[OP]
Deal Addict
May 14, 2005
1717 posts
509 upvotes
Markham
xRFDLurker wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2017 10:59 pm
Anyone else looking to get an external battery pack?

I found this one:
https://9to5mac.com/2016/06/10/review-k ... ook-video/
https://www.kanex.com/gopower-usbc

Can be purchased here: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... 00mah.html
a lot of people are reporting 8-11 hr continuous battery life depending on usage due to lower power consumption of the m-series processor.

unless you will be at a place where you won't get a power outlet for two days in a row(ie. i have friends that went backpacking)
the extra battery will just be another thing you are lugging around imo.

what would be the use of external battery for u?
Oct 5, 2008
821 posts
63 upvotes
andyyuen wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2017 11:28 pm
what would be the use of external battery for u?
- power supply for other devices
- charging while traveling
- OCD fix
Apr 24, 2017
748 posts
269 upvotes
Waterloo
anyone know how the return process works? I'm returning the m5 one and keeping the m3. is return shipping covered?
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
13984 posts
2302 upvotes
Toronto
Sicklyslick wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2017 3:35 am
anyone know how the return process works? I'm returning the m5 one and keeping the m3. is return shipping covered?
M5 not a noticeable improvement? Or just not necessary?
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
1223 posts
221 upvotes
Toronto
EugW wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2017 6:55 am
Curious myself. I'm wondering if the M3 would suffice for basic non-video apps like Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2008
1097 posts
160 upvotes
I hear everyone mentioning video editing etc, but I would primarily be interested in knowing whether the m5 can run the os with lots of browser tabs and not have UI lag etc. I heard the m3 can get a bit bogged down. The other thing to worry about is how future os updates will affect the performance of these cpus.
Aug 12, 2011
223 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
Has anyone tried virtualising windows 10 with m3? Is it good enough to run that?
Apr 24, 2017
748 posts
269 upvotes
Waterloo
EugW wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2017 6:55 am
I actually didn't even open the m5. the m3 does the job fine and I dont want to spend 300 more on the m5.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
13984 posts
2302 upvotes
Toronto
Sicklyslick wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2017 11:42 am
I actually didn't even open the m5. the m3 does the job fine and I dont want to spend 300 more on the m5.
Oh OK.

All I know is that the when I tested the 2016 Core M Macbook in store and it was noticeably faster than my Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro with SSD, but also noticeably slower than the MacBook Pro 2016, even for web surfing. However, for light overall usage the Core M was fine, but I've never tested an M3 vs M5 side by side.
Jul 11, 2008
602 posts
201 upvotes
FYI for what it's worth:

When I placed this order the CSR directly told me that they have so many because they came directly from Apple refurb, and he said until recently all the non-space grey are not a regular item for them. He said his department thinks they partnered with IBM to make way for the new MacBook.

Again, take that for what it's worth.

mp
Sep 7, 2003
385 posts
27 upvotes
MexicanPeso wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2017 1:42 pm
FYI for what it's worth:

When I placed this order the CSR directly told me that they have so many because they came directly from Apple refurb, and he said until recently all the non-space grey are not a regular item for them. He said his department thinks they partnered with IBM to make way for the new MacBook.

Again, take that for what it's worth.

mp
Makes a lot of sense actually. The Macbook will probably get a spec upgrade pretty quickly.
Jul 11, 2008
602 posts
201 upvotes
As to the Warranty:

Could someone who has received their machines see if they can get warranty verification from the look up on the upper right side of this page"

https://www-947.ibm.com/systems/support ... index.html

Actually directly here:

https://support.podc.sl.edst.ibm.com/su ... nty-lookup

There is a warranty page as well but does not indicate warranty length. I need this for my credit card to extend the warranty to the 24 month mark. As said earlier the copy of the statement, invoice, warranty proof will be needed. Im trying to see if my card with a max of doubled warranty extension up to one year, means that 15 months goes to 2 years, or 15 months plus 1 year for 27 months.

I will come back when I get an answer.

mp
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
23720 posts
1608 upvotes
Hamilton
Update: just received a email asking for billing , visa and employee name

Ordered on Thursday
Oct 2, 2007
40 posts
8 upvotes
YYC
Hey guys, I got my m5 on Friday. First impressions were perfect - It looked like Apple retail packaging, it came wrapped in a plastic sleeve as well with a screen protector. It was Space Grey (the darker grey) which I'm super happy with! Looks great. Perfectly brand new condition. The adaptor was brand new. Cycle count was 3 on the battery. It was running an older version of OSX so I couldn't migrate from my 2015 MBA until I ran the updates (a couple hour process).

After a couple days of using it, I can say that my browser runs great so far with no lags, unlike my MBA - Perhaps this had something to do with the 8GB ram in the MacBook vs 4GB in the MBA.
-The screen is amazing, and as suggested by someone else I downloaded SwitchResX and upped the resolution by a lot, and it looks perfect.
-I figured having the one port was going to be an issue and I was looking at powered hubs so I could charge and use USB at the same time, but now I'm thinking I might be fine with just a couple adaptors and no hub. The 512 GB HD will be a lifesaver for me, as my first MBA was 128 GB and it was a constant battle to have free space. The 256 GB was great, I never ran out of storage, but still had to use an external HD. Now with the 512 GB I can have all my photos on it (I'm using iCloud storage as my library was approaching 200GB), plus I can backup my iPhone, and have space for movies, etc. So I shouldn't need a hub, but I might just pick up one of the $15 ones as I doubt I'll need to charge it at the same time.
-Battery life is amazing so far.
-Speakers are great, and loud!
-Using AirPlay last night was seamless, I feel like my MBA screen sometimes juttered when I'd start AirPlay.
-The force touch trackpad is great, very responsive, but I have no idea what the features of it are just yet (light press vs hard press, etc). I'll have to do some reading.
-Finally the keyboard... Yes feels different. But it's a full sized keyboard, as big as the one on my MBA. I think the thing I don't like about it is that the keys are all on the same level with very little space between them, so it's tough to tell where your hands are. The key travel is fine, and I actually like typing on it. I'm sure I'll get used to it over the next few days. Definitely not worth losing out on this great piece of technology.

They day after I placed the order I got the call from Brazil asking for IBM employee info or a business address. I didn't want to call back so I waited a few days and received an email. So I replied... found the name of an IBM employee in Canada online, and also gave the name of a business (not registered). This was enough to get my order going. After the $80 price reduction I emailed back and asked if I should cancel and reorder or if they could adjust - They put $80+tax back onto my CC.

If I'm patient I should be able to sell my MBA 2015 and get close to wait I paid for this. It's pretty clear the MBA is dead in the water - Apple hasn't updated it significantly at all since it was released. Just another reason I'd recommend jumping on this deal! If ever the MacBook gets a 2nd USB C port it'll probably be at the expense of the headphone jack - So I'll keep it the way it is for now.
Last edited by snitch1 on Apr 23rd, 2017 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.