I want a cat...

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2013 12:22 am
Jan 7, 2013
30 posts
Richmond Hill
I would suggest visiting various locations and meet each cat. Get a feel for the personality you want, and compliments your lifestyle. Keep in mind kittens may playful when they're young, but after a few years all they want to do is sleep and eat. This coming from a tabby owner, however, laid back personality and not having to give too much attention to would suite my liking. Otherwise - enjoy!
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2007
1158 posts
Another vote for Bengals. I have two, each cost $600. The first was bought as a kitten, the other a 2-year old retired queen. They're amazing, and everyone who visits loves them.

Unless someone is home all day, you'll need two though. They're very social, so leaving one alone all day when you're at work is tough on them. Hence my second one, my situation changed where someone wasn't at home all day, so my first would run to block the door when I left for work, and be sitting there waiting when I got home with the puss-in-boots face, and wouldn't stop crawling on my shoulder or lap at every opportunity, so he needed company.

The cost can be under $1000 if you're buying them as a pet. You have to let the breeder know this, and then sign a contract that states you'll spay/neuter them (if the breeder doesn't have it done before releasing them to you). Then you'll have to provide the vet's proof that you had it done. They get expensive when you want them for breeding purposes. Kittens can be pricier, even as pets, because they're in higher demand. But if you don't mind one that's maybe 2 years old, retired breeders are often available.

One benefit of kittens though is that you can train them. Both of mine sleep all night (most of the time), and often don't bother getting up even after I'm getting ready in the morning. The first took some training as a kitten to accept this (weeks of late-night meowing and running around), the second took to it immediately, I assume because she mimicked the first, since I didn't have to do anything. My first guy is also much more of a lap cat. The second one will follow you around, hang out in the same room, and sleep against me on my bed at night, but isn't keen on getting pet or held. The first loves pets and cuddling. If this is because I've had him since he was a kitten, or just personality, I can't say.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2012
1425 posts
all my adopted cats were adults, kittens will grow old.... keep that in mind.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2007
5144 posts
bluenose2 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2013 11:31 pm
all my adopted cats were adults, kittens will grow old.... keep that in mind.
And they grow out of the kitten phase super quick (months). I hate it when people buy a kitten or puppy only because they are cute (Not saying OP is).
× < >