Travel

I will be in on the Big Island of Hawaii from Nov 12-21. Any suggestion of where to stay and what I have to do?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 6th, 2017 12:45 pm
Sep 25, 2001
633 posts
141 upvotes
Victoria, BC

I will be in on the Big Island of Hawaii from Nov 12-21. Any suggestion of where to stay and what I have to do?

I have a couple of days of work and have a car for the whole time. I am pretty flexible so am looking for a place to stay (can be multiple places) and what should I not miss?

Thanks in advance!
13 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
9183 posts
3861 upvotes
Toronto
What would you like to do?

In the east side, Hilo is an industrial town. But it's where cruise ships doc and there is an airport with car rental places, where people rent car and tour around. Many people go to the Volcano National Park. South of Hilo there are a few things to see, Kanapana where there was volcano lava flow (that wiped out an entire town), with the remains looking quite out of this world. There's Lava Tree park, Red Wood Drive, Macadamia farm, etc.

The west coast is more interesting with many beaches, lots of places for snorkeling and diving. There is a world famous Manta Ray dive at night, can snorkel too. There are many Kona coffee farm, some have tours. The cruise ships tender into Kona-Kailua port. There are deep sea fishing, or just boat tours to see dolphins and depending on season to see whales. The spinner dolphins are great to see, they jump out of the water, spin around many times (as if dancing for you), before hitting the water again.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2010
6237 posts
2992 upvotes
If only there was a search function on here that covers this exact question...hmm. :rolleyes:

Mauna Kea FTW
Sep 25, 2001
633 posts
141 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Arrgh wrote: What would you like to do?

In the east side, Hilo is an industrial town. But it's where cruise ships doc and there is an airport with car rental places, where people rent car and tour around. Many people go to the Volcano National Park. South of Hilo there are a few things to see, Kanapana where there was volcano lava flow (that wiped out an entire town), with the remains looking quite out of this world. There's Lava Tree park, Red Wood Drive, Macadamia farm, etc.

The west coast is more interesting with many beaches, lots of places for snorkeling and diving. There is a world famous Manta Ray dive at night, can snorkel too. There are many Kona coffee farm, some have tours. The cruise ships tender into Kona-Kailua port. There are deep sea fishing, or just boat tours to see dolphins and depending on season to see whales. The spinner dolphins are great to see, they jump out of the water, spin around many times (as if dancing for you), before hitting the water again.
I am a big hiker and would love to see places that off the beaten path. I have 4 wheel drive Jeep booked so should help me get away from the usual. We are planning on circling the island. Snorkeling sounds good, any suggestions for the best places?
May 28, 2012
12484 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
You are going next week and don't have accommodations yet? TripAdvisor has some really knowledgable experts in the Hawaii forum; make sure to post (or read threads) in the Big Island subforum.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
9183 posts
3861 upvotes
Toronto
Thumper wrote: I am a big hiker and would love to see places that off the beaten path. I have 4 wheel drive Jeep booked so should help me get away from the usual. We are planning on circling the island. Snorkeling sounds good, any suggestions for the best places?
You can drive all over then, to Kapoho, to Kanapana, The Red Road. There you can see tide pools, black sand beach, etc.,

Snorkeling/diving is in the west coast, where you'll probably spend more time. Lots of good places to snorkel. But if you have time to go south to Place of Refuge, Two steps, or Kaleakala Bay, Capt. Cook's monument (need to be on boat or kayak to get there). Definitely do the night snorkel/dive with Manta Rays.
Sep 25, 2001
633 posts
141 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Mars2012 wrote: You are going next week and don't have accommodations yet? TripAdvisor has some really knowledgable experts in the Hawaii forum; make sure to post (or read threads) in the Big Island subforum.
Thanks for the TripAdvisor advices, I'll take a look. The trip is for work. Last minute booking, etc. I am more about places to see than where I stay. I like doing the B&B thing and talking to the locals.
Sep 25, 2001
633 posts
141 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Arrgh wrote: You can drive all over then, to Kapoho, to Kanapana, The Red Road. There you can see tide pools, black sand beach, etc.,

Snorkeling/diving is in the west coast, where you'll probably spend more time. Lots of good places to snorkel. But if you have time to go south to Place of Refuge, Two steps, or Kaleakala Bay, Capt. Cook's monument (need to be on boat or kayak to get there). Definitely do the night snorkel/dive with Manta Rays.
Thanks for the ideas Arrgh. I'll do some digging and plans.
Jan 17, 2017
258 posts
153 upvotes
If snorkeling interests you and you haven't booked a place, the Mauna Lani condo complex has really nice snorkeling at their club beach (usually described as some of the best in the state). I definitely found the snorkeling there much better than Two Step and better than Kealakekua (Cpt Cook). Note that this is the beach for condos, not the two hotels. You'd likely use VRBO. Not sure how many 1 bedroom condos there are though.

