Aug 17, 2005
1518 posts
164 upvotes

I seriously think USPS Stole my package

Hello,

I bought perfume on eBay from a seller in the USA

I got an e-mail from PayPal & the Seller later saying

That the items were shipped also I got Tracking number, A Twenty five

Days later the items were never received.

I messaged the seller through eBay and he replies that the package were shipped

I phoned USPS & I gave them the tracking number & they said there is no way

We can trace your package.

I phoned Canada post & I gave them the tracking number they said that the

package never crossed the Canadian Border, which make me believe that the package were stolen in the USPS Office.

cheers & God bless all.
32 replies
Deal Guru
Nov 5, 2001
11975 posts
3167 upvotes
Edmonton
Advise the seller the item was not recieved. If they refuse to do anything, file a paypal dispute. They will refund your money once you provide tracking information that the item was not delivered.

It's up to the seller to make good, no matter if it's his fault, USPS, or Canada Post.

One of the rare moments using ebay/paypal is a good thing; the buyer has all the rights and advantages.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2005
1518 posts
164 upvotes
The seller said he shipped 25 days ago

Too bad the package have most Expensive perfume "Musc Ravageur"

Oh well this is the first time I got hit during ordering via Ebay.

USPS Tracking number mentioned the following:

Class: First-Class Mail International
Service(s): International Letter

Your item was accepted at 2:45 pm on April 15, 2011 in Georgia

cheers.
Sep 3, 2007
202 posts
It doesn't matter what the seller said, tell them the new information about it not crossing the border and the fact that it cannot be tracked.
I really doubt the post office took your package.
If the seller insists that he filed it 25 days ago, wait a few days then file a dispute.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2005
1518 posts
164 upvotes
Croc wrote: It doesn't matter what the seller said, tell them the new information about it not crossing the border and the fact that it cannot be tracked.
I really doubt the post office took your package.
If the seller insists that he filed it 25 days ago, wait a few days then file a dispute.

According to google There were many people reported that the USPS stole their Packages therefore, I'm not the first one who blames USPS.
Oh by the way the Seller have 100% feedback That's why I bought from him in the first place
cheers.
Nov 23, 2006
80 posts
2 upvotes
Surrey
I have had things shipped via first class international before...and it has taken up to 1.5 months sometimes to get stuff so you might want to wait a bit longer before assuming they stole it. If you want your stuff faster and actually tracked, you have to be willing to pay extra for priority international shipping. First Class is the cheapest slowest shipping you can get via USPS.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2005
1518 posts
164 upvotes
lesley172 wrote: I have had things shipped via first class international before...and it has taken up to 1.5 months sometimes to get stuff so you might want to wait a bit longer before assuming they stole it. If you want your stuff faster and actually tracked, you have to be willing to pay extra for priority international shipping. First Class is the cheapest slowest shipping you can get via USPS.

I ordered so many items before from different eBay seller with the USPS First-Class Mail International & It shipped after Eight days.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
7020 posts
2906 upvotes
Victoria, BC
lesley172 wrote: I have had things shipped via first class international before...and it has taken up to 1.5 months sometimes to get stuff so you might want to wait a bit longer before assuming they stole it. If you want your stuff faster and actually tracked, you have to be willing to pay extra for priority international shipping. First Class is the cheapest slowest shipping you can get via USPS.

There are some rules that apply to mailing perfume.

For the U.S. domestically, it appears that it can only use First Class Mail, not Priority or above, and must be specifically labelled as "Ground Only".

Cannot be mailed internationally at all, according to this:

http://pe.usps.com/text/qsg300/Q601.htm#wp1034029

There may be a special provision for Canada and Mexico, as USPS views these differently from other international in some contexts (rates, sizes, etc.).

Not sure that CP can definitely say it has not crossed the border - may have missed scanning it.
But assuming they are right, although a USPS outlet accepted the package, it may have got "confiscated" further down the line.

Agree that another 2 weeks should be allowed for CP/CBSA to process/deliver it, or for it to be returned by USPS to the sender.

I wouldn't think perfume is one of the prime targets for less-than-honest USPS employees - too personal, and not easy to fence.
Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2008
6312 posts
3088 upvotes
Manitoba
Many times it was also due to wrong adress, postalcode, etc., no return adress
Aug 12, 2006
380 posts
151 upvotes
May wrote: The seller said he shipped 25 days ago

Too bad the package have most Expensive perfume "Musc Ravageur"

Oh well this is the first time I got hit during ordering via Ebay.

USPS Tracking number mentioned the following:

Class: First-Class Mail International
Service(s): International Letter

Your item was accepted at 2:45 pm on April 15, 2011 in Georgia

cheers.
First Class International can't be tracked - it will only show that it's been accepted at the PO, like the info you're getting.

