Computers & Electronics

I7 8700k/Coffee Lake order waiting thread.

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 16th, 2017 8:01 pm
Nov 5, 2010
20 posts
canada
Just asked Mike's Customer support about an ETA and they still have no words from Intel. Disappointed But Relieved Face

I'm only missing the CPU to complet my new build and having no ETA is killing me ! Especilly when i go home and i see all the other parts waiting by my desk.

So are you guys upgrading or building a new pc ?
Oct 28, 2005
331 posts
63 upvotes
Sold all my mobo+cpu while they still have value, using my old pc now and it's surprisingly still snappy.

Going to build new pc because it's fun, exciting, and #yolo
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2008
1244 posts
286 upvotes
mississauga
probably going to turn my current rig into a mining rig.
[OP]
Sep 1, 2011
233 posts
111 upvotes
Toronto
TypeVR6 wrote:
Oct 19th, 2017 6:46 pm
Yeh, they received stock today :)
They also received stock yesterday again. 10+ online, and I managed to jump on it. It's shipping as we speak, arriving Monday. It seems like CC is getting stock on Thursdays. Just a trickle, 10-15 at most.
Oct 26, 2017
1 posts
1 upvote
Memory express have some in stock right now!! memoryexpress.com/Products/MX68284
Dec 1, 2010
783 posts
255 upvotes
GTA
Just out of curiosity about these processors, and overall I was wondering, between these 2, what's better to have? Higher clockspeed (400mhz more) or Hyperthreading?

Core i5-8600K 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor vs Core i7-8700(non K) 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2004
21649 posts
2405 upvotes
heyyahblah wrote:
Oct 27th, 2017 1:37 pm
Just out of curiosity about these processors, and overall I was wondering, between these 2, what's better to have? Higher clockspeed (400mhz more) or Hyperthreading?

Core i5-8600K 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor vs Core i7-8700(non K) 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor
The 8700 actually runs a solid 4.3Ghz on all-six under boost, though without good cooling this may get curtailed. The 8600K, runs only 4.1Ghz on all-six but can be OC'd higher. It will run cooler at the same speed as well due to not having HT.

The processors are similar in clocks (again not counting if you OC the 8600K) but the i7 has both higher clocks and HT to make it the faster processor. Intel has been very careful for a long time to make sure i7s don't end up slower than i5s, speaking of full-power DT CPUs (S and T CPUs are not included but can be compared against each other--i.e i5-S v. i7-S--and come out similarly).

The i7 is the better processor but it's $50 (US) more, probably more like $70 more here.

FYI: These may be incorrect since Intel no longer publishes, but the turbo bins are like this on these CPUs:
8600K: 5/5/6/6/6/7
8700: 11/11/11/12/13/14

So with no OC on the i5 you have 4.1 on six and 4.2 on four (IMO the four-core speed is probably the most important for now); on the i7 you have 4.3 on six and you still have 4.3 on four. On a single core, the i7 will do a lofty 4.7 whereas the i5 is only at 4.3.

The K can be OC'd, possibly just as high as the i7 with the high boost bins, but it'll never have HT.

Still I recommend saving the $70 or so and getting the i5.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
1302 posts
26 upvotes
beastof259 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 12:22 pm
Mike's currently has the i7-8700 in stock (showing 30 available).
https://www.mikescomputershop.com/product/8613676

Still no i7-8700K for me and i'm stubborn. Crying Face
$399, is that a good price? Is this Intel's way to keep the price up with low supply? Or are they actually having problems pumping out these parts?

I am considering an i5-8400, but I don't know if it's better to wait or if this chips will go up in price later - but, with new AMD chips to come out, they should come down in price, shouldn't they?

I heard some shops like Mike's Computer was really offering good CS while people wait for their processors. Maybe, it's a good time to buy for that service?
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2004
21649 posts
2405 upvotes
teleguitar wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 5:00 pm
$399, is that a good price? Is this Intel's way to keep the price up with low supply? Or are they actually having problems pumping out these parts?
$400 for the non-K is a pretty standard price, it's nothing special but it's probably as good as you'll get until next year. It's really not that bad though given the K is $100 more and I don't think worth it unless you're planning to be at over 5Ghz and lucky enough to get one that does that speed without a bunch of voltage (read: a ton of heat). As for supply, I think they just launched them sooner than they really wanted to, so supply probably won't be healthy until H boards arrive--i.e. early 2018.
teleguitar wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 5:00 pm
I am considering an i5-8400, but I don't know if it's better to wait or if this chips will go up in price later - but, with new AMD chips to come out, they should come down in price, shouldn't they?
I have a feeling the 8100 may increase in price given it happened with the G3258 and G4560 in previous years (the bargain winner processors), but the 8400 I doubt it. AMD doesn't have anything right now to make these processors go down in price. AMD's prices are higher already (which is ridiculous) and it seems they just cut prices to come inline with Intel, but not get any cheaper. Intel therefore has nothing to push them to lower prices--this is huge enough them now offering QCs at i3 pricing and six-core processors above that. The only one that needs to lower prices now is AMD because they are priced higher and offer less (no iGPU, less per-core performance, and a less polished, less mature product).

