• Last Updated:
  • Nov 25th, 2016 12:48 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2003
4935 posts
95 upvotes
Time to move on. I think the troll is gone.
This space for rent.
Jan 4, 2009
663 posts
21 upvotes
Mississauga
Coke355mL, are you some kind of CIBC PR person ? :D
Sep 4, 2012
1 posts
HAMILTON
I am in my last year in Uni (taking up IT specializing in Business Analysis) It's not far from finance or any money-related field really as I get to study accounting and finance as well. I also have years of experience in customer service and sales, and I would like to work at a financial institution, just to get my foot in the door (I want to focus more into business rather than IT).

My question is: HOW DO I GET A CSR/TELLER JOB AT ANY BANK?

I thought of faxing my resume directly to the HR department of any bank. HR fax/telephone numbers, however are not available for public. I even called the main office of Scotiabank, BMO, CIBC, TD to ask for their HR fax/tel number but they don't want to give it to me.Whenever banks post a job position online, I immediately apply for it. But I have been doing it for years now, and I have not received a single call from them. I don't even think employers look at their online database anymore.

I have heard that most of the time, it's not about WHAT you know in order to get a job. It's about WHO you know. ALL my family members are in the medical field, they mostly work in either hospital or a clinic. So it's hard for me to find someone who can hook me up for a job at a bank.

How will I get a job at a bank? Should I call the branch managers and tell them I'm interested in the position? Mail the main office my resume and cover letter? E-mail the main office my resume and cover letter? Please help!?

Thanks!
Banned
Jul 8, 2009
4006 posts
122 upvotes
How much does a cibc district branch manager make?
Jan 7, 2013
36 posts
MISSISSAUGA
aclm88 wrote:
Sep 5th, 2012 5:48 pm
I am in my last year in Uni (taking up IT specializing in Business Analysis) It's not far from finance or any money-related field really as I get to study accounting and finance as well. I also have years of experience in customer service and sales, and I would like to work at a financial institution, just to get my foot in the door (I want to focus more into business rather than IT).

My question is: HOW DO I GET A CSR/TELLER JOB AT ANY BANK?

I thought of faxing my resume directly to the HR department of any bank. HR fax/telephone numbers, however are not available for public. I even called the main office of Scotiabank, BMO, CIBC, TD to ask for their HR fax/tel number but they don't want to give it to me.Whenever banks post a job position online, I immediately apply for it. But I have been doing it for years now, and I have not received a single call from them. I don't even think employers look at their online database anymore.

I have heard that most of the time, it's not about WHAT you know in order to get a job. It's about WHO you know. ALL my family members are in the medical field, they mostly work in either hospital or a clinic. So it's hard for me to find someone who can hook me up for a job at a bank.

How will I get a job at a bank? Should I call the branch managers and tell them I'm interested in the position? Mail the main office my resume and cover letter? E-mail the main office my resume and cover letter? Please help!?

Thanks!
Hey there, I am a new business college graduate and we've been told that if you want to get a job in the bank, dress up professionally and just walk into any branch. Ask for the branch manager, and sometimes they interview you on the spot. If not, then you will get a phone interview in 2 days. This is actually working because 3 of my classmates got their job this way (now 1 works at RBC and 2 work at Scotiabank).

I also did the online application for years, never got any response.... nothing. Just an email about 2-3 months after my application that "sorry, you're not the right candidate".....

Anyway, if you are still looking for a CSR/Teller position, I hope this helps.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
3909 posts
360 upvotes
Toronto
Let me get this straight...the OP slept his way into a teller position????
Let's Get You Married™
Sep 11, 2012
55 posts
3 upvotes
Saint John
Can couples work at same branch? I know a couple who works at same branch, I know a lot of companies are not encouraged or disallowed this. What about in CIBC?
Feb 28, 2013
945 posts
78 upvotes
Toronto
projectmoonlightcafe wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 2:46 pm
Let me get this straight...the OP slept his way into a teller position????
I know right? That's like sleeping your way into getting to be a team member at McDonald's. Pay is about the same too!
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2013
1836 posts
91 upvotes
NORTH YORK
This is an old thread but it's pretty funny. OP was a jaded ex-employee that lasted 7 months in the lowest bank position next to the toilet scrubbers. To top it off, he only got the job cause he slept with someone he met over the Internet.
Jul 9, 2008
407 posts
29 upvotes
Toronto
old thread but can someone advice or provide feedback.

