• Sep 1st, 2017 10:27 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9849 posts
4226 upvotes
Southern Ontario
blisterd_nuts wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2017 12:45 pm
Dang those who are not happy with their laptops, can you describe when you purchased it?

I'm thinking all the good ones we're sent out first and the crap ones were left for the laggard buyers
That would be a poor business decision. Rather, keep it random to maintain sales, and hope the odd person who gets one cosmetically flawed keeps it.
Aug 3, 2012
121 posts
89 upvotes
Port Coquitlam
klover wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2017 10:45 am
Coconut battery shows 21. That's next to nothing really for a 3000-cycle battery. Wouldn't have even worried about that if the cosmetic issues weren't so pronounced.
Would you be able to upload a picture of the cosmetics?
Feb 9, 2014
985 posts
2207 upvotes
Toronto
klover wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2017 10:45 am
Coconut battery shows 21. That's next to nothing really for a 3000-cycle battery. Wouldn't have even worried about that if the cosmetic issues weren't so pronounced.
A 3000 cycle battery? Are you insane? Apple recommends that many of their Macbook's including the 12" Retina MacBook should have its battery replaced once it reaches 1000 cycles because at this point the battery is considered to be consumed. Even once you reach over 500 cycles, you will notice that the battery won't hold its charge for as long and that it will deplete faster. 2000 cycles let alone 3000 cycles is ridiculous and a recipe for a disaster. I would feel very unsafe using any device with that much battery usage.

Another reason why I sold my 12" MacBook was because the battery life on it wasn't so great and the battery degraded quickly (2015 model). There is a huge thread on Macrumors about the battery degrading issue on the 12" MacBook that a lot of people have noticed.
Dec 4, 2013
33 posts
32 upvotes
Calgary
I'm getting really worried about my order at this point.
I placed it on Tuesday with a visa debit and the money was taken out of my account immediately and showed the charge as: "OPOS SDADAFSDFP ORANG" not as "IBM USA" or "IBM Canada". Still no confirmation email or call; didnt even get any automated confirmation email when I first placed the order either, it only gave me an automated page with an order number that I took a picture of but does not seem to be active when I track it on their website.
I tried emailing one of their representatives but the email they sent me seemed to be meant for someone else because it had a completely different order number.

Any advice on when I should expect an email or call after placing an order? I cannot call them on the weekend either because they are closed, so any advice would be appreciated.
Aug 22, 2007
28 posts
11 upvotes
YYCcalgarydeals wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2017 1:48 pm
I placed it on Tuesday with a visa debit and the money was taken out of my account immediately and showed the charge as: "OPOS SDADAFSDFP ORANG" not as "IBM USA" or "IBM Canada". Still no confirmation email or call; didnt even get any automated confirmation email when I first placed the order either, it only gave me an automated page with an order number that I took a picture of but does not seem to be active when I track it on their website.
I tried emailing one of their representatives but the email they sent me seemed to be meant for someone else because it had a completely different order number.

Any advice on when I should expect an email or call after placing an order? I cannot call them on the weekend either because they are closed, so any advice would be appreciated.
It took me 4 business days to get my call from Brazil. After the Brazil call it took 2 more days to ship.
That SDADAFSDFP charge took a week after ordering to change into IBM Canada.
Oct 1, 2010
5 posts
I received my m5 yesterday but changed my mind. Looking to sell it at cost. PM me if you are interested or I will just return it back. The m5 looks brand new to me with battery cycle count of 9 only. Color is space grey. Meet within Richmond Hill area only.
Last edited by nomisual on Apr 22nd, 2017 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 4, 2013
33 posts
32 upvotes
Calgary
bamrobinson wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2017 2:06 pm
It took me 4 business days to get my call from Brazil. After the Brazil call it took 2 more days to ship.
That SDADAFSDFP charge took a week after ordering to change into IBM Canada.
Thank you for the reply! That puts me a little more at ease. Hopefully I get the call on Monday
Feb 20, 2002
688 posts
140 upvotes
YYCcalgarydeals wrote:

Did you check your spam? Also, why not give them a call instead of speculating on this forum?
Sep 15, 2012
145 posts
9 upvotes
CARLETON PLACE
I haven't received a shipped notice yet, but Friday I came home from work to find a note on my door that UPS tried to deliver a package. I have to wait until Monday to pick it up at the access point, so hard to wait!
Aug 22, 2007
28 posts
11 upvotes
vader_slri wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2017 2:29 pm
Did you check your spam? Also, why not give them a call instead of speculating on this forum?
They are closed on the weekend. I tried calling them last weekend for the same reason. In the end everything worked out fine, I never got a shipping notice either.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2008
1564 posts
100 upvotes
YYCcalgarydeals wrote:

I placed my order several days before you and I got nothing so far, save SDADAFSDFP instantly on my cc which has now disappeared. I gave IBM certified equipment people a call as it's been a week since I ordered, the CSR sent an email to Brazil to verify my order , but still nothing. I am on the verge of just cancelling my order
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
14112 posts
2350 upvotes
Toronto
blindemboss wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2017 10:48 am
Rumour has it, an updated MacBook happens this coming Tuesday...if it follows last year's schedule.

