Careers

I want to get into audio/video as a technician - anyone have advice?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 7th, 2017 7:12 pm
[OP]
May 29, 2017
15 posts
2 upvotes

I want to get into audio/video as a technician - anyone have advice?

my back ground is electronic engineering -2 years college

I want to go into that field but my work experience doesn't really benefit it at all; however, i want to get a career that can transition better than the one im in (it desktop support)
2 replies
Dec 15, 2015
144 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto
Cnsr0033 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 7:16 pm
my back ground is electronic engineering -2 years college

I want to go into that field but my work experience doesn't really benefit it at all; however, i want to get a career that can transition better than the one im in (it desktop support)
Just went on indeed and found a bunch of jobs with most of the skills required being:
- Install low voltage cabling, wiring, termination, rack building and equipment as per project company standards.
- Troubleshoot and service installed systems and components.
- Review and understand schematics, technical drawings & equipment lists.
- Providing end user system training when required.

If you didn't cover any of this in your two year elec tech program ask for a refund. I came from the two year elec tech background and I most definitely covered all of those and most of the jobs I was offered were for AV companies or control system companies ( Durell, ext)
Dec 2, 2014
398 posts
122 upvotes
London, ON
I interviewed for an A/V position out of school (four years ago) with a university. I was in an unrelated field but was able to score an interview due to my hobbyist interest in analog A/V equipment and did quite well. Ultimately I was beat out by an internal candidate but I imagine the training you received at college was better for the role than what I did at university so, if you have that knowledge/experience, definitely leverage it in a cover letter.