Computers & Electronics

I7 8700k/Coffee Lake order waiting thread.

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 16th, 2017 8:01 pm
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2004
21649 posts
2405 upvotes
Definitely not an 8700k (have absolutely no use for that kind of overkill) but I bought an 8100 from CC locally. At $155 it was $5 more expensive than other places but NewEgg ran out of stock and had $6 shipping anyway, meaning it's about the same. Could have ordered from Mike's as well for $147 but no stock there either. Just bought it where I could get it and have it in-hand and not have to worry about stock. As I said elsewhere it's possible this CPU will be in plentiful supply but it's also possible it won't be given the same has happened to all Intel value-leader processors of the past where the price goes up and supply becomes non-existent. instead of having that happen I just bought one now, without even a mobo to run it on yet. Trying to wait for more ITX boards to come out, I don't mind buying a Z but pretty much the only ITX board you can even buy right now is the Asus Z370-I which is nice enough but I'd rather have some more options first.

Would have gone for an 8350K if it was $199, but at $230 it's not justifiable. I said "never again" to buying any CPU over $200 a long time ago (C2D days) and I've never budged from that since, and really no reason to do so given the 8100 looks like a gem at $150.
[OP]
Sep 1, 2011
233 posts
111 upvotes
Toronto
I goofed. Called them at 7:45 (CC - Mississauga store) and they had 4 in stock (I'm in downtown Toronto). They could reserve for pickup, but said I'd probably get one if I got there at opening. I'm off today, so there's no problem. Wake up, and now there's 0 in stock in Mississauga. Why, oh why didn't I purchase online for in-store pickup?! Ugh. Oh well.
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2006
4474 posts
196 upvotes
thearcade wrote:
Oct 20th, 2017 6:44 am
I goofed. Called them at 7:45 (CC - Mississauga store) and they had 4 in stock (I'm in downtown Toronto). They could reserve for pickup, but said I'd probably get one if I got there at opening. I'm off today, so there's no problem. Wake up, and now there's 0 in stock in Mississauga. Why, oh why didn't I purchase online for in-store pickup?! Ugh. Oh well.
Milton has one in stock.
C:\RFD>ih8lowballers.bat_
[OP]
Sep 1, 2011
233 posts
111 upvotes
Toronto
TypeVR6 wrote:
Oct 20th, 2017 7:28 am
Milton has one in stock.
Yeah. That's just... Maybe a touch farther than I'm willing to go. Mississauga is my limit I think. But I'm seriously thinking about it.
Oct 19, 2017
3 posts
I've ordered mine from NCIX on october 5th at 15:40pm.
They were showing in stock until late morning october 6th...
But they havent shipped mine yet, still on the waiting list!!
[OP]
Sep 1, 2011
233 posts
111 upvotes
Toronto
Askold wrote:
Oct 20th, 2017 11:22 am
I've ordered mine from NCIX on october 5th at 15:40pm.
They were showing in stock until late morning october 6th...
But they havent shipped mine yet, still on the waiting list!!
With everything going on at NCIX recently, I'd be nervous about it.
[OP]
Sep 1, 2011
233 posts
111 upvotes
Toronto
Askold wrote:
Oct 20th, 2017 12:54 pm
What is going on se NCIX??
There's a whole thread on it re: NCIX closing, and not paying suppliers.
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2004
21649 posts
2405 upvotes
thearcade wrote:
Oct 20th, 2017 6:44 am
You definitely did goof. They offered to reserve you one and you did what exactly? Told them, "nah bro, I'm just gonna come in and get it"? LOL. If someone offers to reserve/hold something for you that you definitely want to purchase, definitely take them up on that offer ;)
Askold wrote:
Oct 20th, 2017 12:54 pm
What is going on se NCIX??
Unfortunately you goofed too :( NCIX has gone downhill...wayyy downhill, as of late. Perhaps you can cancel but the problem with NCIX is, unlike many other retailers, their policy on orders of things OOS is to charge you for them when ordered, not when shipped, meaning you've already given them the funds. I never used to see the problem with this (and actually ordered things from them a few times like this) but now it's a whole different story. It seriously seems like it's not long before they close their doors permanently :S
[OP]
Sep 1, 2011
233 posts
111 upvotes
Toronto
ES_Revenge wrote:
Oct 21st, 2017 7:20 pm
You definitely did goof. They offered to reserve you one and you did what exactly? Told them, "nah bro, I'm just gonna come in and get it"? LOL. If someone offers to reserve/hold something for you that you definitely want to purchase, definitely take them up on that offer ;)
Oh no, they didn't offer that. I actually asked to pay over the phone (I didn't realize that if you ordered online for in store pick up, it resulted in the purchase of the in store stock -- I thought the warehouse would ship to store, instead). No, he specifically told me to come in person the next morning, but the next morning stock was gone -- which is when I realized that I COULD have bought one of the in-store items online. Won't make that mistake again.
[OP]
Sep 1, 2011
233 posts
111 upvotes
Toronto
thearcade wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2017 12:56 pm
Oh no, they didn't offer that. I actually asked to pay over the phone (I didn't realize that if you ordered online for in store pick up, it resulted in the purchase of the in store stock -- I thought the warehouse would ship to store, instead). No, he specifically told me to come in person the next morning, but the next morning stock was gone -- which is when I realized that I COULD have bought one of the in-store items online. Won't make that mistake again.

