Shopping Discussion

I want an item from Ebay, but the seller does not ship to Canada :/ What can I do?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 27th, 2011 12:29 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2009
1138 posts
180 upvotes
Toronto

I want an item from Ebay, but the seller does not ship to Canada :/ What can I do?

I can't visit the border yet, don't have my visa to go over. :evil: Though, my brother is staying in Florida for a few weeks, when he comes back up is it possible for him to pick up the item, how?

Anyways, I was wondering what kind of services are available to me if I want it shipped here via some proxies, which ones are the best? Any other suggestions?

Thanks for looking at my post guys,

If you can, please help me. :D

Off Topic:

P.S. the Sens deconstruction is pretty interesting, watch it while you can. :facepalm:
[QUOTE]Bucian66: I hate how condescending some users are towards others. I just wish they would be banned. Earlier: At least I've actually put effort in posting links to show the pricing. What have you done? No links to last years Black Friday sales? No links to Boxing Day sales? What a troll.[/QUOTE]
10 replies
Mar 18, 2002
457 posts
73 upvotes
Toronto, ON
don't know about proxy service, however you can email the seller and ask about shipping to Canada. Many sellers select by default no international, however they don't have issue with shipping to Canada.
I have bought 1/2 of my things in the old days this way.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2009
1138 posts
180 upvotes
Toronto
mbalgavy wrote:
Feb 26th, 2011 2:23 pm
don't know about proxy service, however you can email the seller and ask about shipping to Canada. Many sellers select by default no international, however they don't have issue with shipping to Canada.
I have bought 1/2 of my things in the old days this way.

Sadly the guy didn't respond when I asked him to ship to Canada (I have the best Ebay rep ever), it's an auction anyway. Some are pretty bent on not shipping to Canada, crazy stuff, must hate us for some reason.
[QUOTE]Bucian66: I hate how condescending some users are towards others. I just wish they would be banned. Earlier: At least I've actually put effort in posting links to show the pricing. What have you done? No links to last years Black Friday sales? No links to Boxing Day sales? What a troll.[/QUOTE]
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4263 posts
476 upvotes
Barrys Bay
It comes done to shipping cost and time to get to customer.

Some think $10 usd shipping is high states wide,,,, but in canada $20 + usually paid on high ticket items.

As well, once item leaves you country hard tracking doing a claim, so lots are worried. As well can take up to 2 weeks to get here.

Email him back asking his zipcode and then calculate shipping on estimated weight size of item and take on $10-15 and email him back with pricing and see if he accepts. I've got a few doen thsi way when headstrong on not shipping to canada, also tel them, you pay customs.....thast why most get scared and don;t offer canada shipping
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2009
1138 posts
180 upvotes
Toronto
[QUOTE]I'll see if the guy responds this time, let's hope. xD
I don't want to be too annoying, however, this man seems very cold.[/QUOTE]

Edit: Seller doesn't respond, what a drag... :(
Oct 26, 2009
151 posts
7 upvotes
PhysicalTorque wrote:
Feb 26th, 2011 7:11 pm
Edit: Seller doesn't respond, what a drag... :(

If a seller doesn't respond after a certain amount of time, I wouldn't deal with them even if they did ship to Canada. Imagine trying to get a hold of them if something goes wrong?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2009
1138 posts
180 upvotes
Toronto
gnihuis wrote:
Feb 26th, 2011 7:57 pm
If a seller doesn't respond after a certain amount of time, I wouldn't deal with them even if they did ship to Canada. Imagine trying to get a hold of them if something goes wrong?

