Parenting & Family

I think we have made a big hygiene mistake

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 16th, 2017 11:25 am
Mar 10, 2010
891 posts
100 upvotes
Yeah, I know, which is why I said so already... but I guess you didn't read the rest of the posts before deciding to comment.....

It's odd when somebody comments on somebody else's 2 week old posts where they've already admitted a mistake. Embarrassing really. ;)
Mindy82 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 10:15 am
No you are very wrong... The foreskin is fused until it's fully retractable anywhere between 2 and as old as 10 or 12. You NEVER pull it back before that. You clean it like you would a finger. Pulling it back can cause tears and create scar tissue which leads to people thinking they "have" to be circ'd.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
16268 posts
1734 upvotes
Langley
Mindy82 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 10:19 am
It's seriously incredible how little men know about their own bodies. Embarrassing really.
We're at an unusual time with a lot of parents having never seen a foreskin due to routine circumcision in the past. Many men don't have foreskins so it's not unfamiliarity with "their own bodies."
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13196 posts
672 upvotes
dutchca wrote:
Oct 28th, 2017 5:00 pm
The first person to pull that foreskin back is the child themselves.
Not if you actually bathe your kids....

And yes, you are not supposed to force anything. Pretty good rule for life.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2013
3663 posts
440 upvotes
MONTR
get a circumcision and no need to worry about foreskin, there is a reason why jewish know something other people don't.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
16268 posts
1734 upvotes
Langley
nomdesplumes wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 9:56 pm
get a circumcision and no need to worry about foreskin, there is a reason why jewish know something other people don't.
No, its highly unethical to painfully remove a part of a child's body just to save yourself a few seconds at bathtime.

This rule went into effect when the ancient Hebrews thought that you could cure leprosy by killing two birds and sprinkling the blood around. They've provided us no medical information and there is no reason to take medical advice from them.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2013
3663 posts
440 upvotes
MONTR
i6s1 wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 10:37 pm
No, its highly unethical to painfully remove a part of a child's body just to save yourself a few seconds at bathtime.

This rule went into effect when the ancient Hebrews thought that you could cure leprosy by killing two birds and sprinkling the blood around. There is no useful medical information to learn from them and no reason to take medical advice from them.
Like any other surgical procedure there is little or minimal pain afterwards.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
16268 posts
1734 upvotes
Langley
nomdesplumes wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 10:39 pm
Like any other surgical procedure there is little or minimal pain afterwards.
So you agree that it's painful. That's a good start.

You realize that infants can't be given the powerful painkillers that adults get, right?

Did you know that sometimes babies cry so hard during or after the procedure that they pass out? Do you consider that "minimal" or "little" pain?

Furthermore, even if was painless, it would still be a clear violation of someone's bodily autonomy for nothing more that your own laziness. And in all likelyhood, you'd probably spend more time getting the circumcision then you would cleaning from the time the foreskin detaches till he's old enough to clean it himself. In fact, he might be cleaning it himself long before it detaches.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2013
3663 posts
440 upvotes
MONTR
i6s1 wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 10:48 pm
So you agree that it's painful. That's a good start.

You realize that infants can't be given the powerful painkillers that adults get, right?

Did you know that sometimes babies cry so hard during or after the procedure that they pass out? Do you consider that "minimal" or "little" pain?

Furthermore, even if was painless, it would still be a clear violation of someone's bodily autonomy for nothing more that your own laziness. And in all likelyhood, you'd probably spend more time getting the circumcision then you would cleaning from the time the foreskin detaches till he's old enough to clean it himself. In fact, he might be cleaning it himself long before it detaches.
Look on the bright side, he will be grateful you did it for him when he was a baby than when he is a teenager.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
16268 posts
1734 upvotes
Langley
nomdesplumes wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 7:00 pm
Look on the bright side, he will be grateful you did it for him when he was a baby than when he is a teenager.
How exactly do you know that?

Uncircumcised men rarely get circumcised electively, so it doesn't seem all that important to most of them.

And if he wants to do it as a teen or adult, he would experience less pain than he would have as an infant. He'd understand the reason for any pain, unlike a baby who would just react with stress and fear - something very unhealthy for a developing brain.

If he wants to get cut as an adult, then he still has that choice. If he wanted to be uncut as an adult, then circumcision removes that choice. There are thousands of men who are very upset that the choice was removed, and attempt some form of reconstruction.

I don't think it makes sense to cause pain and infringe on body autonomy for thousands of infants just to save some inconvenience and pain for the handful of them who would elect to have this done as adults. Let the handful of men endure the pain, not thousands of infants.

It's his body, it's his choice.
Nov 13, 2013
721 posts
245 upvotes
OTTAWA
nomdesplumes wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 7:00 pm
It's not like ear piercing. Almost nobody chooses to do this later in life. That should tell you everything you need to know.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2004
2318 posts
783 upvotes
Ottawa
Mindy82 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 10:19 am
It's seriously incredible how little men know about their own bodies. Embarrassing really.
You realize that quite a few men are circumcised and would really have no other way of knowing? You're in no position to so quickly judge others.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
5265 posts
661 upvotes
i6s1 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 1:04 pm
We're at an unusual time with a lot of parents having never seen a foreskin due to routine circumcision in the past. Many men don't have foreskins so it's not unfamiliarity with "their own bodies."
Yes, times are certainly changing. Myself, I am circumcised, as I believe most men my age are ( at least the locker room taught me there are few men my age not)

That said, I never really even considered doing my two boys. It just seemed pointless, and painful. Especially after the nurses told me that only one doctor in my town still does it, a he was on holiday, and would have to book the procedure 3 weeks out. No way I was doing this to a 3 or 4 week old.

That said, since I knew no different, I am not ashamed to admit that I had several conversations with my Sister ( who is a Dr) and Google regarding the foreskin, to be sure we were doing everything properly.

Oh, and wait until you experience "ballooning" the first time. That really took me by surprise.
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1211 posts
302 upvotes
Ottawa
nomdesplumes wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 9:56 pm
To each his own, most people in non-Christian countries never heard of circumcision and yet they never worry about their foreskin.

Same with any other mammal with a p***s.

If you want one due to religious reasons sure go ahead. That is absolutely no medical reason why you need one.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
16268 posts
1734 upvotes
Langley
csi123 wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 12:05 pm
To each his own, most people in non-Christian countries never heard of circumcision and yet they never worry about their foreskin.
It's actually common in Israel, the Muslim world, and South Korea even.
csi123 wrote:
If you want one due to religious reasons sure go ahead. That is absolutely no medical reason why you need one.
Sure, but he's talking about getting one for someone's child. I agree that if you want a circumcision, you should get one. But you shouldn't make that choice for someone else.
May 12, 2014
874 posts
350 upvotes
Montreal
csi123 wrote:
That is absolutely no medical reason why you need one.
There is some evidence that circumcision has health benefits, including:

A decreased risk of urinary tract infections.

A reduced risk of some sexually transmitted diseases in men.

Protection against penile cancer and a reduced risk of cervical cancer in female sex partners.

Prevention of balanitis (inflammation of the glans) and balanoposthitis (inflammation of the glans and foreskin).

Prevention of phimosis (the inability to retract the foreskin) and paraphimosis (the inability to return the foreskin to its original location).