Home & Garden

I screwed up. bought a used appliance infested with roaches.

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 7th, 2017 11:44 am
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
7156 posts
7138 upvotes
profile wrote: So sorry to hear about your very bad luck.
It never crossed my mind when I purchased my used dishwasher.
Just trying to save a couple of bucks and all hell breaks loose.
Get the Maxforce as one adult could be carrying an egg sack.
Good Luck and thanks for opening our eyes.
Was thinking the same thing - I often buy (and sell) things on Kijiji and it never once occurred to me about potential roach infestation. This story definitely won't stop me from buying used (that's silly) but definitely will make me more cautious even though I'm pretty picky about where/who I buy from depending on the item. On 2 occasions I have turned away after seeing the condition of their house without even seeing the item - I personally don't want to buy something from someone if they can't even bother to maintain their home.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2013
2087 posts
2433 upvotes
Ottawa
trixstar wrote: The maxroach doesn't get confiscated at customs right? I'm going to order some.
No, should be fine in personal use quantities. Good luck OP.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2004
5580 posts
1106 upvotes
Toronto
I don't buy anything used that has an "inside". I'll buy things like fish tanks, cell phone, camera lens, solid wood chairs and tables, things like that. Never furniture with an "inside" you can't inspect or big electronics like playstation or tv or something. Just google roach infested playstation and you'll see what I mean. Not worth saving a few bucks. I'd buy it from a friend but not from a stranger.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2015
1550 posts
677 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Becks wrote: Do thrift stores like Value Village have roach problems?
Probably, bedbugs as well, I'd assume. All that used clothing. (shudders)
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29541 posts
20458 upvotes
Oni-kun wrote: I don't buy anything used that has an "inside". I'll buy things like fish tanks, cell phone, camera lens, solid wood chairs and tables, things like that. Never furniture with an "inside" you can't inspect or big electronics like playstation or tv or something. Just google roach infested playstation and you'll see what I mean. Not worth saving a few bucks. I'd buy it from a friend but not from a stranger.
Be careful with insect eggs that may be stuck on items without an "inside". Also avoid places that sell used clothing and furniture. Also, be careful who you let into the house. I had little choice with not admitting access to the mother in law even though I knew that her building was roach infested.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2004
5580 posts
1106 upvotes
Toronto
will888 wrote: Be careful with insect eggs that may be stuck on items without an "inside". Also avoid places that sell used clothing and furniture. Also, be careful who you let into the house. I had little choice with not admitting access to the mother in law even though I knew that her building was roach infested.
LOL seriously? your mother in law? Ouch that's brave of you man. A compromise would probably be to ask her to drop off some clothes in a garbage bag to your house. You wash them in hot water. Then when she comes she can immediately change and bag her clothes. Or ask her to come naked.
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13892 posts
3539 upvotes
Toronto
I decided to go with Pesticon. They will come by this weekend to spray down the home to get rid of the hiding roaches. It will also get rid of centipedes, spiders and a few other creepy crawlies. $500 + HST. They said something about it being 100% because of the residual? It will be effective around the 4 month mark and has a 1 year warranty. I hope this works.

This is a life lesson haha. Great story to tell at work though.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
trixstar wrote: I decided to go with Pesticon. They will come by this weekend to spray down the home to get rid of the hiding roaches. It will also get rid of centipedes, spiders and a few other creepy crawlies. $500 + HST. They said something about it being 100% because of the residual? It will be effective around the 4 month mark and has a 1 year warranty. I hope this works.

