schulich does look at the higher mark of a repeated course. I'm aiming to get a 93.5 - 94% avg. (top six courses) WITH the private school mark. Do you think that there is a possibility of it working out?

I'm performing so poorly because we have completely different standards of teachers at our school and I, unfortunately ended up with the hardest one. Also because I was working this semester due to some problems. Oh, and if it makes any difference at all, my class average is ranging from high fifties to low sixties.

I also emailed Schulich and they replied back saying that they will accept the mark from the private school as long as its accredited by the Ministry of Education, which it is!

Is taking such a shortcut really in your best interests?

Posted: Jan 23rd, 2013 9:17 am
by aricebox
Kasakato wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 8:16 am

When I was in first year ('08), I know there were tons of people that took private school classes to boost their averages.
I don't think you have much to worry about if your top 6 is 93-94. What you do have to worry about is your EC's and essays. If i recall correctly I had to provide a list of my EC's along with the supplementary form (three essay questions). Hasn't applications for Fall 2013 already closed?

Posted: Jan 23rd, 2013 10:05 am
by sarah11918
In the double cohort year, when the last OAC class was graduating with the first Gr. 12 class and Shulich was swamped with applications, I was told by someone in admissions at York that the cut off for even looking at an application was 92%. So in a regular admissions year, 93-94% will almost certainly be a high enough top six average to get your application looked at. But the rest of the application is very important for the final decision.

Posted: Jan 23rd, 2013 10:09 am
by stressedsenior
Kasakato wrote:
Thankyou for replying! It definitely isn't and I never thought that I would be doing this but my teacher is actually extremely difficult and it's not like I don't understand the concepts because I know I do! And because I was working this semester as well, It really did have an impact on my mark. And even though, Math isn't my favourite I know that I did try my best.

Posted: Jan 23rd, 2013 10:16 am
by stressedsenior
aricebox wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 9:17 am
When I was in first year ('08), I know there were tons of people that took private school classes to boost their averages.
I don't think you have much to worry about if your top 6 is 93-94. What you do have to worry about is your EC's and essays. If i recall correctly I had to provide a list of my EC's along with the supplementary form (three essay questions). Hasn't applications for Fall 2013 already closed?
Thank you for replying! Oh, yes the applications have closed but our supplementary form is due on 6th Feb. So do you really think that there is a possibility that they might not look at my repeated mark from the private school? And as for the EC's I was actually a part of Student Council last year, I've worked for two call centres, I've volunteered at a Hospital, I've been tutoring for quite a while as well. There are also other things that aren't as 'big of a deal' I think, but do you think that I should still add them? (fund raised money for feeding young minds, volunteered at food banks/events at school. been a part of loads of clubs too but no exec. positions)

Posted: Jan 23rd, 2013 10:21 am
by stressedsenior
sarah11918 wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 10:05 am
In the double cohort year, when the last OAC class was graduating with the first Gr. 12 class and Shulich was swamped with applications, I was told by someone in admissions at York that the cut off for even looking at an application was 92%. So in a regular admissions year, 93-94% will almost certainly be a high enough top six average to get your application looked at. But the rest of the application is very important for the final decision.
Thankyou for replying! I have a question though, when you say that you need to have a 92 just for them to look at, do you mean the avg. of top six courses or all the courses that have been done in the first semester? Because that seems a little weird to me, because I only have three courses this semester and I dont think that Im doing amazing on them but I do know that my average of all six courses will definitely be from 93-94 like I said before.

Posted: Jan 23rd, 2013 11:11 am
by niroopg
Kasakato wrote:
Is not getting into your desired program really in your best interests?

This is the way the world works.

Posted: Jan 23rd, 2013 12:37 pm
by Kasakato
niroopg wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 11:11 am
Is not getting into your desired program really in your best interests?

This is the way the world works.
There is value in doing things without taking shortcuts. Personally, values > school. To each is their own.

Posted: Jan 23rd, 2013 1:46 pm
by UTScPhilosophy
Kasakato wrote:
Kasakato wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 12:37 pm
There is value in doing things without taking shortcuts. Personally, values > school. To each is their own.
Why take the long way when you are take a shortcut?

There is value for you to do things without taking shortcuts. Don't mistaken the claim that there is some objective value in not taking 'shortcuts' - whatever they may be - with your own prejudice for doing things a certain way.

