Pets

I want to get a Dobermann...what do I need to know?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 26th, 2016 8:12 am
Tags:
Apr 25, 2011
901 posts
431 upvotes
British Columbia
I can't really say that's a decent reason... You need to be able to commit to their needed exercise and mental stimulation requirements as well as know how to properly train them and socialize them. That means you need to go running or biking or hiking with them or have them well socialized enough to take them to dog parks... or you'll have one bored dog. A bored dog is not a good dog.

I would again seriously consider a different, less intense, breed.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
4232 posts
1497 upvotes
Karala wrote:
Oct 14th, 2016 11:38 pm
I can't really say that's a decent reason... You need to be able to commit to their needed exercise and mental stimulation requirements as well as know how to properly train them and socialize them. That means you need to go running or biking or hiking with them or have them well socialized enough to take them to dog parks... or you'll have one bored dog. A bored dog is not a good dog.

I would again seriously consider a different, less intense, breed.
Ok. Thanks for your advice. I am not about to make a knee jerk decision. I will take some time to evaluate.
Jan 15, 2013
349 posts
29 upvotes
Oakville
I'm in similar situation ... I want to get a doberman as well because my brother used to have one and just grow to like them but my brother told me that it take a lot to train them and keep them active which I'm not too keen on that because I will probably live in a low rise/stacked condo first and then a house in the future. so I don't think it would be fair to get an active dog breed while I live in a condo

now I have no idea on what breed to get... I want to get a medium size, short hair, easy to train, moderate active (can handle walking for long time and a coach potato inside)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
4232 posts
1497 upvotes
toshibaaa wrote:
Oct 15th, 2016 12:55 am
I'm in similar situation ... I want to get a doberman as well because my brother used to have one and just grow to like them but my brother told me that it take a lot to train them and keep them active which I'm not too keen on that because I will probably live in a low rise/stacked condo first and then a house in the future. so I don't think it would be fair to get an active dog breed while I live in a condo

now I have no idea on what breed to get... I want to get a medium size, short hair, easy to train, moderate active (can handle walking for long time and a coach potato inside)
I relayed the reaction in this thread to a friend of mine and he recommended a whippet instead. They are medium-sized, short haired, have gentle temperaments and surprisingly sedentary, making them good house pets or even condo pets. They can be active when outside but when indoors, can spend the whole day sleeping. I will be looking into whippets a bit more but my first choice would be to get a doberman Disappointed Face
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
2451 posts
642 upvotes
Kingston
MrsPotato wrote:
Oct 14th, 2016 12:57 am
I won't comment on the ear cropping, however tail docking isn't for strictly for look purposes; anyone with a very long tailed dog (Dane, uncropped vizsla) will know the struggle of the broken tail and how often they need to be amputated because of them flailing around and hitting walls ect. And then rotting off.
Docking a tail later in life is far more painful and a much larger procedure!
I have two bouvier cross dogs with massive tails and no issues. I also know of a few breeders that won't tail dock dogs. I see both the docking and ear cropping as unnecessary and rather cruel.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2542 posts
624 upvotes
Toronto
ilove wrote:
Oct 14th, 2016 11:25 pm
To answer your question as to why I want a doberman, my family used to have a Doberman/German Shepherd mix when I was young. She was the most beautiful dog ever. She was such a gentle soul too. I have been obsessed with Dobermans lately. Yes they look good to boot.
Where do you currently live? What's your housing situation?
How much time will your dog be alone for?
How much can you budget to a pet each month?
How much time will you be able to invest in your dog?

The reason I ask these questions; to feed a Doberman, it can easily get into the $150-200 mth range, as they're prone to gastric issues and do best on a raw food diet.
They are working dogs; and they hate being alone. They have very specific exercise and mental working requirements and need adiquite training/exercise or you'll see the results of a very bored, intelligent breed; serious destruction. I've seen dobes dog through drywall.

Doberman are a vocal breed. In other words, they bark. So if you want a quiet dog, avoid this one! They talk and they're reactive breeders (hear noise at the door, hallway, elevator, outside on the street, ect) -- they'll be up when you're not, looking for sounds you don't hear.

Vet care. Yeah, this cost can dig a big hole fast.
lol ...
Jun 23, 2011
12 posts
All good questions by MrsPotato.

I have an almost 3yr old doberman and he is a handful. Although I knew that before going into it so no surprises for me. He has been in training since 3 months old and still goes. This is a working dog breed and requires a lot of time. He is currently involved in a working dog sport called Shutzhund and participates in training 3 times a week so he's worked both mentally and physically.

Having him is extremely rewarding because he is well behaved but I also know he would be an absolute disaster just as a house pet. The odd time when I go on vacation and my fiance or parents have to watch him he does not behave at all. They are a smart breed and know who they can take advantage of.

Costs aside (which are high), just know this is a breed that can't relax at home. I spend most of my time at home entertaining him until he's tired and when he's recharged (after an hour or two) I'm right back into tiring him out.

I would not get a doberman unless you're willing to put in this amount of time and effort or you're only going to end up with an unruly dog.
MrsPotato wrote:
Oct 17th, 2016 10:21 am
ilove wrote:
Oct 14th, 2016 11:25 pm
To answer your question as to why I want a doberman, my family used to have a Doberman/German Shepherd mix when I was young. She was the most beautiful dog ever. She was such a gentle soul too. I have been obsessed with Dobermans lately. Yes they look good to boot.
Where do you currently live? What's your housing situation?
How much time will your dog be alone for?
How much can you budget to a pet each month?
How much time will you be able to invest in your dog?

The reason I ask these questions; to feed a Doberman, it can easily get into the $150-200 mth range, as they're prone to gastric issues and do best on a raw food diet.
They are working dogs; and they hate being alone. They have very specific exercise and mental working requirements and need adiquite training/exercise or you'll see the results of a very bored, intelligent breed; serious destruction. I've seen dobes dog through drywall.

Doberman are a vocal breed. In other words, they bark. So if you want a quiet dog, avoid this one! They talk and they're reactive breeders (hear noise at the door, hallway, elevator, outside on the street, ect) -- they'll be up when you're not, looking for sounds you don't hear.

Vet care. Yeah, this cost can dig a big hole fast.
lol ...
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
5824 posts
1335 upvotes
Mississauga
Get a Bernese Mountain dog.