• Jun 28th, 2013 9:17 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2009
1568 posts
130 upvotes

I think TD is going to Aeroplan.

I do the occasional survey for Airmiles/Aeroplan, and I came across one today that asked what I thought of the following credit cards, cosmetically speaking. I was asked the usual questions about each one individually and then what I thought of them when comparing them all as a group.

I found it kind of interesting with some talk about CIBC potentially dropping Aeroplan later this year.

I know it's just a survey, but it seems funny that they'd go to all the trouble to use the TD-style of credit card advertising by using "G Raymond" as the cardholder and the card number beginning with 4520.

(There was not a non-disclosure agreement with this survey (and I've run into them many times over the years) so I do not believe there is anything wrong with posting my screenshots.)

Maybe this is old news. If it is, sorry, no harm done.
69 replies
Sep 8, 2012
186 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
RBC and CIBC also use G Raymond for their Visa mock ups.

The 4520 is intriguing although a TD Infinite card should start 4520 88.

Oh and none of the design are inspiring though the second is considerably better than the other, at least no sign of tangerine anywhere.

What is really confusing is the FYF promo from CIBC, they should be weening people off these cards if they really are hesitant over renewal rather than signing more up.

The AP contract is lucrative for whoever gets it. I see these cards more than any other (and I always check out how people are paying) followed by Avion, and the rewards simply do not cost very much. If you get an AP for 0.8c which is more than CIBC are probably now paying, compare to giving 1.5-2% return on other cards.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2009
1568 posts
130 upvotes
markandrew wrote:
Jun 13th, 2013 2:25 pm
RBC and CIBC also use G Raymond for their Visa mock ups.
I never realized that. I always thought RBC was that Lee Cardholder or something dumb that like. CIBC I never thought to check. Me be stupid today.
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2003
4362 posts
5092 upvotes
Markham
Usually the topic of these surveys will become reality in a very short time. However, they also asked the people to do the survey to keep it confidential. Not sure if it is the case for this particular one.
get what is cheap, not what you need :lol:
Nov 25, 2012
11 posts
1 upvote
Vancouver
markandrew wrote:
Jun 13th, 2013 2:25 pm
The 4520 is intriguing although a TD Infinite card should start 4520 88.
If you look on TD's website, their current mockup of the First Class Visa Infinite also goes 4520 1234 5678 9123. The designs of these cards also match the other new cards we've seen from TD, namely the Visa debit card and the cash back Mastercard with the faint stripe look.

Could it be possible we'll see TD Aeroplan and CIBC aeroplan cards simultaneously? It's not like CIBC is completely exclusive on offering Aeroplan miles as rewards, Amex also has the whole suite of Aeroplan cards.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2007
1630 posts
224 upvotes
Markham
2 and 4 look alright
not bad if you already bank with TD and get a free top tier card via the select account
Dec 27, 2012
68 posts
19 upvotes
OTTAWA
513263337 wrote:
Jun 13th, 2013 4:38 pm
I have to say OP is amazing.
+1
and 2nd and 4th cards look good
Oct 7, 2011
833 posts
166 upvotes
Toronto
CIBC is offering the 3rd round of fee waivers to their premium travel cards in a year. Something is up. At the same time we are hearing CIBC may not stay with Aeropeso, and now TD may go with Aeropeso. These can all be negotiating tactics.

It's good to churn those CIBC cards and get the bonus while we can. TD First class visa, is not bad in getting 4.5% back for booking with TD Expedia, if you can get the fee waived. But TD's visa is still a bit lacking. So if they're expanding by going with Aeropeso, it can benefit some. CIBC can try to expand their Aventura, if they can offer something more substantial.

Aeropeso is just not worth that much, with their lack of seats, and the scamcharges. After getting the bonus, the 2% cashback cards are much better than getting Aeropeso points.
Sep 8, 2012
186 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
CIBC currently has exclusive distribution of AP affiliated credit cards, the Amex products are charge cards.

CIBC will be paying for those exclusive rights on top of what they pay per mile. Bring CIBC and TD in, if it is two-way exclusive then you need to have everyone at the table which would violate antitrust, and an open agreement would have no value for the bank, why would CIBC pay $xm for a licence to issue AP cards if AP has the right to sign a deal with BMO, Chase and capital 1 tomorrow.

Aventura without AP, maybe I am blind, stupid or both, but I have not got my head around the complicated redemptions, and Aventura is just a faster way to earn Aeroplans presuming there will be transfer bonus.

CIBC may still be using sign ups to pressure AP, inflating the number of miles they buy for the past couple of years through the fee waivers as a way to leverage long term cut rate mile purchase agreement based on the recent volume.

If there are two companies I have great difficulty dealing with it is CIBC and Aeroplan so they seem to go hand in hand, I expect status quo in a year.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
5909 posts
1030 upvotes
Toronto
CIBC negotiating. TD sees the possibility to push in. I'll still churn the CIBC no fee and bonus.

But Aeropeso is still not that valuable any more. Hard to get seats when needed, plus the scamcharges. I still use mbna 2% cashback as my primary card. Cash is king. Aeropeso is, well, another peso.
May 6, 2008
173 posts
29 upvotes
Laval
If they change my program to aeoplan they will loose my business I was with aeroplan before and they are crap for me. No available seat and a mess to deal with.
I like the flexibility of the TD point where I cant get any flight, hotel and car reserve with who I want and the company who give me the best service and deal.
waiting 25 minute over the phone to be told there no seat available for me is no worth the hassle.....
× < >