This is a life lesson haha. Great story to tell at work though.
I wouldn't tell anyone you know if I were you. You could be ostracized and hurt your career.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29541 posts
20458 upvotes
Oni-kun wrote: LOL seriously? your mother in law? Ouch that's brave of you man. A compromise would probably be to ask her to drop off some clothes in a garbage bag to your house. You wash them in hot water. Then when she comes she can immediately change and bag her clothes. Or ask her to come naked.
I do know that the cost of divorce >>>>> cost of pest control. That is why I sucked it up and let the mother inlaw bring her roaches over. This is also why I know about maxforce and how effective it is.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
will888 wrote: I do know that the cost of divorce >>>>> cost of pest control. That is why I sucked it up and let the mother inlaw bring her roaches over. This is also why I know about maxforce and how effective it is.
Your wife was cool with bringing roaches into the house? Mine would let her mother freeze outside before letting her in.
Wouldn't make everyone happy if you preemptively eliminated the issue by paying for the pest patrol to go to the mother's place?
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2004
5580 posts
1106 upvotes
Toronto
will888 wrote: I do know that the cost of divorce >>>>> cost of pest control. That is why I sucked it up and let the mother inlaw bring her roaches over. This is also why I know about maxforce and how effective it is.
Oh she actually ended up bringing some over? At least you can tell your wife "I told you so" then in the future she'd support you. Roaches are at least a little bit better than bedbugs, at least you can put out bait to get rid of them
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29541 posts
20458 upvotes
engineered wrote: Your wife was cool with bringing roaches into the house? Mine would let her mother freeze outside before letting her in.
Wouldn't make everyone happy if you preemptively eliminated the issue by paying for the pest patrol to go to the mother's place?
It's her mother, the bar is set differently. I get in trouble if I make a big stink about possible infestations. She lived in a high rise. I am not paying to eliminate roaches in an entire building. Happily, the mother inlaw hasn't lived in the roach infested building for years now.
Last edited by will888 on Nov 1st, 2017 9:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29541 posts
20458 upvotes
Oni-kun wrote: Oh she actually ended up bringing some over? At least you can tell your wife "I told you so" then in the future she'd support you. Roaches are at least a little bit better than bedbugs, at least you can put out bait to get rid of them
Not just once, but twice! My role is to STFU and remedy the roaches. Maxforce did what it was supposed to do. Interestingly, the glue pads are quite effective. Roaches need water more than they need food. So, putting out glue pads in places like the sink works very well.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2004
5580 posts
1106 upvotes
Toronto
will888 wrote: Not just once, but twice! My role is to STFU and remedy the roaches. Maxforce did what it was supposed to do. Interestingly, the glue pads are quite effective. Roaches need water more than they need food. So, putting out glue pads in places like the sink works very well.
Looks like you should give OP some tips. He needs the help. I had a mouse in my house last year. Mouse trap works good. I'd take mice over roaches any day.
Temp. Banned
Apr 6, 2016
277 posts
9 upvotes
engineered wrote: Your wife was cool with bringing roaches into the house? Mine would let her mother freeze outside before letting her in.
Time keeps on slippin slippin slippin into the future
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29541 posts
20458 upvotes
Oni-kun wrote: Looks like you should give OP some tips. He needs the help. I had a mouse in my house last year. Mouse trap works good. I'd take mice over roaches any day.
I would even consider giving OP what remains of the tube of maxforce I purchased long ago. This stuff apparently has a shelf life, especially after opening. I would not want to give anyone false hopes with an ineffective product. Mice are easier to deal with than roaches, but neither are desirable.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2004
5580 posts
1106 upvotes
Toronto
will888 wrote: I would even consider giving OP what remains of the tube of maxforce I purchased long ago. This stuff apparently has a shelf life, especially after opening. I would not want to give anyone false hopes with an ineffective product. Mice are easier to deal with than roaches, but neither are desirable.
Mice are more difficult to kill for me than roaches. I was on my porch when it started raining. I saw something grey fly across my field of view. I lifted up my nearly empty plastic deck box and I saw this little mouse with beady eyes looking at me. It looked so damn cute. But it had to die so I let go of the box and it squashed it and it started twitching. I had a moment of hesitation because it was cute. Roaches though I'd smash with no hesitation.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29541 posts
20458 upvotes
Oni-kun wrote: Mice are more difficult to kill for me than roaches. I was on my porch when it started raining. I saw something grey fly across my field of view. I lifted up my nearly empty plastic deck box and I saw this little mouse with beady eyes looking at me. It looked so damn cute. But it had to die so I let go of the box and it squashed it and it started twitching. I had a moment of hesitation because it was cute. Roaches though I'd smash with no hesitation.
I am not a cat, nor do I have cat like reflexes. I would let mouse traps do the heavy lifting in this case.
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13892 posts
3539 upvotes
Toronto
Does anyone have any experience with the effectiveness of an extermination? How long will it take for the roaches to die? Only a few roaches escaped from the dishwasher and now I'm seeing baby roaches on the floor from time to time. I sucked up maybe about 10-15 of them for the last couple of days. I spent hours cleaning up today and making sure there is not a crumb or a drop of water anywhere. I can't believe a couple of roaches can cause so much suffering....do you think the roaches will be gone forever after the extermination? Is the 6 months warranty after the initial spray a bad thing? I don't want it to come back after the warranty.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)