This means your seller is SOL, since you can claim with ebay or Paypal that it wasn't recieved, and he/she will be unable to prove delivery. They have to refund you.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2005
1518 posts
164 upvotes
The Musc Ravageur Costs $183 for a bottle, also none of the perfume Stores in Canada has it Perhaps a Store in BC which sell it over $200.

In regard to the address I paid to the seller with my Paypal accounts & my address is correctly printed in there with my postal code & my telephone number.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2008
1708 posts
743 upvotes
Sorry to hear this happened to you
But I am wondering if the person who shipped it gave you a false tracking number?
.......just sayin'

Anyway in the future you should buy your perfume from Fragrance Net
I buy mine from them and most of the perfumes have HUGE discounts AND the perfume I get you can't find in stores, they have a lot of perfumes from 'way back' also.........
They are just over the border (Niagara Falls) and my order normally takes about 5 business days to get to me :)

http://www.fragrancenet.com/

Have a look at the site.....sign up to it
and once you sign up then send you ''Coupon Codes''' for more discounts
(ps.....they do send a lot of emails, but I don't mind as I am saving a tonne!)

I save over 55% for my perfume and I luvvvvvvv's it :)

here is one you can use to start: 10% off: Just enter coupon code RESYS during checkout.

I have NEVER had any problems with them, and have ordered from them about 6 times now :)

Good Luck.....I hope you get the ebay problem sorted out
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2005
1518 posts
164 upvotes
Sea wrote: First Class International can't be tracked - it will only show that it's been accepted at the PO, like the info you're getting.

This means your seller is SOL, since you can claim with ebay or Paypal that it wasn't recieved, and he/she will be unable to prove delivery. They have to refund you.

The seller feedback is 100% & none of Ebay members who bought from him lefts any negative comments against him.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2005
1518 posts
164 upvotes
NoFixedAddress wrote: Sorry to hear this happened to you
But I am wondering if the person who shipped it gave you a false tracking number?
.......just sayin'

Anyway in the future you should buy your perfume from Fragrance Net
I buy mine from them and most of the perfumes have HUGE discounts AND the perfume I get you can't find in stores, they have a lot of perfumes from 'way back' also.........
They are just over the border (Niagara Falls) and my order normally takes about 5 business days to get to me :)

http://www.fragrancenet.com/

Have a look at the site.....sign up to it
and once you sign up then send you ''Coupon Codes''' for more discounts
(ps.....they do send a lot of emails, but I don't mind as I am saving a tonne!)

I save over 55% for my perfume and I luvvvvvvv's it :)

here is one you can use to start: 10% off: Just enter coupon code RESYS during checkout.

I have NEVER had any problems with them, and have ordered from them about 6 times now :)

Good Luck.....I hope you get the ebay problem sorted out

I tried to buy it of Fragrancex.com which I have accounts with, but they don't have Musc Ravageur.
Aug 12, 2006
380 posts
151 upvotes
May wrote: The seller feedback is 100% & none of Ebay members who bought from him lefts any negative comments against him.
I'm not sure what you mean by this in response to my post. Do you think that the perfect feedback means ebay will side with him over you? It doesn't matter, ebay's policy is that it's the seller's responsibility to get the item to the buyer, and to have proof in the form of delivery confirmation (with a signature if the item sold over $250). The seller sent it by a method that doesn't have that, the error is on his end. If you open a claim for Item Not Recieved, you'll win and get a refund.
Nov 9, 2007
342 posts
158 upvotes
Scarborough
Just had a very WTF moment. Canadians, we regularly shop cross border for deals right? Well, I had purchased a Gucci perfume gift set early December and received my package tonight.

The yellow CBSA tape on the outside tell me it was opened and inspected. I'm thinking, that's okay, they do regular routine checks. The declaration on the box says "Body Products" so it should be quite safe right? Okay, so I open it up, get through the bubble wrap and then i notice there's a scratch on the gift box, the sealing tape/plastic is also cut.

I frantically rush to pull out the gift bag where the contents are stored, and behold that the most important part of the gift set, the perfume is missing. I freak out for a few minutes, wondering how I am going to get the retailer to refund/reimburse me without any proof etc. Then realize there's a letter from the CBSA saying that they confiscated the perfume because it's classified as a dangerous material.

I suppose that the retailer, with their expertise in selling should KNOW better than to ship perfumes as it is classified as a dangerous material. But honestly, I didn't know until now.

This is a really WTF moment because either the CBSA person knowingly removed the perfume that was meant to be a gift for Christmas, KNOWING that they were ruining it for someone. How dangerous is a bottle of perfume packed inside a gift bag, inside a gift box, and two layers of bubble wrap and another shipping cardboard container? It's WINTER now, temperatures are regularly sub-zero, contents of the perfume would have near zero risk of catching fire, and it wasn't even an aerosol spray bottle, just your regular glass mist spray perfume bottles.