Of course if your needs for video encoding is critical, then wait for Kaby Lake.
But for most, Kaby Lake itself probably won't justify paying (likely) close to double the price of this deal.

Now, if there's an additional USB-C port and TouchID built-in and higher resolution i-sight camera, the decision gets tougher, as those features may add a few more years to the machine.
Actually, I'm not hugely concerned with encoding performance. I'm more concerned about battery life with video decoding from various sources. For example, Skylake has only partial hardware decoding for both h.265 and and VP9, with no hardware decoding at all for 10-bit VP9. VP9 is Google's baby, and Google is transitioning YouTube to VP9. Chrome is my primary browser, which is a Google product. Kaby Lake CPUs can decode most of this stuff just fine in software (except for 4K), but it uses a lot of battery life this way. Hardware decoding is much more efficient.
andyyuen wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2017 11:24 am
Exactly. This is not suppose to be someone's primary 4k video encoding machine. It is a travel laptop. When the new macbooks come out, there won't be refurbished for a while. So the price will be 1649+tax for the new model if price doesn't change.

Apple has been keeping 4gb of ram for so long on the macbook air, so we will be sure 8gb would still be as the base model for next one coming. 16gb will be extra$$$.

EugW, If you want this for video encoding, more ram, more ports etc etc. Why don't you go for new macbook pro 2017 with Kaby lake refresh ? that is exactly what you are describing no? instead of complain about a coreM machine? Doesn't make any sense. By the time you add up all the things that you wanted from the posts i saw, more ram, kaby lake, apple care etc etc.. you are spending over 2 grand.
Nah. I expect the Kaby Lake model with 8 GB RAM and hardware decoding to be around $1500 or so for edu with the new model. I wouldn't bother with extra Apple Care, because the credit card will support the second year of warranty.

My comment about the possible discontinuation of the MacBook Air along with the possible release of the 16 GB MacBook was just a hope that it would also be accompanied by a price drop of the 8 GB MacBook models by a little bit. Wishful thinking I know, but I won't really know until they're released, so I'll wait the few short weeks until the release happens before making an informed decision.
blindemboss wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2017 11:38 am
No, I totally agree. This machine was not meant to be a video editing suite.
I suppose, many just want to have the ability to do the odd video project on their MacBook.
And it's RFD, and everyone wants everything for nothing! :)
In this case, that's not really accurate. My dilemma is whether I should spend less and get Skylake, or spend MORE and get Kaby Lake. Right now I'm leaning toward the latter, but I haven't decided yet. I will decide once the new models and their pricing are announced.

If I did spend less though and got the IBM unit and assuming I got one without a dent in it or something, the silver lining is that it'd be much easier to recoup much of that cost in a couple of years should I decide to upgrade then. That's one of the great advantages of getting this unit for this very decent price.
May 8, 2016
232 posts
236 upvotes
leoben wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2017 4:19 pm
I placed my order several days before you and I got nothing so far, save SDADAFSDFP instantly on my cc which has now disappeared. I gave IBM certified equipment people a call as it's been a week since I ordered, the CSR sent an email to Brazil to verify my order , but still nothing. I am on the verge of just cancelling my order
Guys you're fine. It's not like a small, tiny, minuscule company like IBM with 0 reputation is taking off with your measly $1000. It sounds like a lot of money to you, but it's absolutely nothing to them. Go outside, inhale some fresh air and get your heads right. You're grown men stressing over a $1000 purchase, throwing fits and pouring out your emotions on a forum.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
23761 posts
1619 upvotes
Hamilton
Katsiki wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2017 6:13 pm
Guys you're fine. It's not like a small, tiny, minuscule company like IBM with 0 reputation is taking off with your measly $1000. It sounds like a lot of money to you, but it's absolutely nothing to them. Go outside, inhale some fresh air and get your heads right. You're grown men stressing over a $1000 purchase, throwing fits and pouring out your emotions on a forum.
Right now I'm stressing out if they gonna send me a bad condition laptop :(

The $1000, i aint worry. CC got my back lol
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2008
1564 posts
100 upvotes
Katsiki wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2017 6:13 pm
um.. i don't think anyone here is worried about IBM taking their money haha... we are not dealing with kijiji here. just a little annoyed about my order from over a week ago not having any activity when some others who ordered it later than me already received the laptop. and it seems the longer you wait the higher the probability of your receiving a less pristine unit. but thanks in any case for caring about our well being