Posted: Jan 23rd, 2013 7:44 pm
by sarah11918
stressedsenior wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 10:21 am
when you say that you need to have a 92 just for them to look at, do you mean the avg. of top six courses or all the courses that have been done in the first semester?
Unless things have changed recently, universities will use a combination of the final marks of the completed courses and the interim marks of the courses you're currently taking. To a lesser extent, they may take a peek at your Gr. 11 marks, too, if they're considering offering you early/unconditional admission. Although it's very common for high schools to be semestered now, not all of them are (and certainly in the past, unsemestered high schools were very common). The universities typically receive an updated set of marks around March, so although your 2nd semester courses won't be finalized, you would still have a current grade covering what you've done up to that point (even if it's not very much).

Posted: Jan 23rd, 2013 8:35 pm
by stressedsenior
sarah11918 wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 7:44 pm
Unless things have changed recently, universities will use a combination of the final marks of the completed courses and the interim marks of the courses you're currently taking. To a lesser extent, they may take a peek at your Gr. 11 marks, too, if they're considering offering you early/unconditional admission. Although it's very common for high schools to be semestered now, not all of them are (and certainly in the past, unsemestered high schools were very common). The universities typically receive an updated set of marks around March, so although your 2nd semester courses won't be finalized, you would still have a current grade covering what you've done up to that point (even if it's not very much).
Alright, thankyou!

Posted: Jan 23rd, 2013 10:17 pm
by Ryougo
To the OP, be wary of anyone's advice on a message including my own. You'll get a lot of pseudo intellectualism from a lot of kids still in school who think they know how the whole world works.

That being said, whether you redo this credit or not in private school is not going to mean much in the grand scheme of things. What I advise you to do is to have a deep look at yourself and why you didn't do as well in functions as you wanted to; you say your teacher is hard, maybe he is maybe he isn't, he's going to be the first of many hard things in your life you can't control. As you get older and move on in the world you're going to get fewer and fewer do overs like this.

So work hard, change the things you can control and accept the things you can't change. You'll find yourself a lot less stressed about how it'll all turn out.

Posted: Jan 24th, 2013 12:49 am
by jungeon
stressedsenior wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2013 4:47 pm

Don't worry about it, but be careful what you wish for, ask yourself will you be better off at york econ with an A average for 4 years of a B average at schulich. IMO, most people be better off with all As with an econ degree than a B from schulich. If you get A in schulich you will work so hard for it, you won't have much time for other things. With that same effort you could probably finish in the top 1% of your class anywhere normal and that is guaranteed to get you an interview anywhere.

Op, given that you are getting 93-94 average in public system I think you are fine. You may run into some trouble when you have to take finance 1 and statistics (1,2 &3) and possibly more advanced ecnomics, at least in my day those were the hardest math oriented courses I recall right now.

People are telling you don't take short cuts, but how many people are going entirely to private schools and buying their marks, I don't know the exact number but all the international students I met there seemed to fall into this category. stay away from ibba and you should be fine. The kids in the program are smart but some of them also bought their grades or bought the dean and didn't earn those grades.

The only word of caution I'd say is be careful what you wish for, if you go to an easier program, where the admission average is say 70 instead of 90,your competition will be very low, you can finish in the top of your program with the far less effort you will use to get a B- at schulich. ALL my friends got straight A's in york except in language even when they were solid b- schulich students and even the ones who failed out or dropped out the program wenton to get solid As at york. Finishing with many A+ or an A- average will put you in a far better position. What it takes to get solid As at schulich will probably get you the president's award at York u econ. You will still get the same interviews if you apply, you can get into better grad schools. Schulich will give you access to certain resources like interview prep, job postings, informational interviews and bringing in companies. But if you do these things on your own it will come across better. In 2007 there was a clear advantage to going to schulich or an ivey, but honestly, now that we've all graduated, I don't see that advantage anymore, and I doubt the economy is ever going to return to 2006 levels.

Posted: Jan 24th, 2013 10:58 am
by stressedsenior
Ryougo wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 10:17 pm
To the OP, be wary of anyone's advice on a message including my own. You'll get a lot of pseudo intellectualism from a lot of kids still in school who think they know how the whole world works.

That being said, whether you redo this credit or not in private school is not going to mean much in the grand scheme of things. What I advise you to do is to have a deep look at yourself and why you didn't do as well in functions as you wanted to; you say your teacher is hard, maybe he is maybe he isn't, he's going to be the first of many hard things in your life you can't control. As you get older and move on in the world you're going to get fewer and fewer do overs like this.

So work hard, change the things you can control and accept the things you can't change. You'll find yourself a lot less stressed about how it'll all turn out.
Thankyou for replying! She is actually very hard because I'm not the only person who's having trouble but I do see your point and I do think that I haven't been looking at the 'big picture' here, I've just always really wanted to go to Schulich which is why I feel like I'm so caught up about getting there that I dont think about anything else. Thankyou for making me realize that I should keep other things in mind too! (: