Home & Garden

I want to ditch Bell home phone - which VOIP is best?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 27th, 2015 5:19 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
May 26, 2011
1804 posts
476 upvotes
Vancouver
n-ster wrote: just prioritize the ATA in QoS and voila
I wish it were always that easy.

Some internet connections experience severe packet loss and jitter as utilization increases. I had a user tell me the other day that he experienced 20% packet loss (!!) at 100% utilization. Most symptoms are not that severe, but are prevalent enough that audio quality problems frequently occur when the internet connection is heavily loaded. If that does happen, the problem can be solved by using QoS to rate limit your internet connection to ~80% of its advertised measured speed, so that the link never nears saturation.

If you never have problems, that's great! You are not the majority. Audio quality issues with VoIP are incredibly common, and a large proportion of the problems are caused by poor quality bandwidth.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2005
3579 posts
610 upvotes
I use FPL for regular calls and voip.ms for overseas.

As for QoS, I also experience packet loss when my upstream is saturated causing problems with voip calls. I also don't like to limit my upstream to 80% so I just live with it since my upstream is usually fine.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41788 posts
30051 upvotes
Center of Universe
^ How often are you guys configuring the QoS?
This is what I read from Ooma's FAQ:
"For the most optimum results, it is best to configure your "Upstream Internet Speed" to be 15-20% less than your measured upstream bandwidth."
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2005
3579 posts
610 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: ^ How often are you guys configuring the QoS?
This is what I read from Ooma's FAQ:
"For the most optimum results, it is best to configure your "Upstream Internet Speed" to be 15-20% less than your measured upstream bandwidth."
How often? You should only configured once and be done. Unless you need to change the priorities...
Dec 28, 2010
700 posts
187 upvotes
Mississauga, Ontario
I have been with Vonage for four years now...no complaints and nice features. Easy to set-up.
Definitely recommended.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2005
3579 posts
610 upvotes
Anything where there is a monthly recurring fee seems like a waste when FPL is one time.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41788 posts
30051 upvotes
Center of Universe
crimsondr wrote: Anything where there is a monthly recurring fee seems like a waste when FPL is one time.
Agreed, but for the non-tech savvy who just wants a simple plug and play, with free technical support; anything less than what bhell and robbers charges is sill money saved and in your pocket.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2005
3579 posts
610 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: Agreed, but for the non-tech savvy who just wants a simple plug and play, with free technical support; anything less than what bhell and robbers charges is sill money saved and in your pocket.
This is true. I have many friends who are not techsavvy, but they have me to do the work for them.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41788 posts
30051 upvotes
Center of Universe
crimsondr wrote: This is true. I have many friends who are not techsavvy, but they have me to do the work for them.
I'm learning quite a bit from you guys and may make the switch from Ooma to FPL, after my year is up :)
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2005
3579 posts
610 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: I'm learning quite a bit from you guys and may make the switch from Ooma to FPL, after my year is up :)
I have a linksys PAP2T not OBiHAi but the setup is quite easy. All I had to do was fill out 3 or 4 fields in the configuration and I was done. The rest is plug and play.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2010
1873 posts
1204 upvotes
Montreal
PianoGuy wrote: I wish it were always that easy.

Some internet connections experience severe packet loss and jitter as utilization increases. I had a user tell me the other day that he experienced 20% packet loss (!!) at 100% utilization. Most symptoms are not that severe, but are prevalent enough that audio quality problems frequently occur when the internet connection is heavily loaded. If that does happen, the problem can be solved by using QoS to rate limit your internet connection to ~80% of its advertised measured speed, so that the link never nears saturation.

If you never have problems, that's great! You are not the majority. Audio quality issues with VoIP are incredibly common, and a large proportion of the problems are caused by poor quality bandwidth.
I don't see how 15-20% is necessary. I actually put a limit on my QoS... 14/9 and my advertised and measured speeds are 15/10. Unless your router sucks and can't handle the bandwidth or something, I have a hard time seeing how packet loss can happen. I actually set it up this way, ATA priority 1, web browsing priority 2, torrents lowest priority. Obviously using a 2wire Modem/Router won't do the job, get some decent ASUS router or something

Perhaps it's a matter of quality of your internet provider? I've only set-up VoIP with Viddeotron Cable or Fibre (business) internet connections
Jan 17, 2013
459 posts
81 upvotes
Sarnia
Ooma's mobile app with Premier Service has a mobile app for your Ipad that turns it into a phone you can use at any wifi hotspot . Also for any Ios or Android device. It allows you to make free calls from anywhere in the world back to Canada and the USA . You don't have to use your carriers minutes or long distance rates. If you call over wifi to another country not Canada or the USA it goes on your Ooma long distance rates which are quite inexpensive.
May 29, 2012
624 posts
256 upvotes
Southern Ontario
n-ster wrote: I don't see how 15-20% is necessary. I actually put a limit on my QoS... 14/9 and my advertised and measured speeds are 15/10. Unless your router sucks and can't handle the bandwidth or something, I have a hard time seeing how packet loss can happen. I actually set it up this way, ATA priority 1, web browsing priority 2, torrents lowest priority. [B]Obviously using a 2wire Modem/Router won't do the job, get some decent ASUS router or something[/B]

Perhaps it's a matter of quality of your internet provider? I've only set-up VoIP with Viddeotron Cable or Fibre (business) internet connections
HAHA currently running the 2 wire modem.

Im still researching from the time of my last post but do these companies sell a decent modem at a fair price or would I be better off buying one from a retailer?

If you suggest buy it from retailer I wouldn't mind a link to a suggested model
still leaning towards START for my internet and home phone