Now if AMD would get off their "moar cores" nonsense and release Raven Ridge CPUs for desktop then we might see something happen. For example something like say Ryzen 5 QC + GPU power between RX 560 and RX 570, for the right price? Now that could shake things up. But the way AMD is going now with their nonsense, it's doubtful--they seem to be putting next to no effort into Raven Ridge, or at least it seems that way.

Once H and B chipset boards are out for Coffee Lake, Ryzen is basically finished in the mainstream (personally I never thought it was worth buying to begin with but at that point not even the misguided folks that are still talking about "expensive Z370 boards" will have anything to whine about.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
1302 posts
26 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 9:16 pm
$400 for the non-K is a pretty standard price, it's nothing special but it's probably as good as you'll get until next year. It's really not that bad though given the K is $100 more and I don't think worth it unless you're planning to be at over 5Ghz and lucky enough to get one that does that speed without a bunch of voltage (read: a ton of heat). As for supply, I think they just launched them sooner than they really wanted to, so supply probably won't be healthy until H boards arrive--i.e. early 2018.

I have a feeling the 8100 may increase in price given it happened with the G3258 and G4560 in previous years (the bargain winner processors), but the 8400 I doubt it. AMD doesn't have anything right now to make these processors go down in price. AMD's prices are higher already (which is ridiculous) and it seems they just cut prices to come inline with Intel, but not get any cheaper. Intel therefore has nothing to push them to lower prices--this is huge enough them now offering QCs at i3 pricing and six-core processors above that. The only one that needs to lower prices now is AMD because they are priced higher and offer less (no iGPU, less per-core performance, and a less polished, less mature product).

Now if AMD would get off their "moar cores" nonsense and release Raven Ridge CPUs for desktop then we might see something happen. For example something like say Ryzen 5 QC + GPU power between RX 560 and RX 570, for the right price? Now that could shake things up. But the way AMD is going now with their nonsense, it's doubtful--they seem to be putting next to no effort into Raven Ridge, or at least it seems that way.

Once H and B chipset boards are out for Coffee Lake, Ryzen is basically finished in the mainstream (personally I never thought it was worth buying to begin with but at that point not even the misguided folks that are still talking about "expensive Z370 boards" will have anything to whine about.
Do you have an opinion about the i3-8100? How much more $$ do you suppose it would increase? I think the current price is fair cuz with taxes, it's $175? I probably would budget about $200 (tops) for a cpu for a budget build - as I'm trying to get something worth an upgrade of my system (LGA 775/Q6600 cpu) and I can use the onboard graphics or use my card? I could also use the onboard graphics and sell my EVGA GTX 750 (does it have any value now?) to help finance the build? Yes, the problem is there are no H or B mobos yet (H370 and B360?). I'd probably upgrade in Q1/2018, too, but I really would like to get a SSD now (and also want to start using W10.). :)

Ryzen might have a better upgrade path as their sockets allow more choices but I didn't upgrade my cpu all this time and the Coffe Lake upgrade (Although, limited) options are still pretty good. The good thing about the Intel chips (particularly, Coffelake - for later on) is that they should be in demand as 'gaming chips' since their single core performance is good for gaming, especially. I thought the i3 and i5 chips (locked) are pretty decent for power efficiency and seem to have decent temps for the idle/loads - I was trying to compare to Ryzen.

I guess anyone deciding to buy i7 8700k only have to wait for their cpu, eh? I think the Asrock and MSI Z370 boards look good. I was almost considering Z370 boards with the plan of upgrading to an i7 8700k later on since I don't tend to go to the next gen until it's moved one or two already (as one can tell from my hardware). :) My 'upgrade' would be the 'top' cpu (on that socket) after tech. has already moved to the next gen. :)
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
7706 posts
1217 upvotes
London
ES_Revenge wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 9:16 pm

Thanks, bought an 8100 today for $142.99 plus tax.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
1302 posts
26 upvotes
apvm wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 12:35 pm
Thanks, bought an 8100 today for $142.99 plus tax.
Do you have a mobo already? Does it make any sense to buy a cpu and wait for the rest of the Coffee Lake motherboards to be released? Is it only the Z370 boards that allow the increase of memory/RAM speeds? The Z370 boards allow increasing beyond 2133 or 2400mhz but then it's overclocked?

If you 'sit on' a cpu for a month or two, is that an unwise move? A mobo or RAM is more likely to be defective than cpu, right?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
7706 posts
1217 upvotes
London
teleguitar wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 3:36 pm
Do you have a mobo already? Does it make any sense to buy a cpu and wait for the rest of the Coffee Lake motherboards to be released? Is it only the Z370 boards that allow the increase of memory/RAM speeds? The Z370 boards allow increasing beyond 2133 or 2400mhz but then it's overclocked?

If you 'sit on' a cpu for a month or two, is that an unwise move? A mobo or RAM is more likely to be defective than cpu, right?
Well B360 should be available early next year and Intel RMA is pretty good just in case I received a DOA cpu. I may even able to pick up a cheap Z370 board during Black Friday.