I'm just really upset right now because they've taken away my gift, and I've already stretched out my entire gift budget for the holiday. I really hate you CBSA, yes I do.
I'm not even sure I can gift the remaining contents because it's late now and I'm not sure if the retailer will replace/reimburse or want me to ship the order back with the perfume missing.

I really have no idea what to do. Of course I am going to call CBSA tomorrow morning. Has anyone had any experience with this before, is it possible to get it back? This is really going to be a crappy Christmas if I can't get this to work out...
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22691 posts
3682 upvotes
Poepoies wrote: Just had a very WTF moment. Canadians, we regularly shop cross border for deals right? Well, I had purchased a Gucci perfume gift set early December and received my package tonight.

The yellow CBSA tape on the outside tell me it was opened and inspected. I'm thinking, that's okay, they do regular routine checks. The declaration on the box says "Body Products" so it should be quite safe right? Okay, so I open it up, get through the bubble wrap and then i notice there's a scratch on the gift box, the sealing tape/plastic is also cut.

I frantically rush to pull out the gift bag where the contents are stored, and behold that the most important part of the gift set, the perfume is missing. I freak out for a few minutes, wondering how I am going to get the retailer to refund/reimburse me without any proof etc. Then realize there's a letter from the CBSA saying that they confiscated the perfume because it's classified as a dangerous material.

I suppose that the retailer, with their expertise in selling should KNOW better than to ship perfumes as it is classified as a dangerous material. But honestly, I didn't know until now.

This is a really WTF moment because either the CBSA person knowingly removed the perfume that was meant to be a gift for Christmas, KNOWING that they were ruining it for someone. How dangerous is a bottle of perfume packed inside a gift bag, inside a gift box, and two layers of bubble wrap and another shipping cardboard container? It's WINTER now, temperatures are regularly sub-zero, contents of the perfume would have near zero risk of catching fire, and it wasn't even an aerosol spray bottle, just your regular glass mist spray perfume bottles.

I'm just really upset right now because they've taken away my gift, and I've already stretched out my entire gift budget for the holiday. I really hate you CBSA, yes I do.
I'm not even sure I can gift the remaining contents because it's late now and I'm not sure if the retailer will replace/reimburse or want me to ship the order back with the perfume missing.

I really have no idea what to do. Of course I am going to call CBSA tomorrow morning. Has anyone had any experience with this before, is it possible to get it back? This is really going to be a crappy Christmas if I can't get this to work out...

Perfume is a class 3 dangerous good (flammable) that is considered non-mailable. The CBSA acted in accordance to the Canada Post Act.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2008
6132 posts
1005 upvotes
Fort Saskatchewan
^If they wont let it cross the border you would think a simple 'return to sender' would do.
˙dlǝɥ ɹoɟ ǝɯ WԀ oʇ ǝɯoɔlǝʍ lǝǝℲ ˙spɹolɹǝʌO pℲɹ ʎɯ ɟo ǝɔᴉʌɹǝs uᴉ ƃuᴉʇɐɹǝpoW ʎlᴉddɐH
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
3008 posts
6928 upvotes
Poepoies wrote: Just had a very WTF moment. Canadians, we regularly shop cross border for deals right? Well, I had purchased a Gucci perfume gift set early December and received my package tonight.

Your argument is flawed - just because something is a "gift" does not mean it can bypass Customs or as a reason for them not to detain the item. The law made it clear you cannot mail flammable liquids and the onus is on you to make sure you know the postal regulations. Calling CBSA or CP will not resolve the issue in your favor so don't even bother.

Beyond being a dangerous goods, "items that emit offensive odours" are also prohibited under the Non-mailable Matter Regulations.

"Perfumes and toiletries with an alcohol base are considered dangerous goods (flammable liquids) and are therefore prohibited from the mail stream"
http://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manua ... onal-e.asp

"the only way perfume can be legally shipped into Canada is by courier."
http://www.canada.com/globaltv/calgary/ ... e09ea87d3e
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2010
1256 posts
236 upvotes
Toronto
I really wouldn't worry too much. If it were me, I would ask the seller to confirm the tracking #, and ask them to search it and tell you the updates - if they can't tell you the updates obviously either tracking # is wrong or they didn't ship it. If for any reason they didn't ship or what have you, ask for a refund. Since the item didn't arrive, they should refund purchase price and shipping. If they don't give you a refund, open a dispute in Paypal and wait a few days for the seller to respond. If they don't respond to the dispute, escalate it to a claim and Paypal will more than likely side with you and issue you a full refund. You do have a limit to file disputes, so do it sooner than later. eBay/Paypal are insanely on the buyers side, you shouldn't have any issues here.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)