• Dec 23rd, 2011 2:03 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
11298 posts
3836 upvotes
Nowhere
cahk wrote: Beyond being a dangerous goods, "items that emit offensive odours" are also prohibited under the Non-mailable Matter Regulations.

Wow, too bad that only applies to the postal system. I agree that perfumes emit offensive odours and should be banned everywhere, not just in the mail.

When you are importing items into Canada, it is your responsibility to know the applicable rules and regulations. CBSA did their job protecting us for toxic perfume. (I'm not joking perfumes are toxic containing multiple chemicals including known carcinogens.)
April 28th is a National Day of Mourning for those killed or injured on the job. Mourn for the dead, fight for the living. We all deserve to return home safely at night.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18924 posts
10495 upvotes
Poepoies wrote: This is a really WTF moment because either the CBSA person knowingly removed the perfume that was meant to be a gift for Christmas, KNOWING that they were ruining it for someone. How dangerous is a bottle of perfume packed inside a gift bag, inside a gift box, and two layers of bubble wrap and another shipping cardboard container? It's WINTER now, temperatures are regularly sub-zero, contents of the perfume would have near zero risk of catching fire, and it wasn't even an aerosol spray bottle, just your regular glass mist spray perfume bottles.

I'm just really upset right now because they've taken away my gift, and I've already stretched out my entire gift budget for the holiday. I really hate you CBSA, yes I do.
I'm not even sure I can gift the remaining contents because it's late now and I'm not sure if the retailer will replace/reimburse or want me to ship the order back with the perfume missing.

I really have no idea what to do. Of course I am going to call CBSA tomorrow morning. Has anyone had any experience with this before, is it possible to get it back? This is really going to be a crappy Christmas if I can't get this to work out...

I think I just had a WTF moment reading your post. The CBSA person did their job, and their job isn't to cater to your every desire. You have an attitude that you are entitled to everything and excrete arrogance.

Just remember, it's you who caused all this. Not the retailer, not the CBSA, not anyone but you. Accept some responsibility once in awhile.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6823 posts
1481 upvotes
Manitoba
I've never had any problems getting fragrances shipped in from Perfumania. They only use UPS ground to Canada.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
Now I see why American Eagle refuses to process any orders with cologne.

I laughed at the comment about "let it slide because it was a xmas gift"... if that held up, I'd order a few Ak47s and bazookas.
Nov 9, 2007
342 posts
158 upvotes
Scarborough
EmperorOfCanada wrote: ^If they wont let it cross the border you would think a simple 'return to sender' would do.

Exactly what I wish they would have done. Now, I have to deal with the retailer during their busiest time of the season trying to figure out what to do. It would be 100% easy for them process the complete refund if CBSA had simply refused the entire package and sent it back the other way.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2008
1113 posts
19 upvotes
^Agreed. Did the perfume ever arrive ? 6 months ago from UPS. The other post are missing packages shipped with Canada Post. Could it be an addess problem ?

Curious.
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14325 posts
1241 upvotes
samkat wrote: ^Agreed. Did the perfume ever arrive ? 6 months ago from UPS. The other post are missing packages shipped with Canada Post. Could it be an addess problem ?

Curious.

I think it was determined earlier in the thread the perfume is considered a dangerous good and cannot be shipped across borders.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
7132 posts
3735 upvotes
Montreal
Poepoies wrote: Exactly what I wish they would have done. Now, I have to deal with the retailer during their busiest time of the season trying to figure out what to do. It would be 100% easy for them process the complete refund if CBSA had simply refused the entire package and sent it back the other way.

But it would have been even easier if you hadn't attempted to circumvent postal regulations in the first place. Why should they place nice when you broke the rules?
Nov 9, 2007
342 posts
158 upvotes
Scarborough
psyko514 wrote: But it would have been even easier if you hadn't attempted to circumvent postal regulations in the first place. Why should they place nice when you broke the rules?

Because 99% of people don't know about this rule and that includes myself. Not everyone reads up on import laws and regulations on their free time.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
7132 posts
3735 upvotes
Montreal
Poepoies wrote: Because 99% of people don't know about this rule and that includes myself. Not everyone reads up on import laws and regulations on their free time.

Since when is ignorance of rules an acceptable reason for breaking them?
Nov 29, 2007
839 posts
81 upvotes
Victoria BC
Poepoies wrote: Because 99% of people don't know about this rule and that includes myself. Not everyone reads up on import laws and regulations on their free time.
If you're going to import stuff from another country it's incumbent upon you to either educate yourself on the process or accept the risks associated with not bothering to do so. You don't have be an expert on import laws; just contact CBSA and ask them.