Ah, I just saw my original post. Typo/autocorrect. It should have read they COULDN'T reserve for in store pickup. Now I understand why you're being so hard on me, lol. :)
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2008
1243 posts
286 upvotes
mississauga
after the 8400 for my budget build, still waiting for the motherboards to go down in price though. Its funny, the 8400 beats the ryzen 1800x in most current games, that will change in the future im sure as dx12 gets more fleshed out.
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2004
21649 posts
2405 upvotes
thearcade wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2017 12:58 pm

Ah, I just saw my original post. Typo/autocorrect. It should have read they COULDN'T reserve for in store pickup. Now I understand why you're being so hard on me, lol. :)
Ohh yeah that makes a lot more sense now! Did you end up getting your CPU elsewhere yet?

I'm on the fence about boards and there are very few in the ITX category, unfortunately. A couple from AssRock, one from Asus, and one from MSI. There's some more announced (Gigabyte, eVGA) but these don't even have retailer listings anywhere yet. The Asus Strix Z370-I looks good but it lacks HDMI 2.0 (which I initially thought didn't require a separate LSPCon/Thunderbolt for CL but looks like that's still the case). Also it has USB 3.1 Gen2 but only via front panel header, no ports on it are actually Gen2. OTOH it has two m.2s and the nifty m.2/chipset integrated heatsink. MSI's offering has USB Gen2 on it but is also HDMI 1.4. AsRock's Fatal1ty board has Thunderbolt (which I honestly don't care for but it enables HDMI 2.0 which I mildly care for), but totally lacks USB Gen2 altogether. Plus it's AsRock :( They're all pricey Z boards (~$250) too, so board selection definitely sucks right now esp. if you're looking at SFF stuff. Good news is I'm content to play the waiting game.
msz87 wrote:
Oct 24th, 2017 8:49 pm
after the 8400 for my budget build, still waiting for the motherboards to go down in price though. Its funny, the 8400 beats the ryzen 1800x in most current games, that will change in the future im sure as dx12 gets more fleshed out.
LOL Ryzen. Ryzen is NOT for gaming! The only people that will tell you otherwise are the vast number of AMD fanboys (shareholders, company workers, and just plain fanboys) on RFD who basically just downvote any truthful comments about Ryzen because they want to protect their interest/bottom line :rolleyes: They will downvote away :rolleyes: on people that merely present facts and objective, quantitative data that clearly show Ryzen is sub-optimal not just for gaming but also for the majority of mainstream/"regular people" use. It's not beneficial or a good buy at all under $600; and with the advent of CL it's actually overpriced below that level. 1600 is more money than 8400 and performs worse and has no iGPU. Yet "Team AMD_RFD" there will downvote you for pointing out such facts!

And DX12 my behind. It's not going to change in any near future, and if it ever does change perhaps Ryzen will gain some footing and maybe equal CL, it's not going to surpass it. And by that time hardcore gamers will be upgrading to IceLake and possibly Ryzen2 (or whatever they will call it) so it won't matter. Some people said the same crap about Phenom--"oh yeah just wait until it's optimised for 6 cores and the architecture" lol, LMAO. Some 10 years later maybe and by that time the CPU is so grossly outdated it doesn't mean a damn thing.

Ryzen is not terrible and again if not for Ryzen we wouldn't have the CL offerings we have now, but it's just not great and it's pretty poor for gaming relatively speaking and it's grossly overpriced until you get to the high-dollar segments which most of us aren't interested in.

Here's Ryzen getting annihilated by an i3 in a brand-new, just released game, Destiny 2:
https://www.gamersnexus.net/game-bench/ ... -kaby-lake

That's right an un-overclocked 8350K beats up badly on Ryzen. There's nothing wrong with 166 FPS avg and 116 FPS 1% low at 1440p, right? It's pretty darn good on paper. But consider that the 8350K is at 185 FPS and 121 on 1% low. Now consider the 1700 is overclocked to get its numbers (the lollerskates of an "OC" of 3.9Ghz but it's still OC'd)! Then consider the price difference between a 1700 and an 8350K. Then consider the 1700 doesn't have an iGPU (now no one is going to use that for gaming but it's simply not there which = even less value). Consider what happens if we OC the 8350K, lol. Need to consider much else?

But leave Ryzen for the fanboys. What's more interesting is the 8350K beats up on everything but the previous 7700K, and it's otherwise nearly even with it. For all those ppl that think they "need" an 8700K for gaming, or even an i5, they should probably not be wasting their money. Granted some games can make use of more cores but the point is this is a game released just a day ago, literally, and was largely designed for consoles (where the CPUs are heavily threaded), and look at the results. We're not going to have games tomorrow that need 12 threads and/or are optimised for Ryzen's silly architecture and substandard HT. Not. Going. To happen.

Furthermore as I said before buying an i7 now just wastes the new value Intel has given us with CL. Even if we think that "someday" games will really make use of 6 cores, the i5 is plenty. I don't understand why people want to run out and get an 8700K unless they really have a use for what it can do. Granted there are such cases, but I suspect many people just want to buy an i7 because it's an i7 instead of stopping to think of the value offered by the quad-core i3 and now hex-core i5.

Again buy what you guys want but just remember Ryzen is really not for gaming and it's not good value under $600; and you don't need to spend money on things you won't make use of or take advantage of.
Oct 28, 2005
331 posts
63 upvotes
If only these were in stock =(
Any idea where the best place to check for stock? Any automatic trackers out there I can use to alert me?