Hot Deals

[IBM] 12" Macbooks - $90 off + additional 5% if buying two ($965.09 All In each)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 12th, 2017 12:17 pm
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10733 posts
1742 upvotes
Ottawa
It's hard to believe a company the size of IBM operates a storefront which is so completely whack.

If people are all getting 2016 models that are like brand new, guess it's worth the risk

I really like my 2017.....even though it was a lot more expensive.
Honey, I can't go to bed yet. Somebody is wrong on the Internet!
Dec 7, 2009
734 posts
81 upvotes
12" macbook arrived today. Ordered last Friday. No heads up or notification of delivery/tracking sent after order was confirmed by IBM. Nothing got flagged in myChoice UPS and I was never able to get through to IBM to find out when it was coming. That experience could definitely be improved.

Got his and hers MacBooks, one with 4 and one with 7 cycles used, so happy about that. Confirmed both are the early 2016 model. With some of the recent chat on this thread I was getting a bit worried that it could end up being a 2015 model. So far, feel pretty happy about this deal. Keyboard might take a bit of getting used to. Not sure if it's because i'm coming from something bigger or if i's just different.
Oct 13, 2013
206 posts
79 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
GotDaFunk wrote:
Nov 24th, 2017 11:23 pm
12" macbook arrived today. Ordered last Friday. No heads up or notification of delivery/tracking sent after order was confirmed by IBM. Nothing got flagged in myChoice UPS and I was never able to get through to IBM to find out when it was coming. That experience could definitely be improved.

Got his and hers MacBooks, one with 4 and one with 7 cycles used, so happy about that. Confirmed both are the early 2016 model. With some of the recent chat on this thread I was getting a bit worried that it could end up being a 2015 model. So far, feel pretty happy about this deal. Keyboard might take a bit of getting used to. Not sure if it's because i'm coming from something bigger or if i's just different.
You must be in east coast. Which one did you order btw? APPN4QWY?
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2637 posts
553 upvotes
Toronto
warpdrive wrote:
Nov 24th, 2017 3:19 pm
It's hard to believe a company the size of IBM operates a storefront which is so completely whack.

If people are all getting 2016 models that are like brand new, guess it's worth the risk

I really like my 2017.....even though it was a lot more expensive.
Where can I find a USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 ethernet adapter?

Apparently the Belkin ones sold by Apple Store run really hot and are hit or miss.
Dec 7, 2009
734 posts
81 upvotes
bowen1506 wrote:
Nov 25th, 2017 1:47 am
You must be in east coast. Which one did you order btw? APPN4QWY?
Eastern Ontario. Yes, APPN4QWY.

Looks like it started in Morrisville, NC to Markham. Then re-shipped from Markham to me.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2008
1187 posts
198 upvotes
Oshawa
GotDaFunk wrote:
Nov 25th, 2017 9:37 am

Looks like it started in Morrisville, NC to Markham. Then re-shipped from Markham to me.
I was messing around with the m3 2016 in BB the other day and it seems to run rather smooth. I'm curious how it holds up with a decent amount of tabs open. It's difficult to tell if the system will get bogged down and have lag in the UI at a store.

I love the form factor, the display and the lack of a fan, but not sure if the m5 would be enough for my needs. I'm not doing any photo/video editing, just basic web stuff but would hate to deal with stuttering etc.

Also, I don't have an IBM contact either so that keeps me out of this deal lol.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10733 posts
1742 upvotes
Ottawa
rebel_rfd wrote:
Nov 25th, 2017 7:08 am
Where can I find a USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 ethernet adapter?

Apparently the Belkin ones sold by Apple Store run really hot and are hit or miss.
I'm still looking at options myself for usb-c to multiport with Ethernet. This dongleness of the Macbooks is still a major frustration. it's definitely compounded on this MacBook with one port. There are a number of off brand dongles that seem to be well reviewed on amazon, but I'm always wary of all the fake reviews on amazon.

I'm hoping Apple will introduce a Magsafe adapter for charging because replugging in a usb c cord every day will wear it down faster.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10733 posts
1742 upvotes
Ottawa
dieselboy27 wrote:
Nov 25th, 2017 10:06 am
I love the form factor, the display and the lack of a fan, but not sure if the m5 would be enough for my needs. I'm not doing any photo/video editing, just basic web stuff but would hate to deal with stuttering etc.
If you're not in a rush, I'd advise waiting for the 2017 model refurbs to be available, say next year. There is a very noticeable difference in performance between it and the 2015, enough that I'd say the 2017 would be a good as a general purpose computer. If nothing else, full hardware video decoding for HEVC is going to mean that the computer won't have trouble with any videos you throw at it as the industry moves toward HEVC including Apple (already supported in High Sierra).