Ya got that right Genius, he is so cruel. :D

But he has 100% feedback, I think it is just the ''I hate Canada because I watch too much South Park'' thing. :lol:

Thanks for cheering me up guy.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
2619 posts
271 upvotes
PhysicalTorque wrote:
Feb 26th, 2011 8:05 pm
Ya got that right Genius, he is so cruel. :D

But he has 100% feedback, I think it is just the ''I hate Canada because I watch too much South Park'' thing. :lol:

Thanks for cheering me up guy.

feedback is about $6 per hundred. he doesnt ship to canada because idiots like you rate him low for slow shipping through customs.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6218 posts
870 upvotes
mtseymourguy wrote:
Feb 27th, 2011 11:22 am
he doesnt ship to canada because idiots like you rate him low for slow shipping through customs.
+1
Yup. If the Canadian buyer doesn't get his stuff in a few days he freaks out and starts hassling the seller with "where is it?" emails. And then they give poor feedback for the slow transit time once they finally do get the goods as if the seller is responsible for customs delays. Also the high shipping costs to Canada give another excuse to the buyer to give poor feedback. Who needs that kind of grief from foreigners?

Frankly the non-response from the seller is perfectly explainable. He states in his auction that that he doesn't ship to Canada. There is no need for him to spend time responding to a question when you already know his answer.

By the way some sellers may not ship to third party addresses because they lose Paypal seller protection. They obviously can't prove that the item was shipped to your address on record at Paypal.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2005
1528 posts
182 upvotes
Burnaby
PhysicalTorque wrote:
Feb 26th, 2011 2:27 pm
Some are pretty bent on not shipping to Canada, crazy stuff, must hate us for some reason.
With Canadians demonstrating that kind of logic, it would be no wonder if Americans should refuse to ship here on philosophical grounds.

I think it's merely a matter of "why bother?" The US domestic market is still the world's richest and offers up over 300 million potential customers. For the typical small businessperson who's content with his sales volume, the huge extra effort and risk involved in international shipping isn't justified by a modest increase on the bottom line.
Jan 3, 2010
120 posts
15 upvotes
As a rule of thumb, I don't harrass eBay sellers who say they won't ship to Canada. I'll just give my business to those that will.

If an auction doesn't state "no international shipping", or "I ship to the US only" I will ask about them if they will ship to me. (Most have "US only" as their default, so I look in the actual auction text.) Usually they respond that they will but it will be more expensive. If they don't respond, I don't bother.

Also, when I compose my message I let them know I am aware of the high costs. If a seller sends it First Class Mail there is no tracking or insurance, and many sellers won't ship without these options or they end up eating any disputes. I usually word it something like "Hi there, I was wondering if you would ship this item to Canada (city, postal code)? I realize shipping takes a bit longer, and that the cost of USPS Priority Mail International (with tracking and insurance) is usually $25 and up - that's not an issue for me since I really, really want your item. Thanks for your time!"

99% of the time I get a positive response. Sometimes they opt to quote shipping for First Class Mail and take the risk anyway - it doesn't really slow down shipping, and I've only had 2 packages in 5 years go missing (and at least 1 turned out to be a deadbeat seller.) The only time I'd get pissy after that is if they charged me PMI prices, then threw a couple of stamps on the package and sent it on the cheap. But after payment and shipping I usually ask for the tracking number so I can keep an eye on progress -- our office manager likes to sign for stuff then forget to give us a notice for 2 or 3 weeks.

As others said, if a seller won't reply to your messages it means that a) they won't ship to Canada at all, b) they've expressly stated they won't and are irritated by your question (and probably b*tch about you in the seller's forum), or c) they are the kind of slow responding seller you don't want to deal with in case of an issue. On the other hand, I've asked questions on items that didn't sell, THEN received a response that they will ship to Canada and will relist it with that option for me. Depends how badly they want the sale.

My pet peeve in listing stuff on Craigslist lately are the "I'll give you xxx" for an item -- xxx being sometimes half the price it's listed for. If I'm juggling 4 or 5 different people who are interested in paying my price, I won't respond at all. Hell - chances are I'd rather give it away for free to a friend than to sell it at a loss to someone so cheap. So I don't even bother answering those inquiries (I used to respond with a simple "The price is xxx. If you're interested, let me know when you'll be by." - now I don't even bother.) No response should be taken as a resounding "NO" - not a "message me 5x a day then resort to insults to get the price you want." Lol