One thing you can do for snorkeling and the fact you said you enjoy hiking, you can hike down into Kealakekua (Cpt Cook). Not sure how official the trail is, but I didn't have any issues 2 years ago. Note it is quite open and big ascent coming back up, so bring lots of water.

Hopefully this link works: https://goo.gl/maps/qp3o31CdJtM2

BTW VRBO is more common than B&B. Also know that the state has cracked down on illegal rentals (including AirB&B).

Otherwise for hiking, Waipi'o valley I heard was good. Never made it to the hike as we were hiked out at that point in the trip. Volcano National Park had alot of great hikes. You might want to book an overnight near Volcano or Hilo to explore the park thoroughly.
Oct 26, 2009
39 posts
16 upvotes
Ottawa
If you're looking for budget accommodations (RFD style), check out Arnott's Lodge in Hilo. It's a friendly hostel-type place with private rooms as well. The location is an easy drive to many great attractions.

I was there in Jan 2017. Really enjoyed stargazing at Mauna Kea, renting a bike to see the lava flow at Kalapana, hiking in Volcano National Park, Ahalanui hot springs, driving along spectacular shoreline on route 137. Tons of stuff to do.
Sep 25, 2001
633 posts
141 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Soty613 wrote: If snorkeling interests you and you haven't booked a place, the Mauna Lani condo complex has really nice snorkeling at their club beach (usually described as some of the best in the state). I definitely found the snorkeling there much better than Two Step and better than Kealakekua (Cpt Cook). Note that this is the beach for condos, not the two hotels. You'd likely use VRBO. Not sure how many 1 bedroom condos there are though.

One thing you can do for snorkeling and the fact you said you enjoy hiking, you can hike down into Kealakekua (Cpt Cook). Not sure how official the trail is, but I didn't have any issues 2 years ago. Note it is quite open and big ascent coming back up, so bring lots of water.

Hopefully this link works: https://goo.gl/maps/qp3o31CdJtM2

BTW VRBO is more common than B&B. Also know that the state has cracked down on illegal rentals (including AirB&B).

Otherwise for hiking, Waipi'o valley I heard was good. Never made it to the hike as we were hiked out at that point in the trip. Volcano National Park had alot of great hikes. You might want to book an overnight near Volcano or Hilo to explore the park thoroughly.
Soty613 I am having a hard time identifying Mauna Lani condo through Google. Was it Mauna Lani Terrace?

Thanks for the info.
Sep 25, 2001
633 posts
141 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Chart-one wrote: If you're looking for budget accommodations (RFD style), check out Arnott's Lodge in Hilo. It's a friendly hostel-type place with private rooms as well. The location is an easy drive to many great attractions.

I was there in Jan 2017. Really enjoyed stargazing at Mauna Kea, renting a bike to see the lava flow at Kalapana, hiking in Volcano National Park, Ahalanui hot springs, driving along spectacular shoreline on route 137. Tons of stuff to do.
Thanks for the good ideas. We want to spend 4 days on the west side and 4 exploring around Hilo and north side(never been there before). Usually I only stay for a day or two for work by myself without a car.
Nov 26, 2004
162 posts
7 upvotes
Are you guys hiring? I wish my work sends me to Big Island lol.

As a few have suggested, I also recommend Mauna Kea and hiking Volcano National Park. You might also want to check out Waipio Valley. It's roughly a 90mins drive north from Kailua Kona. And also green sand beach, 90mins drive south from Kailua Kona.

Here is a tip if you plan on renting a bike to see the lava flow at Kalapana. The paved road ends near midway of the trail and the road is covered by small rocks after. I saw some people struggled riding their bike at that point.
Jan 17, 2017
258 posts
153 upvotes
Thumper wrote: Soty613 I am having a hard time identifying Mauna Lani condo through Google. Was it Mauna Lani Terrace?

Thanks for the info.
Search for mauna lani on VRBO and you can see whats available. Mauna Lani is a master resort with various condo communities, Terrace being one of them, golf courses, and two hotels. Most of the condos are not oceanfront, so you have to walk or drive to the beach club. The further ones are obviously less expensive. This all depends on whether you want condo vs hotel of course.. and budget.

The Waikoloa resort just south of Mauna Lani is the same concept.

If you wanted ocean/beach side, then likely need hotel or stay in Kona.

Quick note, snorkeling conditions are generally best in summer months, so at this time of the year, nothing is guaranteed. I wouldn't necessarily plan my stay just around snorkeling,