• Last Updated:
  • Nov 25th, 2008 9:40 am
Tags:
None
Mar 2, 2004
625 posts
117 upvotes
Mississauga
I've received two of those emails, one from last week. I don't know what to do at the moment, cause I don't want my account to be blacklisted or anything :(
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3884 posts
1077 upvotes
Hamilton
let me guess, you were downloading torrents?

torrents let anyone and their mother download **** off the net, and easily lets ISP's see what their doing. Once the laws get alittle more strict in Canada, you'll see alot of people getting in ****
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22691 posts
3682 upvotes
canadiancynosure wrote: My understanding is that it is illegal in Canada to record IP addresses. If that is the case, isn't it a contradiction if Rogers is trying to enforce US rules?
Why would it be illegal to record an IP address being used for illegal purposes?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2006
5149 posts
416 upvotes
Toronto
I would ignore it. Basically the movie studio only can see that the IP address belongs to XXX; so they email XXX and ask them to tell who ever has this IP address lease that they are illegally downloading material. ISPs can refuse and not disclose anything to the end user; but some do inform the user (probably making it easier if a stricter law does become enforced). Legally however; the ISP can not disclose who the IP address belongs to a movie studio; and the only people who can get that kind of information is law enforcement with a court order.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2002
1736 posts
45 upvotes
Vancouver
billccwu wrote: Probably pressure from RIAA, they are by law required to give notice as ISPs.
since when did RIAA have any power in canada?
⬅⬇⬆➡
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2005
5690 posts
3654 upvotes
GTA
since when did the RIAA have anything to do with movies? ;)
Feb 11, 2007
62 posts
i also just got this letter, it appeared in my junk box. But the funny part is that i didnt download any game. Maybe someone is leaching off me. I called rogers to see if this was an actual rogers email and they said that they never heard of this department before. I also wanted to explain the situation that i didnt download any game. They said to ignore the email.