That's why I chose the 2017 as my main laptop going forward for the next 5 years. I can use it for documents/net/videos and even some light development.
Dec 7, 2009
734 posts
81 upvotes
warpdrive wrote:
Nov 25th, 2017 2:25 pm
I'm still looking at options myself for usb-c to multiport with Ethernet. This dongleness of the Macbooks is still a major frustration. it's definitely compounded on this MacBook with one port. There are a number of off brand dongles that seem to be well reviewed on amazon, but I'm always wary of all the fake reviews on amazon.

I'm hoping Apple will introduce a Magsafe adapter for charging because replugging in a usb c cord every day will wear it down faster.
I'm looking for a hub/dongle now too. I searched the old thread on the macbooks from April, however, people there didn't seem to be a runaway best option. I'm currently looking at primecables and this as my current best option.
Oct 13, 2013
206 posts
79 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
GotDaFunk wrote:
Nov 25th, 2017 9:37 am

It annoys me to no end that all tech related orders are shipped from the east coast. It's like no matter where I shop at...It's without fail...ALWAYS shipped from the east coast. US shipments are even worse because they are diverted to Ontario first no matter where it originated from in the US. For us who are in Vancouver with long wait or even expensive shipping....WHY?? Is the west coast really that under developed?
Jul 2, 2006
47 posts
6 upvotes
Ottawa
GotDaFunk wrote:
Nov 25th, 2017 3:58 pm
I'm looking for a hub/dongle now too. I searched the old thread on the macbooks from April, however, people there didn't seem to be a runaway best option. I'm currently looking at primecables and this as my current best option.
I bought this MacBook from IBM in April. It works great and it is great for travel, but the keyboard ... I cannot type with the keyboard except for a very short time.

AS for the USB-c hub, I bought the MINIX NEO C-X USB-C Multiport Adapter with HDMI from Amazon in June. It is still working very well. I use it all the time and it gets warm but not hot. It also offers colours to match your MacBook. Trying to save money, I bought a much cheaper Aukey USB hub earlier, but the HDMI connection sometimes works and sometimes does not. So I end up spending more money!
Last edited by bfungyau on Nov 25th, 2017 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2637 posts
553 upvotes
Toronto
bowen1506 wrote:
Nov 25th, 2017 5:04 pm
It annoys me to no end that all tech related orders are shipped from the east coast. It's like no matter where I shop at...It's without fail...ALWAYS shipped from the east coast. US shipments are even worse because they are diverted to Ontario first no matter where it originated from in the US. For us who are in Vancouver with long wait or even expensive shipping....WHY?? Is the west coast really that under developed?
You guys already get a beautiful view of the Rockies, so a lot more patient folks than East Coast.

I mean, where else can you go Skiing on Sat in Whistler and go swim in the Pacific on Sunday?

Feel free to move to Toronto lol.
Jul 31, 2017
10 posts
4 upvotes
they're having an unadvertised cyber monday sale - you'll need to get in touch with one of the reps to get the deal (chat or call):

refurbished late-2016 15" Macbook Pro APPN1ZQL today $1,199CAD+tx

PROC(COREI7-4770HQ),PRSPEED(2.2)
RAM(16GB),OEM_HDD(512GB)
HDD_TYPE(SSD)
NB_NETCARD(BLUETOOTH)
NB_NETCARD(WIFI)
SOFTWARE(MACX),LCD(WIDE)
LCD_SCREEN_SIZE(15.5),EXTRAS(CAMERA)
Oct 13, 2013
206 posts
79 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
mgmikhaiel636229308174932000 wrote:
Nov 27th, 2017 5:10 pm
they're having an unadvertised cyber monday sale - you'll need to get in touch with one of the reps to get the deal (chat or call):

refurbished late-2016 15" Macbook Pro APPN1ZQL today $1,199CAD+tx

PROC(COREI7-4770HQ),PRSPEED(2.2)
RAM(16GB),OEM_HDD(512GB)
HDD_TYPE(SSD)
NB_NETCARD(BLUETOOTH)
NB_NETCARD(WIFI)
SOFTWARE(MACX),LCD(WIDE)
LCD_SCREEN_SIZE(15.5),EXTRAS(CAMERA)
This is seems like a deal that is too good to be true. Also note that the 12' macbooks are labled "Apple Certified" and not refurb. These are essentially refurbished in apple's factory. Who knows what kind of condition you will get from IBM/FLEXTRONICS refurb. I wouldn't risk it. Previous refurb macbooks pro 15 deals had people report getting dinged up machines.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)