• Nov 16th, 2017 11:25 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 20, 2012
1122 posts
330 upvotes
Waterloo, ON

I think we have made a big hygiene mistake

Our 2 month old is uncircumcised. In the hospital they showed us how to bath him and the nurse said when he gets a little older, you should pull back the forekin and clean it.

Well, she didn’t really specify what a little older meant, so we recently pulled it back during his bath and found a lot of white stuff and cleaned it away. Then we read online how the forskin is fused and you should never pull it back until it retracts on its own.

My question now is, since we have done it, should we keep doing it when we bath him or should we just let it be? She called the local Heath unit and they weren’t really helpful about the situation.
29 replies
Mar 10, 2010
890 posts
100 upvotes
You heard wrong. A fused foreskin is an abnormal condition. The foreskin is designed to retract. Just keep doing it like you did in the bath as there will be a constant build-up there that you will need to clean until your boy is old enough to do it himself.
brobinsoncc wrote:
Oct 28th, 2017 8:47 am
Our 2 month old is uncircumcised. In the hospital they showed us how to bath him and the nurse said when he gets a little older, you should pull back the forekin and clean it.

Well, she didn’t really specify what a little older meant, so we recently pulled it back during his bath and found a lot of white stuff and cleaned it away. Then we read online how the forskin is fused and you should never pull it back until it retracts on its own.

My question now is, since we have done it, should we keep doing it when we bath him or should we just let it be? She called the local Heath unit and they weren’t really helpful about the situation.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
7877 posts
565 upvotes
Clacker wrote:
Oct 28th, 2017 10:37 am
You heard wrong. A fused foreskin is an abnormal condition. The foreskin is designed to retract. Just keep doing it like you did in the bath as there will be a constant build-up there that you will need to clean until your boy is old enough to do it himself.
No. OP is correct. Foreskin is suppose to be like that for about the first year.

Op - talk to your pediatrician. We've discovered the difference in kid specific knowledge between regular health practitioners and pediatricians is huge.

We've been sent twice to emergency by a doctor for things the pediatricians know is normal for babies. Also one time had a pediatrician pick up something that normal doctors completely miss.
Oct 17, 2013
84 posts
37 upvotes
Ontario
If he can pee, let it be. Don't stress about this one time, unless you notice issues. From now on, just wash the outside without retracting. Every boy is different, my younger son was able to retract himself at 2yo, my older one couldn't until 7. The majority of boys will be able to retract by the time they hit puberty. The doctor always said to let them be the first ones to retract because they know when to stop if it hurts.
Mar 10, 2010
890 posts
100 upvotes
Hmm, guess I am wrong. We've never encountered this problem in my family before... Thanks for the correction.
Stock R wrote:
Oct 28th, 2017 3:48 pm
No. OP is correct. Foreskin is suppose to be like that for about the first year.

Op - talk to your pediatrician. We've discovered the difference in kid specific knowledge between regular health practitioners and pediatricians is huge.

We've been sent twice to emergency by a doctor for things the pediatricians know is normal for babies. Also one time had a pediatrician pick up something that normal doctors completely miss.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2007
4837 posts
793 upvotes
Peterborough
The first person to pull that foreskin back is the child themselves.
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
6126 posts
2220 upvotes
Toronto
I don't get it did you pull it back so hard that you ripped it. I don't think that's even possible .

Gotta clean that dick cheese
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2008
2783 posts
602 upvotes
BC
Poor kid! You misunderstood. No Health practitioner or nurse or doctor or anyone who knows better would suggest that you pull it back on your own and clean it. That is absolutely terrible and ridiculous advice for new parents.
Nov 13, 2013
714 posts
245 upvotes
OTTAWA
Why all of this worry. Oil, pulling it back whatever seems unnecessary. We have been doing nothing for thousands of years. I think the fact that until recently most were circumcised in North America has made us think something is unusual about foreskin or something special needs to be done.
Nov 7, 2012
657 posts
231 upvotes
TORONTO
daivey wrote: I don't get it did you pull it back so hard that you ripped it. I don't think that's even possible .

Lol our kid is adopted and he's uncircumcised. We're looking to get it done as my wife continues to joke about dick cheese.
Jun 10, 2013
66 posts
20 upvotes
I wonder what gave humanity the idea to start mutilating their own genitals (both male and female)...Anyway back in undergrad public health we were told it wasn't necessary (because of modern hygiene) and even harmful. Perhaps the guidance has changed again, who knows...
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2012
4815 posts
1259 upvotes
Space
Use quality wipes and wash him regularly. I’ve never understood the need to circumcise. To me it seems more of a cosmetic surgery ( and religious of course.)

akswun wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2017 11:14 am
Lol our kid is adopted and he's uncircumcised. We're looking to get it done as my wife continues to joke about dick cheese.
Jun 23, 2016
28 posts
8 upvotes
Clacker wrote:
Oct 28th, 2017 10:37 am
No you are very wrong... The foreskin is fused until it's fully retractable anywhere between 2 and as old as 10 or 12. You NEVER pull it back before that. You clean it like you would a finger. Pulling it back can cause tears and create scar tissue which leads to people thinking they "have" to be circ'd.
Jun 23, 2016
28 posts
8 upvotes
daivey wrote:
Oct 31st, 2017 3:41 pm
I don't get it did you pull it back so hard that you ripped it. I don't think that's even possible .

It's seriously incredible how little men know about their own bodies. Embarrassing really.