Investing

I signed up for Circle app a few years ago to get a $5 bitcoin promo offer and promptly forgot about it ...did you?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 22nd, 2021 12:22 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2008
4285 posts
2287 upvotes
BC

I signed up for Circle app a few years ago to get a $5 bitcoin promo offer and promptly forgot about it ...did you?

It was only $5 and I wasn't ready to play with btc at the time so I didn't care too much about it and forgot until yesterday.

Today that $5 just went into my Binance account at a value of $300 ...not too shabby!

Here is the expired RFD thread from May 2015 and I'm posting this mostly to help tweak any others out there who signed up and forgot about it
- https://forums.redflagdeals.com/5-free- ... #p22626513

More on topic for this sub though, is Circle still worth using as a wallet? I never see anyone mention them.
11 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2008
4285 posts
2287 upvotes
BC
Frank2029 wrote: Don't sell it :)
Well, I do want to trade it for eth at some point but maybe today is not the day :)
Feb 25, 2015
218 posts
74 upvotes
yup, same here. Actually saw the promo here in RFD and mindlessly signed up. Saw this thread, so login using and saw... ACCOUNT BALANCE
0.02100841 BTC , currently $240USD.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2017
1226 posts
980 upvotes
GVA
LOL, wished i signed upCrying Face did i not? where can i download this
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2008
4285 posts
2287 upvotes
BC
williwx wrote: yup, same here. Actually saw the promo here in RFD and mindlessly signed up. Saw this thread, so login using and saw... ACCOUNT BALANCE
0.02100841 BTC , currently $240USD.
NICE!
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21330 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
So I totally forgot about this until last week, when I got an email from Circle that they're shutting down. That free $5USD turned into $231CAD (roughly). Not bad for found money!
Jun 28, 2009
309 posts
143 upvotes
So I was finally able to access my Circle Pay app today and found out that they withdrew the entire balance as a maintenance fee. This would be worth over $1200 USD today.

In particular, I see the following transaction on March 30, 2021.

0.01501492 BTC Account Maintenance Fee.

That is an 875.70 USD account maintenance fee. Is Circle Pay allowed to do this? Do I have any recourse for this?
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21330 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
baskiddball wrote: So I was finally able to access my Circle Pay app today and found out that they withdrew the entire balance as a maintenance fee. This would be worth over $1200 USD today.

In particular, I see the following transaction on March 30, 2021.

0.01501492 BTC Account Maintenance Fee.

That is an 875.70 USD account maintenance fee. Is Circle Pay allowed to do this? Do I have any recourse for this?
I'd double check the T&C, but they almost certainly are allowed to do this.
Jun 28, 2009
309 posts
143 upvotes
wearysky wrote: I'd double check the T&C, but they almost certainly are allowed to do this.
I am surprised that they can choose an arbitrary amount as an account maintenance fee when this was instituted after I lost access to my account and I did not have any access to my account to do anything about it.

Are you saying though that there is no recourse?
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21330 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
baskiddball wrote: I am surprised that they can choose an arbitrary amount as an account maintenance fee when this was instituted after I lost access to my account and I did not have any access to my account to do anything about it.

Are you saying though that there is no recourse?
Depends on where Circle runs their business from, but yeah, chances are pretty good there's no recourse. You had *multiple years* to reclaim your funds, and unless you have proof of trying to regain access to your account and it just took them several years to give it back to you, you're probably shit outta luck. Crypto is a bit of a wild west situation, so if their T&C said they can reclaim your full account if you abandon it, chances are it's perfectly legal. I highly doubt they were registered as an actual bank, or anything remotely like that, so your *best case scenario* is small claims court, and even then good luck.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)