Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK

I saw 94 ad blocked; insane

This is a record as far as I can see. I thought a couple of ad would have been stopped/blocked.
My paid site medici.tv has only one.
But the one in this totalled 94 (see the right top corner of the image)
That is really insane.
Generally those sites cannot do me harm at all (Linuxmint and Chrome). But the sheer number of those ad is just disturbing.
Sure we do not pay for the service of the site. That is great. But should there be a limit?

Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
30 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2011
1540 posts
405 upvotes
Switch to uBlock, uses less ram and it doesn't have whitelists.
Dec 8, 2014
474 posts
81 upvotes
Westmount, QC
Maybe you went on some adult sites? People tend to get viruses from those pop up ads if clicked.
danieltoronto wrote: This is a record as far as I can see. I thought a couple of ad would have been stopped/blocked.
My paid site medici.tv has only one.
But the one in this totalled 94 (see the right top corner of the image)
That is really insane.
Generally those sites cannot do me harm at all (Linuxmint and Chrome). But the sheer number of those ad is just disturbing.
Sure we do not pay for the service of the site. That is great. But should there be a limit?

Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK
ToNIX wrote: Switch to uBlock, uses less ram and it doesn't have whitelists.
I used less than 1 Gb of ram out of 16 while running 2 video as seen in the images.
The adblock version is free. They asked for donation though. Likely without adblock I would still be ok. But that may not be the case for those running Windows.
Daniel

Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK
aaspahdc wrote: Maybe you went on some adult sites? People tend to get viruses from those pop up ads if clicked.
I wish. I am too old for that. It was a youtube site showing a Wagner's opera as you can see from the image. LOL
Daniel

Dec 8, 2014
474 posts
81 upvotes
Westmount, QC
My bad. But it's true and well known that those sites have a lot of ads which could potentially install viruses or malware on your computer if clicked. Just a heads up.
danieltoronto wrote: I wish. I am too old for that. It was a youtube site showing a Wagner's opera as you can see from the image. LOL
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2011
1540 posts
405 upvotes
danieltoronto wrote: I used less than 1 Gb of ram out of 16 while running 2 video as seen in the images.
The adblock version is free. They asked for donation though. Likely without adblock I would still be ok. But that may not be the case for those running Windows.
So is uBlock. It's simply better.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2007
2068 posts
558 upvotes
Calgary
When are they going to get Ublock for Firefox?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
aaspahdc wrote: Maybe you went on some adult sites? People tend to get viruses from those pop up ads if clicked.
Ironically... a church site is FAR more likely to give you a virus than an adult site.
Adult sites are (usually) run by a professional web team whereas church sites are usually run by the pastor's kid's friend that's "good with computers".
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK
death_hawk wrote: Ironically... a church site is FAR more likely to give you a virus than an adult site.
Adult sites are (usually) run by a professional web team whereas church sites are usually run by the pastor's kid's friend that's "good with computers".
You may be right
I am looking at this youtube video this minute. It has 131 ad blocked this minute. Wow!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0erPkv ... 88P4Tcp6qg
That is the video on Wagner Birthday Gala the music of which is probably the least erotic people can find.
I thought 94 was the record. How wrong I could be.
Maybe older folks are more vulnerable for virus. That is the only reason I can ever imagine
Daniel

Aug 21, 2012
824 posts
104 upvotes
I suggest Ghostery as well. Blocks cookies from trackers so they cant tie every website you visit to an account. (gmail, hotmail, facebook, etc..)
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2011
3952 posts
2856 upvotes
Toronto
---------
Last edited by drz400 on Jul 25th, 2022 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
------------------------------------
Deal Addict
May 31, 2007
2068 posts
558 upvotes
Calgary
CoolDudeClan wrote: Are you kidding? Adblock has been out for years for Firefox.

Sorry, I didn't make it clear. I was referring to Ublock.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2007
2068 posts
558 upvotes
Calgary
Thanks for the ublock firefox links.
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2007
1676 posts
268 upvotes
Toronto
Adblock Edge is a good alternative for Firefox users.
Feb 24, 2013
577 posts
111 upvotes
none of your busines…
If you think the ads are bad, wait till you see the trackers, beacons and third-party scripts. None of these popular web applications are free. There's always strings attached.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2010
6145 posts
2957 upvotes
Kanata
I have 12 on the same page blocked using Chrome + adblock. Not sure how you're getting those huge numbers
Uh, yeah, I'd like to speak to a Mr. Tabooger, first name Ollie.
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
13940 posts
5439 upvotes
never needed any ad block on my browser
The sweetest gyal