Trying to help out a friend who had questions and just got hired as a FSR for CIBC north york call centre location.

The job posting stated the training will be for 6 months. Is this all classroom based from 9 to 5 pm?? or Hybrid based with hours all over the place?? How are the weekly tests like?

2) how difficult is the job?? How hard is it to make bonus?? As long as you follow advices, rebuttal can you do a good job and the sales will come??

3) To transition next into FSR 2, do you need CSC?? What are the differences between FSR and FSR 2??

4) anything thing else?
Mar 11, 2014
1 posts
Derivative wrote:
Aug 9th, 2011 3:58 pm
I can tell you first hand how dysfunctional this institution is. Ask me anything.
What happens to your benefits once you leave if you have worked there for less than a year?
Dec 30, 1969
1 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Derivative wrote:
Aug 9th, 2011 10:37 pm
I quit because 2 people quit at the same time and we were left with 3 tellers that had to deal thousands of clients in a day. Then of the 3, 1 ended up flying away randomly to Cuba and I was doing the job of like 3 people, doing overtime and not getting paid for it (hence so many class actions), and having an ABM that had less education than myself. Instead of getting in a temp teller we were left with 2 tellers for 3 months so that means no lunch breaks (not allowed). I left everyday with a splitting headache. How is it possible to sell if you have like 250+ transactions in a day and lineups with 30 people. Nightmare.

I believe they all pay roughly the same for the CSR role however RBC treats its tellers the best. They certainly have the easiest job since they aren't expected to sell at all. Make the client happy for what they originally came to the bank for. The way it should be.
I just want to correct this post I was working as a teller since 2010 april at RBC and there is was and always will be sales targets for CSR's and every year the targets got higher and higher its part of the job and the business so saying rbc tellers have the easiest job that's incorrect information.

I just left RBC to switch to CIBC and I love it.

for ANYONE applying to jobs at banks don't listen to anyones opinion about one bank because everyone will have something different to say at the end of the day a job with one of the 5 Canadian financial institutions is a great secure job to have with great benefits so don't let a chat board change your mind
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
34731 posts
1576 upvotes
Toronto
I worked at rbc for 2 years and we had no hard sales targets.
There was a weekly meeting about it... But there wasn't any referal trackig system on the computer. This was from 2007-2010
I was a CAO (admin assistant & front desk greeter) of the branch and got a $2k annual bonus with no sales really being tracked.

But i also worked @ big branches that had incredible portfolios due to the area. Like rosedale and yonge&st.claire, and branches in the beaches.

I now work @ bmo which has an aggressive sales culture, but realistic goals. You just have to find opportunity with every single customer. But they have treated me really well. I even quit on them to work somewhere else. Ish happened and i needed a job. I asked My old BM if i could have my old job back. She made a few calls and i was back to my old job at a branch 5 min away from home. All this with only a 1 week hiring period.

So yes its kinda true rbc doesnt have sales targets... Bc at td, bmo, cibc they're aggressive. But i thinks bmo is aggressive in a tactful way. Plenty of coaching and opportunity to learn... And targets are achievable. You need 3 referals (you sending someone into an office and the customer getting any product) walk ins count. And 1 credit card.
    [url=http://tinyurl.com/lbqqav3][size=100][B]
  • Urbanpoet's lottery pool is BACK![/B][/size][/url]
  • 2 Corinthians 5:7 "We Walk By Faith, Not By Sight."
Mar 28, 2013
205 posts
18 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
Wow has anyone thought of starting a union at the banks especially CIBC?
Jan 14, 2011
121 posts
9 upvotes
The banks are so large. Some of them have more than 40,000 employees. Each department seems to have its own culture. The culture seems to reflect the personality of the more dominant people at the department. Some departments that I worked at, the coworkers were like a family. At other departments the work conditions were intolerable. Depends on the job, the department and whom you are working with. I know of some success stories at the bank but many left with their tail between their legs. You have to make the right career decisions. Make sure to get along with most of your coworkers or there is not much point.
× < >